Downtown Orlando Project Discussion

sunshine

17 hours ago, JFW657 said:

As I recall, it was a bit small for a 7-Eleven.

There used to be a really small 7-Eleven across from OPL at Central and Magnolia where the Stagger Inn is now. It was about half the size of the Summerlin sevvie. That was when most stores were corporate and nowadays they're all franchised so I have no clue if you could do that now.

The fact that it only lasted a couple of years may tell us everything we need to know.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, spenser1058 said:

There used to be a really small 7-Eleven across from OPL at Central and Magnolia where the Stagger Inn is now. It was about half the size of the Summerlin sevvie. That was when most stores were corporate and nowadays they're all franchised so I have no clue if you could do that now.

The fact that it only lasted a couple of years may tell us everything we need to know.

I remember that one well.

Used to go in there for lunch a lot. They had those tall, small diameter, round tables with no chairs by the front window, where you could stand while you ate. I used to love those sandwiches, too. Meatball, Italian sausage, coldcut, chili dogs.... I'm getting hungry and nostalgic all at the same time just thinking about it!!!! :P :cry:

• Like 1

On ‎8‎/‎16‎/‎2018 at 6:15 PM, IAmFloridaBorn said:

Good for you. Don't like it, block me.

I don't think he was singling you out; only commentating (yes, commentating) on the sentiment felt by many, including me, that this has as much chance at success as a Klingon D-7 against the Enterprise E.  

...commenting...

Edited by jrs2

2 hours ago, Urban Mail Carrier said:

¡Omg !! Ok Mr. Sensitive.. I hope u have a great weekend so that u have a good start to the week on Monday and so that u can have the energy to bat down and tackle toxicity and negativity . I enjoy your comments and I look forward to reading them.

I don't have time for personal attacks. No matter how little. I don't know how to block people on here which is why I suggested it. 

At any rate I won't continue to deteail this thread. 

Alright, come on people, we got enough of this already. . . Block whomever you want, stop responding or provoking whomever you want, but don't post it on the board. 

Blocking somebody is a passive event and does not need to be broadcast. These things have a function that works if you do not want to stir the pot or don't want to see or encourage the BS. 

I have no interest in the drama, but like debate. 

Let's keep it that way by being civil and using the tools correctly instead. 

Edited by dcluley98

1 hour ago, Uncommon said:

Paywall ☹️

Cliffsnotes on what the article is about?

Bank of America Center, the Citrus Center and the One Orlando Centre. 

Bank of America Center - Location: 390 N. Orange Ave.

Renovations will focus on the lobby and courtyard. The renovations will open up the lobby into the courtyard and seating, lighting and covered areas in the outdoor space. On the second floor, the improvements include adding a new conference center, which the building currently doesn't have, for tenants to use. The conference center will be Wi-Fi equipped with a catering kitchen, a training room, two smaller conference rooms and a lounge. A fitness center in the building also is slated for renovation with new locker rooms and restrooms.

Citrus Center - Location: 255 S. Orange Ave.

All corridors and restrooms are expected to be renovated in the building. Additionally, renovations will continue in the lobby while Orlando-based New Moon Market, a juice bar, is expected to open in the lobby area.

One Orlando Centre - Location: 800 N. Magnolia Ave. 

Exterior renovations are planned for the building, along with furniture additions and a new conference center on the second floor. Updates are expected for the corridors and restrooms. Additionally, a rotating art gallery, in partnership with art organization Snap! Orlando, will be featured in the building.

Also, I had posted a link to an article earlier, about renovations planned for SunTrust Center after SunTrust moves into the new building.

So it's really four towers set to undergo renovations.

• Like 2

Not to be negative but a whole lot of nothing from the new owners.

keep your eyes on what Piedmont decides to do with the Suntrust Center and Church St Plaza but as far as this new owner goes for the former Cousins and Parkway properties...it’s like watching Blockbuster Video try new shelving techniques.

I got a lot of corporate speak translation of making BOA better on a ground level. . . 

The building itself is great, but as it is, they made it a fortress because of it being BOA after 9-11.  I hope they can make it a more personal building with the courtyard and ground experience again while preserving their feeling of security. 

There is a very good restaurant in there that I feel a lot of people don't know about just because of their building features, and there is a courtyard that is walled off and unwelcome to street pedestrians. Opening it up and making it accessible to the steet, especially to the north along Livingston and towards the west to the transit and the CV will be a very big thing. This seems to me that the landlord and the tenants are realizing "oh wait, foot traffic and urban planning are a very real thing, and the growing CV will impact our business and change the way we interact with the surrounding neighborhood". 

Very big deal on a small scale, IMHO. 

Edited by dcluley98
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, klstorey said:

My friend grabbed some shots of downtown while flying into ORL. This one really shows how the I-4/408 interchange is coming along. f777b7fb380bb51ff2579fdd98c91f3a.jpg

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

In the words of one of  my two year old son favorite phrases. "Wwwooooowwwww"

It's looking like the FDOT video for sure. Coming along nicely.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, JFW657 said:

Bank of America Center, the Citrus Center and the One Orlando Centre. 

Bank of America Center - Location: 390 N. Orange Ave.

Renovations will focus on the lobby and courtyard. The renovations will open up the lobby into the courtyard and seating, lighting and covered areas in the outdoor space. On the second floor, the improvements include adding a new conference center, which the building currently doesn't have, for tenants to use. The conference center will be Wi-Fi equipped with a catering kitchen, a training room, two smaller conference rooms and a lounge. A fitness center in the building also is slated for renovation with new locker rooms and restrooms.

Citrus Center - Location: 255 S. Orange Ave.

All corridors and restrooms are expected to be renovated in the building. Additionally, renovations will continue in the lobby while Orlando-based New Moon Market, a juice bar, is expected to open in the lobby area.

One Orlando Centre - Location: 800 N. Magnolia Ave. 

Exterior renovations are planned for the building, along with furniture additions and a new conference center on the second floor. Updates are expected for the corridors and restrooms. Additionally, a rotating art gallery, in partnership with art organization Snap! Orlando, will be featured in the building.

Also, I had posted a link to an article earlier, about renovations planned for SunTrust Center after SunTrust moves into the new building.

So it's really four towers set to undergo renovations.

I appreciate you.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, AndyPok1 said:

Definitely one of the coolest pics I've seen.  Impressed they were able to get that from a plane.

There's a pic almost identical to it on (I think) the I-4 Ultimate page. Main difference being that ChuStrePla@ChuStreSta is only two or three stories out of the ground.

• Haha 1

On ‎8‎/‎2‎/‎2018 at 2:00 PM, I am Reality said:

Serious question . . . Why is architecture in Orlando so bland and uninspired? 

I have not seen an innovative design here since the old Pizzuti proposal.

The downtown has no identity at all, architecturally speaking. It's a total mismatch of buildings.  

We have perhaps the ugliest downtown building in the entire country. I want to implode the Fairwinds building every time I see it.  

The Bank of America building is almost as bad.  It's too wide at the base and too short to create any type of drama. It was supposed to be one of several other  similar-looking buildings at the old DuPont Center. That would have looked much better. Now it just stands alone and doesn't look right.

Do developers here even try to create anything distinctive?

I myself have joked about the plants proposed on the side of X Orlando. But at least it is distinctive. If other buildings did the same thing, the green building look could be Orlando's "thing", like some cities in Latin America. At least it would  be an identify and would be daring.

Other cities are trying all kinds of cool designs. The pic below is a $1 billion Frank Gehry-designed development going up in LA. It is super cool and daring. I am not comparing LA to Orlando. But I would love to see some more architectural ambition here.

IMG_0857.JPG

Count me as disgruntled for not getting the kind of architecture that ten-times-bigger global mega-city LA is getting.

• Like 1