Downtown Orlando Project Discussion

sunshine

Yeah, Winter Park Up Development property. My mistake. 

BTW, they have been doing demolition there for some time (Lee & 17/92).  They left I believe just one building (the one that used to be Grumman).  I can't recall if they are keeping it or tearing it down as well.

Speaking of Fashion Square, they have begun some demolition of the mall wall between Macy's and Panera where the hotel is going I think.

Edited by jrs2

BTW, they have been doing demolition there for some time (Lee & 17/92). They left I believe just one building (the one that used to be Grumman). I can't recall if they are keeping it or tearing it down as well.

Speaking of Fashion Square, they have begun some demolition of the mall wall between Macy's and Panera where the hotel is going I think.

True. I am standing in front of it as I post this. I was sitting in Panrera reading the forums. There are workers here and 3 squares punched in the wall.

I like townhouse projects as much as the next person, and this type of development is definitely a missing link downtown (so I applaud it) but architecturally, this is the lowest common denominator.  Can we really not expect more out of S. Eola / Thornton Park at this point?  

I have always wanted more townhomes in South Eola/Thornton Park as well, but wow you are right...these are incredibly boring.

I agree but the staff comments on the building are pretty good so hopefully the elevations will look better after they are revised.  The City has asked for brick or stone for the first floor so I think that would be a good start.  I'm most worried about the sides of the Summerlin end units.  They need to make sure that the sides of those units match the front elevations or it will look pretty bad while driving down Summerlin.  Too bad the Mariposa sidewalk will only be five feet wide also.  The Jackson and Summerlin sidewalks will be 7' wide.

I chuckled at the palette - I could hardly tell the colors apart. However, it's a huge improvement for that area which stagnated quite a bit over the years. I wonder how much these will sell for? The design is somewhat similar to the adjacent townhomes and despite not having a wow factor, a few of those units sold for ~240k. The units facing Summerlin should have a decent view of Lake Olive too.

Other than the site plan, what you are seeing is just the necessary designs to submit to the city to get the project started.  The final product will be MUCH more appareling.  

Though similar in concept to the Osceola Brownstones just a few blocks west, these will be larger with far more usable interior space and MUCH higher finishes similar to the VUE or Sanctuary.  

• Like 1

According the plans submitted, it is a residential development.

I like the massing, and scale.  It is entirely appropriate for this location and a huge improvement on the dumpy 60s era homes that are currently on these lots.  I'm hopeful (given steve_o's remarks that this is not in any shape/form final design) that we will get a great development for the neighborhood that will hopefully spur further townhome infill projects.

If all these infill projects continue to happen, one hope is that each block will have some activation at street level. For instance You can't walk too many blocks in the Bronx or Brooklyn (highly residential with townhomes, row houses, and apts) without a bodega, a bagel shop, a bakery or florist, a diner, a neighborhood bar... on a corner  at the end of the long row of houses.  Something more than a 7-11 type convenience store reinforces that life is lived in your home AND in your neighborhood, and catalyzes the kind of collisions that promote long-term residents.