sunshine

Downtown Orlando Project Discussion

6 hours ago, RedStar25 said:

I hate malls. There. I said it. 

I've lived in Orlando for almost 5 years now and I have never been to any of them.

I do ride my bike past Fashion Square often, though. :tw_glasses:

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, dcluley98 said:

I've lived in Orlando for almost 5 years now and I have never been to any of them.

I do ride my bike past Fashion Square often, though. :tw_glasses:

I suppose I might have to use the Genius Bar at the Apple Store one day if my iPhone goes buggy. If I ever have to buy a new suit I'd probably go to Brooks Brothers. Other than that, I have a hard time thinking why I'd ever go to the mall again. 

7 hours ago, orlandouprise said:

*mind blown***

FL Mall seems like such a tourist trap to me. Millenia seems so much more high-end. I avoid FL Mall like the plague

1 hour ago, mdeancherry said:

This. Caveat, I don't shop at malls much at all. But if I had to go to one for some reason, I'd much rather hang out at Millenia. Also, that Capital Grille is good - they have a happy hour, unlike the one at Pointe. 

I kind of like Crate & Barrel but I hardly ever buy anything even there. Other that I can't even think of the last time I bought anything at a mall.  

I guess I occasionally go around Christmas in the hopes that inspiration will strike for that hard-to-buy-for person. 

I've been in Millennia twice. The last time I walked all the way through trying to find a store that wasn't a clothing boutique, a shoe store or a jewelry-accessory store. Out of the entire place, I think there was an Apple Store and the Crate & Barrel and that was about it. I haven't been in Florida Mall in well over a decade, but I can imagine that it's not a whole lot better.

I used to really enjoy visiting Florida Mall back in the 80's before they remodeled it.

Back in those days, it was designed to be reminiscent Main Street in Disney World. It was kind of like a village, where all the smaller storefronts were like little shops on side streets off the main avenue with shingled overhangs, etc. There was even a village square with balconies and stuff, prior to the Universal Studios store they built in the middle of it. And it was all more colorful.

The variety of stores was better, too. They used to have places like The Discovery Store, Black Market Minerals, Game Stop, Walden Books, Sam Goody Music, Radio Shack, Spencer's Gifts, a toy store, a sporting goods store.... etc, etc. Places I would actually be interested in and go into.

Now it's just another mall. Everything is painted white and probably dedicated mostly to women's clothing and shoes.

Everything sucks nowadays!!!! :angry:

I like taking tourists to Florida Mall vs other malls simply because of its size and unique stores (like M&M World). I think malls are great when they have destination retail that is experiential based. The worst thing that ever happened to Pointe Orlando was FAO Schwarz closing. I think Florida Mall would do great if it had some more retail of that type. I'd love to see the Bass Pro Shop move over there. I miss the surfing simulator at Florida Mall. Ironically, the type of retail currently at the mall would likely do better downtown and some of the stuff planned for downtown (like an adult-focused FEC) would do better at the mall. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, JFW657 said:

I've been in Millennia twice. The last time I walked all the way through trying to find a store that wasn't a clothing boutique, a shoe store or a jewelry-accessory store. Out of the entire place, I think there was an Apple Store and the Crate & Barrel and that was about it. I haven't been in Florida Mall in well over a decade, but I can imagine that it's not a whole lot better.

I used to really enjoy visiting Florida Mall back in the 80's before they remodeled it.

Back in those days, it was designed to be reminiscent Main Street in Disney World. It was kind of like a village, where all the smaller storefronts were like little shops on side streets off the main avenue with shingled overhangs, etc. There was even a village square with balconies and stuff, prior to the Universal Studios store they built in the middle of it. And it was all more colorful.

The variety of stores was better, too. They used to have places like The Discovery Store, Black Market Minerals, Game Stop, Walden Books, Sam Goody Music, Radio Shack, Spencer's Gifts, a toy store, a sporting goods store.... etc, etc. Places I would actually be interested in and go into.

Now it's just another mall. Everything is painted white and probably dedicated mostly to women's clothing and shoes.

Everything sucks nowadays!!!! :angry:

Admit it, JFW, you're just a slave to fashion! *teehee*

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, spenser1058 said:

Admit it, JFW, you're just a slave to fashion! *teehee*

More like a slave to unfashionable-ness. :thumbsup:

Seems like the more unfashionable something is, the more I like it. 

