Downtown Orlando Project Discussion

sunshine

16 hours ago, JFW657 said:

That looks pretty good, I guess. 

Not awesome or amazing, but OK.

One heckuva lot better than that dirty, smudged, scuffed up solid white wall on Modera, facing Rosalind and Central.

Maybe they'll eventually do something similar over there.

I passed it the other day and meant to post a pic but forgot. It looks nice. Can't wait for stuff to actually go in there. 

1 hour ago, bqknight said:

I passed it the other day and meant to post a pic but forgot. It looks nice. Can't wait for stuff to actually go in there. 

I'm not really wild about the finish material they used on the new facade. Would like to have seen something that looked more like stone or marble, etc. 

I'm hoping that maybe there will be some lighted signage along the top strip that might add some pizzazz to it. 

On 4/5/2019 at 6:23 PM, KJHburg said:

Publix may open 2nd smaller store in downtown Orlando according to this subscriber article in the Business Journal.

""The Lakeland-based grocer reportedly toured the roughly 15,000-square-foot Ferg's Depot on Church Street at 78 W. Church St., sources said. Publix and the Ferg's Depot owner Orlando Crazy Train LLC, an entity tied to Orlando-based Nunziata Holdings LLC, couldn't be reached for comment. The space formerly housed Ferg’s Depot bar and restaurant, which closed in August 2018.  Interest from the major supermarket chain — which operates a location about 1 mile way at 400 E Central Blvd. — shows that downtown's recent wave of residential growth may attract more retail to Orlando's urban core. City officials expect an almost 10 percent downtown population jump in the next half decade, according to a city of Orlando spokeswoman.""

https://www.bizjournals.com/orlando/news/2019/04/05/publix-reportedly-seeking-another-downtown-orlando.html

Scott J opines that if Publix opens at Church Street Station, a Lucky’s Market will open in the Church St. Market where California Tortilla was and perform equally as poorly.

https://www.scottjosephorlando.com/news/4723-bullet-point-buffet-the-existential-edition

And the latest OBJ fantasy rolls on...

Edited by spenser1058

Publix should open in CV with a smaller format college oriented store!

Not that the Edgewater store is that far, but CV makes the most sense with critical mass and bridging locations at South Eola, College Park, and Colonial, and capitalizing on the new influx of residents with CV students/workers, North Quarter, and proposed U/C new buildings on Livingston. 

I will be shocked if there is not some sort of grocer with a small footprint/urban format going into CV at this point. 

Also, OBJ does not know what the hell they are talking about. As per usual. 

• Like 4

I think a Trader Joe’s would make a killing at Church Street station, seems like the perfect amount of space for them since their stores are relatively small. If not at church street, a Trader Joe’s somewhere downtown would be great

Edited by Naqiy90
  • Like 2

Just for prahaboheme!

https://www.orlandosentinel.com/opinion/david-whitley/os-op-ask-orlando-library-brutalism-david-whitley-2019041-story,amp.html

From the Sentinel 

I really liked Johansen’s original building. I particularly liked the way boards were imprinted in the wet concrete to give it an organic feel. The rock gardens and the second-floor entry (which would not fly in the ADA era) all made for a striking structure that fit in perfectly with what surrounded it (particularly the minimalist UC and the exterior of the Christian Science church (now St. George’s.)

The expansion, however (and the initial interior which was truly dank - that’s been fixed) simply blew away all sense of proportion to what was around it (much like the blank wall of the AT&T addition, although thankfully OPL has windows and a variety of levels and outcroppings to make it more interesting).

Over the years, they’ve done much with trees, signage and the rainbow light panels on the west side to humanize it, but it was simply too much for the block.

Edited by spenser1058
  • Like 3

On ‎4‎/‎14‎/‎2019 at 6:48 AM, Naqiy90 said:

I think a Trader Joe’s would make a killing at Church Street station, seems like the perfect amount of space for them since their stores are relatively small. If not at church street, a Trader Joe’s somewhere downtown would be great

I would agree with this.  TJ would be excellent in a small spot downtown.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, sunshine said:

But I am a Whole Food kind of guy... actually I prefer Fresh Market.

Whole Foods and Fresh Market, the two most expensive grocery stores around.  I enjoy Fresh Market, to an extent, but it's also psycho-level expensive.

I'm not even referring to fresh things or store-specific things.  Name brand items.  You can buy the same bottle of juice for half the price at Publix.  I'd imagine Target or Walmart would be even less.  I went in there one day and started to pick up a bag of chips, but saw they were over $7.  Really? 

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, HankStrong said:

Whole Foods and Fresh Market, the two most expensive grocery stores around.  I enjoy Fresh Market, to an extent, but it's also psycho-level expensive.

I'm not even referring to fresh things or store-specific things.  Name brand items.  You can buy the same bottle of juice for half the price at Publix.  I'd imagine Target or Walmart would be even less.  I went in there one day and started to pick up a bag of chips, but saw they were over $7.  Really? 

I thought Trader Joe's was overpriced for the so-so quality of the food they sell, but $7 bucks for a bag of chips is... well, with prices like that, they should call it Foolish Market.

Edited by JFW657

3 hours ago, HankStrong said:

That's the business model though - get the rich folks in for the specialty goods, and then markup the staples 2-4x for insane profit margins and hope no one notices...

Trains are already full/standing room only for many commute legs.  Can’t wait to see groceries join the party.

I don’t believe anyone is going to do their Publix run before they get on the train except for one-offs like needing milk or bread but if there’s a Trader Joe’s I think you’ll see it a lot.   If there’s anything that gives suburbanites more anxiety than navigating commuter rail, it’s parking at Trader Joe’s.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/15/2019 at 11:37 AM, spenser1058 said:

Just for prahaboheme!

https://www.orlandosentinel.com/opinion/david-whitley/os-op-ask-orlando-library-brutalism-david-whitley-2019041-story,amp.html

From the Sentinel 

I really liked Johansen’s original building. I particularly liked the way boards were imprinted in the wet concrete to give it an organic feel. The rock gardens and the second-floor entry (which would not fly in the ADA era) all made for a striking structure that fit in perfectly with what surrounded it (particularly the minimalist UC and the exterior of the Christian Science church (now St. George’s.)

The expansion, however (and the initial interior which was truly dank - that’s been fixed) simply blew away all sense of proportion to what was around it (much like the blank wall of the AT&T addition, although thankfully OPL has windows and a variety of levels and outcroppings to make it more interesting).

Over the years, they’ve done much with trees, signage and the rainbow light panels on the west side to humanize it, but it was simply too much for the block.

I have a soft spot for brutalism.  Just love it.  I think the library being one of the only examples of it around is an awesome counter to the rest of our buildings.

On 4/17/2019 at 2:24 PM, spenser1058 said:

Food trucks coming to ride share hubs downtown and Sperry Fountain at Eola:

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/orange-county/os-orlando-food-trucks-20190417-story.html

From the Sentinel 

Also, this is awesome, but dumb... because it was only like 2 years ago they banned food trucks from being downtown.  I miss those late night ribs so much

• Like 3

On 4/15/2019 at 11:37 AM, spenser1058 said:

I particularly liked the way boards were imprinted in the wet concrete to give it an organic feel.

FYI - that isn't a result of some special process or effort to create that look, it's just a natural result of using wood planks for the formwork.

The reason you don't see that effect very often on newer construction is because natural grain wood just isn't used much anymore to make formwork. It's much more likely to be  plywood, aluminum, steel, fiberglass, foam, etc.

Edited by Camillo Sitte
  • Thanks 1