sunshine

Downtown Orlando Project Discussion

10 minutes ago, bqknight said:

According to OBJ - the Suntrust Building will be going under some renovations when Suntrust leave. 

Meanwhile, the potential new opportunities — totaling several million dollars worth of construction — at SunTrust Center include:

• New branding at the top of the building after SunTrust leaves
  • Installing an interactive lighting structure 
  • Activating the green space near the building by bringing in more seating
  • Upgrading the main lobby hall and adding amenities, including a food hall

So, not just the offices will leave then?  Meaning, the first floor bank will shut down too?  All of the bank desks and kiosks?

7 minutes ago, jrs2 said:

So, not just the offices will leave then?  Meaning, the first floor bank will shut down too?  All of the bank desks and kiosks?

This leads me to believe SunTrust is pulling a Chase with the bank branch as an afterthought tucked around the corner instead of the focal point of the ground floor.

Given I haven't needed a bank branch for a couple of decades, it makes sense, but nevertheless it's an anachronism that seems fitting for the bank's supposed major facility in the state.

OTOH, Trust long ago became the major partner from the merger rather than Sun so I guess that sort of extravagance belongs in Atlanta.

If the bank branch is going to the new building, I hope they plan to do a lot more to make it pedestrian-friendly. At the moment, I'd rather eat dirt than walk along South Street.

• Like 1

I wonder if they'll pull a Wells Fargo and put another atm closer to Central.  They already have that one on the Sentinel property, but I assume its days are numbered.  Does that just leave Regions and BOA as having traditional big bank branches on the ground floor of buildings downtown?  The Wells Fargo one is more of a suburban branch inside a DT building.

• Like 1

The building where First Green Bank is was built with a main banking floor (for the old Citizens Bank) but I have no idea if it's still used for that purpose. Same with PNC across from Lake Eola (the building was built for Southeast Bank.)

Come to think of it, BB&T, Seaside Bank, Eola Park Center and Fairwinds all had banking floors when they opened. I have no idea how many are still intact. Also, the old First Federal at Church and Magnolia (no idea) and the Insight credit union on Robinson.

Well they leased about 4k sqft on the ground floor of CSP. I would assume that would be for a branch.

So WC is coming to the US in 2026. Orlando is a potential host. I think we get cut but maybe we can use this to get expanded Sunrail out to attractions and airport to handle this event. Would be huge for the area to basically get that going by the massive tourist influx for a few weeks.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, popsiclebrandon said:

So WC is coming to the US in 2026. Orlando is a potential host. I think we get cut but maybe we can use this to get expanded Sunrail out to attractions and airport to handle this event. Would be huge for the area to basically get that going by the massive tourist influx for a few weeks.

I think we're right on that line. We hosted it in 1994 and I think our biggest draw is being a tourist destination to begin with. The large Brazilian population certainly helps as well. Guess we'll see how well our people can lobby in the coming years. 

Miami being a lock is going to hurt us a lot, plus the brutal summer heat. But being past host will be important and our tourism infrastructure beats just about everyone. I4 will be done (hopefully) and if they can promise better light rail it might happen. Nashville voting against it probably helps us.

16 minutes ago, popsiclebrandon said:

Miami being a lock is going to hurt us a lot, plus the brutal summer heat. But being past host will be important and our tourism infrastructure beats just about everyone. I4 will be done (hopefully) and if they can promise better light rail it might happen. Nashville voting against it probably helps us.

with some luck, the brightline connection to miami will be done, so miami/orlando could be a good partnership and a positive with the ease of getting between the two...

• Like 4

Orlando will be a serious contender if we can finally get Sunrail to connect to the airport and international drive. Those connections will take the tourists seemlessly from the airport to the hotels and from the hotels to the stadium.

Edited by Urban Mail Carrier
Add to my thought

14 minutes ago, JFW657 said:

I thought there was more than one WC host city.

Why not Miami AND Orlando?

Last time, we just had quarter-final games and there were other games throughout the country as teams advanced or were eliminated. I assume it will work that way in 2026 except there  will also be games played in Mexico and Canada as well as the US, assuming we haven't declared war on them by then. 

Edited by spenser1058
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, spenser1058 said:

Last time, we just had quarter-final games and there were other games throughout the country as teams advanced or were eliminated. I assume it will work that way in 2026 except there  will also be games played in Mexico and Canada as well as the US, assuming we haven't declared war on them by then. 

...or having walled them off...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, jrs2 said:

...or having walled them off...

The USA is holding, I believe it is 60 of 80 games. 2026 will the first year of the newly expanded 48 team competition, which is why the joint bid made sense. The USA will also host all games from the quarterfinals on. 

There are 17 cities in the US still up to host, only 10 will be selected. Here is the list of the remaining possibilities:

Atlanta 
Baltimore 
Boston 
Cincinnati 
Dallas 
Denver 
Houston 
Kansas City 
Los Angeles 
Miami 
Nashville 
New York/New Jersey 
Orlando 
Philadelphia 
San Francisco 
Seattle 
Washington, D.C.

Realistically, us having a soccer team, a strong Brazilian/Latin American presence and the countries busiest tourist destination are what we have going for us. 

• Like 3

Couple of things should put Orlando over the top.  

• Newly renovated Citrus Bowl
  • OC Stadium right down the street likely for practice?
  • Sunrail hopefully would be operating without huge gaps in the schedule
  • If Lightrail isn't visualized yet to I-drive then some serious Sand Lake Road dedicated bus shuttle should be operating between the airport/Sunrail/I-drive
  • Hopefully Brightline is operating between Mia and Orl to make travel between those two cities easier
  • Hotel availability will be better than it is now.

I don't know if Nashville, Cincinnati, or even Denver could compete with Orlando in some of these items.

• Like 4

That is not true. 

Artificial Turf NFL Stadiums: Atlanta, Boston, Cincinatti, Dallas, Houston, New York/New Jersey, Seattle.

FIFA has said that it desired all World Cup games be played on natural grass and has specific requirements for size and surface. (I think they relented and let some games be played on specially approved "FIFA Turf" recently).  I would expect that they would try to get mostly natural grass venues for the games in america. If not NFL stadia, then perhaps college. 

Not to mention that Orlando also has practice fields in Sanford, Lake Nona and UCF and Disney WW of sports.

On another note this can be used as the perfect excuse to push those all important Sunrail connections. I was reading that each venue city can expect to make $500 million in economic activity.

Edited by Urban Mail Carrier

2 hours ago, codypet said:

Couple of things should put Orlando over the top.  

• Hotel availability will be better than it is now.

Obviously that depends on growth, but Orlando has the most hotel rooms on that list, and is #2 in the country only to Vegas, accommodations wise Orlando is the clear top choice on the list. Cost is also lower here then most (if not all) of the places on the list, for nicer hotels too.

The World Cup was specifically awarded to the U.S., Canada, and Mexico, as a single entity. 

Some combination of Toronto, Montreal, Vancouver, Mexico City and Monterrey will surely get games.  

18 minutes ago, I am Reality said:

The World Cup was specifically awarded to the U.S., Canada, and Mexico, as a single entity. 

Some combination of Toronto, Montreal, Vancouver, Mexico City and Monterrey will surely get games.  

Those cities will get a total of 20 games, none past the Round of 16. 

So went through the bid book results.

For stadium Orlando got a 4.1 which is the average and higher than 5 other stadiums and tied with 5 others including Atlanta, Dallas, Bos, and DC. Not sure how because Atlanta and Dallas have new insane stadiums but cool.

For general accommodation we got a 5.0 and for FIFA core group (I assume staff and players?) we got a 4.1. We got the highest score in both.

For transport connectivity (30% intercity and 20% mobility) we received a 3.9. Average is a 3.6. KC got a 2.5, Nash a 3.2, and Cincy a 2.8. On the other side ATL got a 4.3 and Hou a 4.3.

For general accom and connectivity (not sure how this is diff) we received a 4.9 (avg 4.4). For core group a 4.1 (avg 3.4).

For fan fest we received a 3.5 (avg 3.6). This was only below avg score and it ties into iconic locations - Miami was considering something waterfront while we lack stuff downtown with an iconic image. Still scored higher than Dallas, Den, and LA.

Overall not sure how important these will be but its encouraging.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, sunshine said:

I think the major point for Orlando is getting corporate sponsor and money from Disney. 

And Some of that tourism tax money.  The fund is to be used for tourist related items. If this doesn’t count as tourism related, then what does?