• Haha 1

Picturing JFW riding a Razor scooter around downtown with a  Sleeveless-Jorts Canadian Tuxedo combo, a Bowtie, Crocs-with-Socks, a Visor and a Fannypack. 

• Haha 3

11 hours ago, dcluley98 said:

Picturing JFW riding a Razor scooter around downtown with a  Sleeveless-Jorts Canadian Tuxedo combo, a Bowtie, Crocs-with-Socks, a Visor and a Fannypack. 

Don't forget the part where he screams at kids to get out of his way on the sidewalk.

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, codypet said:

The battered women's shelter is also coming down.  I would have a picture, but its just rubble.

I'm kinda sad to hear that, as I liked that building and the general area around it....

orlwomenshelter.png

by the time i realized hillcrest demo was taking place i got caught in the far left lane w nowhere to pull over and take a real pic or two.. this is what i got from my turn lane to colonial drive - a lot of nice trees there. lol

20180911_111021.jpg

• Like 1

Seen demo dumpsters along colonial for quite a few weeks now, but had not seen the buildings coming down.  You hafta look thro them trees to see it. 

The Canadians Are Coming! The Canadians Are Coming! (Don't tell The Donald...)

TDBank has replaced American Momentum as the anchor at Capital Plaza II, complete with a spiffy new sign up top.

On ‎9‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 9:01 AM, sunshine said:

Florida Mall parking is the pain.  I like Millenia because of the high end stores although I dont spend much there.

Disney Spring is nice but it is so far away and more like a suburb setting.

the best way to enjoy the mall and get parking is by going in the morning and/or anytime that is not close to a holiday 

I find Disney Springs to be a rather expensive version of the Premium Outlets. some tourists dont know better so thats how they get $$

I just realized that there aren't many empty lots left on the east side of I-4 once the currently scheduled projects are completed.

4 minutes ago, orange87 said:

I just realized that there aren't many empty lots left on the east side of I-4 once the currently scheduled projects are completed.

That's a good point and either it ramps up pressure to move further into Parramore or we'll finally start going vertical once the latest crop depreciates.

There are still lots between Eola and Summerlin that almost launched just before the crash (Bel Fontaine, for example, was just days away from selling when the bottom fell out.)

• Like 1

GS has a good update on Tim Greens redevelopment of the land west of Amway Center.   Demo of existing apartments and new mixed use mixed income projects keeping existing residents on site.

34E9E6B0-3305-40D9-B151-C70F7F9CAFC7.jpeg

• Like 2

4 hours ago, orange87 said:

4 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

That's a good point and either it ramps up pressure to move further into Parramore or we'll finally start going vertical once the latest crop depreciates.

There are still lots between Eola and Summerlin that almost launched just before the crash (Bel Fontaine, for example, was just days away from selling when the bottom fell out.)

Really? I did a quick check of Google maps (quicker than a drive up Garland Av) and it looks like there's an abundance of prime real estate just begging for high rise development. 

I see a surface lot between Pine and Central, the undeveloped northern portion of the parcel "The Refrigerator" occupies, another surface lot just north of that between Washington and Jefferson, and a huge parcel between Amelia and Concord that spans both sides of the RR tracks, the west part of which is currently being used as a staging area for the I-4 project.

Fill those parcels up with high rises and we're talking an unrecognizable downtown.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Pictures from Growthspotter.

We now know why the Orlando Magic were/are debating the timing and heights of project.

Many years ago, land was being bought up west of Amway Center, different parcels for a mixed used project. We now know what that is.
750x422

750x422

• Like 1

i think so.   I tried to find the article and couldn’t but in doing so found this pic of Snow...or is it Scott?

2F369019-E902-4687-822A-127D1BF78B03.png

• Like 1

I saw Bob Snow in the parking lot of a convenience store on 535 near LBV once back in the 80's or early 90's. He was getting into a yellow convertable Mercedes. He nodded, smiled and said hello as did I in return.

I also rode in an elevator with Michael Eisner once in that five story glass office building that sits right off Buena Vista Dr, and which used to have a Sun Bank on the ground floor and housed the offices of RCID permitting dept on the upper floors. I had my arms full of papers and documents, and he politely held the elevator door open for me.

Just in case anyone is interested, I mean..... :dontknow: