Downtown Orlando Project Discussion

sunshine

OBJ ran an article about downtown retails..

https://www.bizjournals.com/orlando/news/2018/10/18/downtown-orlandos-retail-shopping-list-9-things.html

High-end bars and restaurants, another grocery store and more entertainment options topped the list of downtown wants, according to Orlando Business Journal readers who voted in a non-scientific Business Pulse poll.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I agree, cant wait to see all those dingy bars replaced by high end bars and restaurants.  Sort of like what Disney Springs did to replace the bars, except the old bars at Pleasure Island were way better than downtown Orlando. I would also suggest a few more starbucks downtown.

Recently visited Charlotte's Epic center and that place is a joke. Lets hope the Magic can do a way better job.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, sunshine said:

OBJ ran an article about downtown retails..

https://www.bizjournals.com/orlando/news/2018/10/18/downtown-orlandos-retail-shopping-list-9-things.html

High-end bars and restaurants, another grocery store and more entertainment options topped the list of downtown wants, according to Orlando Business Journal readers who voted in a non-scientific Business Pulse poll.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I agree, cant wait to see all those dingy bars replaced by high end bars and restaurants.  Sort of like what Disney Springs did to replace the bars, except the old bars at Pleasure Island were way better than downtown Orlando. I would also suggest a few more starbucks downtown.

Recently visited Charlotte's Epic center and that place is a joke. Lets hope the Magic can do a way better job.

EpiCenter is for hooligans. But rumors are hot and heavy that an influx of high-end retail is coming.

• Like 1

New Sentinel article today about downtown development.

“What we are seeing is really the culmination of the 10-year recovery with rising occupancy levels and rising rents creating opportunities for developers,” said Jeffrey Sweeney, senior director at Cushman & Wakefield. “Orlando is growing up.”

https://www.orlandosentinel.com/business/os-bz-skyscrapers-guide-orlando-20181022-story.html

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, dcluley98 said:

Yeah, those trees were not really "notable" per se, unlike the giant oak tree on the Zoi house lot. However, fewer trees is usually a bad thing, IMO. That corner looks WAY different now. 

It's just that stretch from Highland to Hughey was sort of barren already and this won't help much. Oh well, maybe the replacement for the Sentinel parking lot will do better.

• Like 1

Yeah, those trees weren't exactly majestic....

colonial-magnolia.jpg

....but you hate to lose any.

I do kinda wish the building could've stayed though....

orlwomenshelter.png

It had a certain old Orlando charm to it.

Guess they mowed down the trees along Hillcrest too, though. <sigh>

Edited by JFW657

9 hours ago, Don't Talk To ME said:

They're digging the whole site out, down to street level. So everything's got to go. 

You could be right. We were debating earlier on wether they were going to cut down to street level. According to the renderings they are. That is a lot of fill to remove. Would make sense why they are removing everything on the west side, as that retaining wall and hill would be gone. The trees on Hillcrest don't make much sense to remove, however.