sunshine

Downtown Orlando Project Discussion

14 minutes ago, popsiclebrandon said:

Unfortunately FOX was gifted this World Cup by FIFA so Disney isn't involved. Not sure how their merger affects that though. I thought sports was included.

And now Comcast, emboldened by approval of the AT&T- Time Warner merger, has announced an official bid to compete with Disney's. Stay tuned, sports fans! (Or as the late ABC's Keith Jackson would say, "whoa Nellie!")

Comcast, in 2nd Try, Offers $65 Billion Cash for 21st Century Fox  
https://nyti.ms/2HM5eJu?smid=nytcore-ios-share

From the NY Times

Edited by spenser1058

I read something about Comcast not having a shot because they prefer Disney and the rights to Marvel aren't transferable or something through sale so really only Disney can buy them back.

On 6/13/2018 at 1:55 PM, dcluley98 said:

That is not true. 

Artificial Turf NFL Stadiums: Atlanta, Boston, Cincinatti, Dallas, Houston, New York/New Jersey, Seattle.

FIFA has said that it desired all World Cup games be played on natural grass and has specific requirements for size and surface. (I think they relented and let some games be played on specially approved "FIFA Turf" recently).  I would expect that they would try to get mostly natural grass venues for the games in america. If not NFL stadia, then perhaps college. 

They will play in the NFL stadiums. They simply roll out temporary natural grass over the artificial turf.  They did this at the Citrus Bowl (which is also artificial turf BTW)  for the Mexico vs Costa Rica game in 2015.

Edited by Pete C

1 hour ago, I am Reality said:

Yup. FIFA tournaments require natural grass. 

Many European stars when they come to MLS will actually not play games on the few remaining fields that use turf. It’s notorious for causing soccer injuries. 

On 5/22/2018 at 2:12 PM, JFW657 said:

Would really love to see a 100' (10 story) red brick building on the Travelodge site!!! :thumbsup:

It looks like that might be happening! 
Mark has a look at the ARB item for the hotel - https://www.thedailycity.com/blog/downtown-hotel-magnolia-livingston 

The footprint is pretty small, so in order to pack 240 rooms in, there will have to be some height. 

• Like 3

240 rooms, figure 12 rooms per floor, that's 20 floors right there, not counting ground floor lobby, retail, dining, etc.

Lot of discussion about brick facade in the ARB report, too.

Now it's just waiting and hoping.

Yeah, I did a little bit of "re-guesstimating" using the tower portion of the downtown Marriott as a size reference. They have 293 rooms (and 4 suites) in a 14 story tower that has approximately the same size footprint that this building probably would, so I figured that with 53+ fewer rooms it would be closer to ten than to twenty.

Still, eight floors isn't bad at all. Big improvement over what's there now.

I just wish they'd bring the red brick further down. There is some mention of adjusting the brick colors and more closely matching the church next door, in the ARB also posted above.

• Like 2