Downtown Orlando Project Discussion

sunshine

• 2 weeks later...

Lots of dirt moving now at the O+C Hotel site.  I still think the most important development(s) in the uptown area are The Sevens (any word if/when they will begin construction?) and the proposed pedestrian bridge over Colonial connecting the urban trail.  At that point you've got complete infill and a critical mass of pedestrians and storefronts on that part of Orange

Lots of dirt moving now at the O+C Hotel site.  I still think the most important development(s) in the uptown area are The Sevens (any word if/when they will begin construction?) and the proposed pedestrian bridge over Colonial connecting the urban trail.  At that point you've got complete infill and a critical mass of pedestrians and storefronts on that part of Orange

According to the http://bungalower.com , construction is set to begin on the Sevens this spring/ early summer.  Here is the link to the article...  http://bungalower.com/2013/12/sevens-building-break-ground-spring/

OBJ had a story about it beginning this past week. Also said that Ustlers office building a few blocks north was delayed and should start this year

Anyone else frustrated by the new cityoforlando website? Or am I just missing the city planning board reports?

OBJ had a story about it beginning this past week. Also said that Ustlers office building a few blocks north was delayed and should start this year

Anyone else frustrated by the new cityoforlando website? Or am I just missing the city planning board reports?

I'm really excited about the Residence Inn project; haven't checked the City website tho.

That hotel will compliment the Steelhouse as they collectively attempt to "frame" Colonial Drive at Orange Avenue.  This will be the first time ever that Colonial has had this size of development along it's edges in downtown.  This is big.

So, aside from DPAC, here's what's officially U/C downtown:

1.  Crescent Central Station

2.  NORA

3.  Residence Inn

4.  Church Street Sunrail Station (Lynx is already open)

Extended:

1.  Fla Hosp. South HQ Bldg- 9 stories; almost done

2.  Fla Hosp Women's Hospital; 12+ stories; sitework

3.  The Ivy (Fla Hosp)- 5 story residential

4.  King St & McRae Ave building; looks to be 5 stories of more (at least the parking deck is)

5.  Sunrail Station- just opened

6.  ORHS 12 story bed tower

7.  Sunrail station- Amtrak

8.  Citrus Bowl renovation

• Like 1

Is the King St & McRae Ave building just a parking garage...the original DRI shows it as a garage and I think when they took part of the street I saw it was just a parking garage.

Also I try to categorize all of the major projects in the "Buildings" category --> http://bungalower.com/category/topics/buildings/

Is the King St & McRae Ave building just a parking garage...the original DRI shows it as a garage and I think when they took part of the street I saw it was just a parking garage.

Also I try to categorize all of the major projects in the "Buildings" category --> http://bungalower.com/category/topics/buildings/

I drove by it again last night and I think it is only a parking deck- looks to be 7-8 levels.  I wonder if it will have a skywalk across King to the older garage.

EATERIES:

FYI:  Not a new project, but I was reviewing some materials just to confirm that- there are still over a hundred eateries in and around downtown- includes the CBD, Thornton Park, Uptown, etc.  IMO, that's pretty good.  There have been so many closings lately and new ones opening up in their place; I just needed to know.

Edited by jrs2

EATERIES:

FYI:  Not a new project, but I was reviewing some materials just to confirm that- there are still over a hundred eateries in and around downtown- includes the CBD, Thornton Park, Uptown, etc.  IMO, that's pretty good.  There have been so many closings lately and new ones opening up in their place; I just needed to know.

Yeah...Way more openings than closings lately in the area I cover. Almost every closing has had another restaurant in it's spot but there have been a couple of new restaurants. Plus personally we've been getting upgrades...e.g. The Strand and Artisan's Table.

I'm encouraged about how Ace Cafe stated they were looking for older, more industrial/urban buildings to move into - it sounds like a great repurposing project.  Also, apparently it's a draw for tourists - and they chose downtown!  Whatever happened to the big St Pete based restaurant that was going to open at Church St Station with the ugly fake rail cars?

• Like 1

Very interesting concept.  Correct me if I'm wrong but this location is adjacent to Lynx Terminal and the future SunRail station.  Why the need for all this parking?

Nevertheless, this is currently an abandoned lot with decrepit industrial buildings that are being repurposed, so I'll stifle my complaint for the semi-suburban layout.

Edited by prahaboheme

That is great, so that is the Harry P Leu building isn't it? Glad to see they came up with a good project in order to keep those historic buildings. 

Also, anybody else notice the storage containers part of the added buildings to the south in the video rendering?

Edited by truebluecfl

Yeah...Way more openings than closings lately in the area I cover. Almost every closing has had another restaurant in it's spot but there have been a couple of new restaurants. Plus personally we've been getting upgrades...e.g. The Strand and Artisan's Table.

It really is a testament, ya know.  So much press has been focused of Church Street's demise over the years, but there are still so many eateries just there, let alone the rest of downtown.

I'm really glad they're keeping the old buildings.  Seems like a fun addition to Downtown, and it does say a lot that they're creating a destination spot Downtown vs. I-Drive.  That being said, I hope it's not too far off the beaten path for bar-hoppers.  Also, I wonder how the Daytona-Beach-vibe will fare with techy Creative Village and posh Central Station surrounding it...

post-25309-0-78683800-1397159045_thumb.j

post-25309-0-05127500-1397159048_thumb.j

The poster of the video also said this: 

Hey guys, the Ace Cafe USA will have chips, a proper cuppa and pints. And we purposely aren't anywhere close to Disney or Universal.  We are smack dab in the middle of downtown Orlando.  Thanks for the notes and see you soon.

I love that attitude. Go downtown!

• Like 1

Very interesting concept.  Correct me if I'm wrong but this location is adjacent to Lynx Terminal and the future SunRail station.  Why the need for all this parking?

Nevertheless, this is currently an abandoned lot with decrepit industrial buildings that are being repurposed, so I'll stifle my complaint for the semi-suburban layout.

I believe the entire Ace Cafe concept revolves around automotive/motorcycle culture, so in this instance I'm perfectly fine with the parking.  The other sites host car and cycle shows, have certain rides on display, etc...I think the lot plays into the business model

• Like 2

OBJ Today: 

UCF’s big idea: Bring a new campus to downtown, with up to 15,000 students

Most of the article is behind the pay wall (I subscribe). The number itself comes from the mouth of UCF President John Hitt. 

This quote (from Fred Kittinger, UCF guy, DTO committee chairman): 

“One thing we learned from the Arizona example is if the university is going to move programs downtown, you don’t do it dribs and drabs,” Kittinger said. “You do with a very large footprint.”

Is promising. Exciting thought.
Edited by castorvx