Downtown Orlando Project Discussion

sunshine

Good deal.   We don’t have many national chains downtown at all.   I think these are important for both validation and some familiar anchors for visitors.  Hopefully you’ll end up at a local restaurant but it’s the Ale House or Buffalo Wild Wings that allows your group to head downtown without the fear of not finding food.

National food/retail that I can name offhand...and almost on one hand:

Walgreens

Subway

7-11

Starbucks 

Dunkin Donuts

Wahlburgers

Fuzzys Taco Shop

With UCF/Valencia coming on line in the next year or so, another pressing need is a hardware store that caters to college kids much like Miller’s does for the folks at Rollins.

Sure, you can buy hammers and screws there but they also sell small appliances and stuff you’d need if you were living in a dorm or tiny apartment. Interestingly, UCF/Valencia is talking more students (5000 vs 1800 undergrads at Rollins.)

Perhaps an amazon pickup location can ameliorate some of that but an actual retailer would still be useful for assistance with framing, painting and the like.

20 minutes ago, AndyPok1 said:

Can't get rid of them all.

Yes, you can. One of the observations I've made about other cities is they don't have the number of dance clubs that cater to the underage crowd and I wish we didn't. It is valuable to that particular business owner and the garage operators, but a serious detriment to every other business and person downtown. I know a ton of mid 20's service staff that live downtown or adjacent that wouldn't be caught dead in those places. They mostly attract clientele from outside of the downtown and bungalow neighborhoods.

9 minutes ago, AmIReal said:

Yes, you can. One of the observations I've made about other cities is they don't have the number of dance clubs that cater to the underage crowd and I wish we didn't. It is valuable to that particular business owner and the garage operators, but a serious detriment to every other business and person downtown. I know a ton of mid 20's service staff that live downtown or adjacent that wouldn't be caught dead in those places. They mostly attract clientele from outside of the downtown and bungalow neighborhoods.

Glenda, is that you?

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, AmIReal said:

I agree with all of this... but then where do you want dance clubs?  Even if I don't go to them, I feel as if they are an important part of a vibrant nightlife.

32 minutes ago, spenser1058 said:

Poppy Bush was all about the raves!?! Sorry, couldn’t resist. I’ll miss 41. - great socks, a sane foreign policy and he coined the term “Voodoo Economics.”Not to mention he was a true gentleman.

Isn't he also responsible for, if not coining, then popularizing the term "politically correct"? 

1 hour ago, spenser1058 said:

According to wiki, the term seemed to pick up speed about the time Poppy Bush was running for POTUS so it may have come to him on one of his thousand points of light. It did not apparently start with him, though.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Political_correctness

The reason I asked, is because the first time many people heard it and it seems, right around the same time it's use started becoming more widespread, was during a speech Bush made in 1991.

From your wiki link:

In May 1991, at a commencement ceremony for a graduating class of the University of Michigan, then U.S. President George H.W. Bush used the term in his speech: "The notion of political correctness has ignited controversy across the land. And although the movement arises from the laudable desire to sweep away the debris of racism and sexism and hatred, it replaces old prejudice with new ones. It declares certain topics off-limits, certain expression off-limits, even certain gestures off-limits."

After 1991, its use as a pejorative phrase became widespread amongst conservatives in the US. It became a key term encapsulating conservative concerns about the left in culture and political debate more broadly, as well as in academia. 

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

Poppy Bush was all about the raves!?! Sorry, couldn’t resist. I’ll miss 41. - great socks, a sane foreign policy and he coined the term “Voodoo Economics.”Not to mention he was a true gentleman.

"Thousand points of light"

I think most of my fond and/or funny memories of him are actually Dana Carvey doing an impression of him.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, opivys85 said:

Huh? Sweeping generalization there.

If when Obama dies, if the best the right could bring itself to do was to remember the way he was lampooned ... the left would lose its sh*t.

Now, if instead of ‘lose its sh*t’ I said, “Don black masks and stage violent demonstrations’, that would be a sweeping generalization.

41 minutes ago, Dale said:

If when Obama dies, if the best the right could bring itself to do was to remember the way he was lampooned ... the left would lose its sh*t.

Now, if instead of ‘lose its sh*t’ I said, “Don black masks and stage violent demonstrations’, that would be a sweeping generalization.

Not sure what you’re talking about. I’ve seen respect and reverence from CNN and NYT, to name a few. Obama himself spoke respectfully about HW and Michelle Obama halted her book tour to go to the funeral.  Not everyone is forgetting about the controversies that exist with his legacy, just like when McCain passed. Yes there are people that are crass and inhumane in times like this, but I would say it is nowhere near the norm.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1