Downtown Orlando Project Discussion

sunshine

22 minutes ago, opivys85 said:

Do y’all recommend any of these paid sources for general Orlando business and development news? OBJ, sentinel, growthspotter, etc?

Sadly, OBJ is a bit of a joke. They'll post just about anything to get clicks without bothering to analyze it.

I subscribe to the Sentinel but their owner, Tronc, has so decimated it that they miss a lot of what's going on.

I don't pay for GrowthSpotter so one of those who do will have to rate it for you.

Oddly enough, alternative paper Orlando Weekly gets some great scoops especially from Ken Storey on theme parks and Paul Brinkmann on business. 

Ken posts on here periodically as do Brendan from Bungalower and Mark from Daily City so you can learn a lot just by watching in here.

Sadly, OBJ is a bit of a joke. They'll post just about anything to get clicks without bothering to analyze it.
I subscribe to the Sentinel but their owner, Tronc, has so decimated it that they miss a lot of what's going on.
I don't pay for GrowthSpotter so one of those who do will have to rate it for you.
Oddly enough, alternative paper Orlando Weekly gets some great scoops especially from Ken Storey on theme parks and Paul Brinkmann on business. 
Ken posts on here periodically as do Brendan from Bungalower and Mark from Daily City so you can learn a lot just by watching in here.

How long has Brinkmann been over at the Weekly? That’s new for me, but glad to hear he hasn’t left the area.

12 minutes ago, orlandoguy said:

How long has Brinkmann been over at the Weekly? That’s new for me, but glad to hear he hasn’t left the area.

It was a surprise to me too - it was sometime in the last few months. I have no idea if he took a buyout or was laid off by Tronc or left the Sentinel for other reasons. 

I was hoping klstorey might know but haven't heard anything so far.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, klstorey said:

News to me. And news to Seth K. 

The OW page shows it was posted June 29, 2018 at 8:36 am.

Let's try this:

https://www.orlandoweekly.com/Blogs/archives/2018/06/29/new-signs-of-life-on-and-around-universal-orlandos-expansion-property?media=AMP+HTML

Edited by spenser1058
  • Like 1

59 minutes ago, Jernigan said:

Honestly if you want to hear it first this forum is the place 99% of the time.   If you want better context and quotes from the players as soon as they are available, Growthspotter does it right.  The OBJ is a mess for correct context.

Yeah, Growthspotter is much better than I thought it would be when OS first started a little while ago.  10/10 would recommend

• Like 1

I find that these forums are usually faster and better than both. Back when I read GS they only posted like 3 stories a day, sometimes they'd go a week or more before getting anything of interest to me. My family is all in residential construction and most of the stuff they post regarding that is either old or not really that important. They do best with new businesses and big projects, like downtown towers. I personally don't think their subscription cost is worth it for the amount of news that I found relevant to my interests. 

I mostly read these forums via the emails and I follow a ton of local sites via Feedly. Most of the local blogs (like Bungalower, Daily City, Scott Joseph, Roger Simmons, Nonawise, and Orlando Rising) get stuff first. If you follow a bunch of them it's almost like one good paper. I agree that the quality of the content at OBJ has declined. It used to be my go-to, now it has so much fluff. 

Not really Orlando construction/urban planning but one great site that's well worth the subscription cost is Florida Today. One of the few magazines I almost always read cover to cover. 

I've been impressed by the improving quality at WMFE. They're really focusing on local news and with written articles. Lots of great talent over there that usually get overlooked because it's not print. I'm glad to see them focus more on non-audio ways to share news content. 

News 13 has also been steadily improving lately, especially with their theme park coverage. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

On 8/21/2018 at 8:48 PM, Jernigan said:
Permit Number: MPL2018-10061
Project: Orange and Robinson Apartments
Address: 336 N ORANGE AVE ORLANDO FL
Description: Master Plan request for a 325-unit multi-family development with a 606 space parking garage.
Application Status: Open

Where do you guys find these?

• Thanks 1

On ‎8‎/‎22‎/‎2018 at 9:04 PM, Jernigan said:

Honestly if you want to hear it first this forum is the place 99% of the time.   If you want better context and quotes from the players as soon as they are available, Growthspotter does it right.  The OBJ is a mess for correct context.

...and for correct editing:  "Walls Fargo lays off 137..."  And this isn't the first time I've seen typos online.  It makes me want to launch a scud at them.

1 hour ago, NJBlake said:

Anyone know what is going on with the in progress 7 Eleven at crescent station? I have seen no discernible progress in like a month . Also, Philly Connection is closed permanently :-( 

Dunno about 7-Eleven; terrible thing about Philly Connection- they closed as did the pizza place at Skyhouse… I thought Courthouse traffic would be enough to sustain them both.

38 minutes ago, I am Reality said:

Might I make a suggestion?  

How about someone start a section about local history?

Just about every post contains either a full-length historical lesson,  or an off-topic historical reference, anymore. 

We know our history. No need to regurgitate it ad nauseum. 

Love this idea.

I just stopped by the Winter Park Library to early vote and ended up buying three old photograph books about Orlando. I'm sure I'll end up posting some of the pics on here. 

There are a couple of very active and insightful Orlando history groups on Facebook. Historic Orlando III is the best one I'm in. Someone on there posted old photos, including an inside one, from the old round building from the days before the extra floors were added. 

• Like 2