Downtown Orlando Project Discussion

sunshine

I'm not sure if this is the right location, but it's a list of all high rise construction in the US between 2000-2013. Orlando ranks 11th nationally and has a virtually identical profile to Tampa. I'm sure that you'll find it enjoyable reading.

http://www.urbanophile.com/2013/08/20/trends-in-american-high-rise-construction-by-david-holmes/

Talked to the developer today for a post on Bungalower. He says it will be open Fall 2014. Pricing seams to be reasonable. 

Agree....I think my next move will be in a rowhouse style building like this or the brownstone townhomes.

It appears that the City bought all of the land for this project in January.  Anyone know what the story is with this?

I'm not sure if this is the right location, but it's a list of all high rise construction in the US between 2000-2013. Orlando ranks 11th nationally and has a virtually identical profile to Tampa. I'm sure that you'll find it enjoyable reading.

http://www.urbanophile.com/2013/08/20/trends-in-american-high-rise-construction-by-david-holmes/

ranked tied for 18th with 11 high rises.

I'd like to see a different stat regarding overall construction including high rises, low rise urban, stadium, airport, convention, theme park entertainment, industrial low rise office, low rise hotel, retail, highway, mass transit, education, etc.  I think in that overall category, Orlando would rank much much higher.

• Like 1

Not sure if someone's mentioned this, but I keep driving by the sign: South Mills Row at the corner of South Street and Mills.  

• 5-unit rowhouse 
  • 1,800 SF units
  • 2 bedrooms - 2.5 baths

180e531eb94dd03aa0f85410cced22b9_17f2.jp

If anyone is interested, The City has bought the property shown above and will be building a sanitary lift station.  We were close to getting a nice infill project which could have helped tie the Greenwood-Lake Davis area to Thornton Park.  Instead, we will get a lift station.

If anyone is interested, The City has bought the property shown above and will be building a sanitary lift station.  We were close to getting a nice infill project which could have helped tie the Greenwood-Lake Davis area to Thornton Park.  Instead, we will get a lift station.

Enjoy the Go!?!

What a shame. I've always felt like Lake Davis/Greenwood and Lake Cherokee were in some kind of weird "no man's land"; too far South to be considered Thornton Park and too far North to be considered Delaney Park (albeit some property owners align themselves with either one). The Mills & South St/Anderson needs major streetscaping and to be honest it was a deterrent from buying a property in that area vs Summerlin Ave which is much nicer.

Are you sure the city bought that specific lot? I remember there were several lots that were for sale near that intersection that had fallen into short sale/foreclosure. I looked up the info... the owner actually sold all 4 parcels to the city in January. Good for him, bad for us. Here's a link to the city's project description: http://www1.cityoforlando.net/pwd/cip/Report.aspx

Edited by nite owℓ

I haven't seen this reported anywhere yet...

SR 528 To Add "Lexus Lanes" with higher toll rate

This project will widen a 4-mile segment of the Beachline Expressway (SR 528) in Orange County. This planned 
widening of SR 528 between I-4 and the Turnpike/SR 91 will add a variable priced express lane in each direction, 
raising the total number of lanes from four to six. This will allow drivers to choose between the express lane or the 
general toll lanes. This project will accommodate for future traffic growth along the Beachline Expressway corridor.

Construction will start in 2017. 

Should make for one heck of a mess with some other key projects going on in the next 5 years:
  1. I-4 will be under HEAVY construction from Kirkman to Lake Mary.
  2. SR 528 will have construction from I-4 to Turnpike & the destruction of airport toll plaza work. 
  3. SR 408 will have HEAVY rework from OBT to I-4 as part of the Ultimate I-4 work
  4. SR 417 / Turnpike interchange will be under construction
  5. 17/92 436 Interchange may be in work
  6. SR 429 Beltway will be in work
  7. Sand Lake Road will have MagLev work along its corridor and widening from 4-6 lanes between John Young Parkway and I-4. 

Got SunRail?

Edited by Sir William H Wright
  • Like 1

I haven't seen this reported anywhere yet...

SR 528 To Add "Lexus Lanes" with higher toll rate

This project will widen a 4-mile segment of the Beachline Expressway (SR 528) in Orange County. This planned 
widening of SR 528 between I-4 and the Turnpike/SR 91 will add a variable priced express lane in each direction, 
raising the total number of lanes from four to six. This will allow drivers to choose between the express lane or the 
general toll lanes. This project will accommodate for future traffic growth along the Beachline Expressway corridor.

Construction will start in 2017. 

Should make for one heck of a mess with some other key projects going on in the next 5 years:
  1. I-4 will be under HEAVY construction from Kirkman to Lake Mary.
  2. SR 528 will have construction from I-4 to Turnpike & the destruction of airport toll plaza work. 
  3. SR 408 will have HEAVY rework from OBT to I-4 as part of the Ultimate I-4 work
  4. SR 417 / Turnpike interchange will be under construction
  5. 17/92 436 Interchange may be in work
  6. SR 429 Beltway will be in work
  7. Sand Lake Road will have MagLev work along its corridor and widening from 4-6 lanes between John Young Parkway and I-4. 

Got SunRail?

Exactly why I tell people who hate Sunrail that they'll be glad its there when I-4 is dug up.  SR 429 is already under construction and I don't know if anyone noticed but SR 417 is being widened from SR 408 to Curry Ford right now.  If you're between Debary and ORMC, Sunrail is a VERY real alternative for you.

What a shame. I've always felt like Lake Davis/Greenwood and Lake Cherokee were in some kind of weird "no man's land"; too far South to be considered Thornton Park and too far North to be considered Delaney Park (albeit some property owners align themselves with either one). The Mills & South St/Anderson needs major streetscaping and to be honest it was a deterrent from buying a property in that area vs Summerlin Ave which is much nicer.

Are you sure the city bought that specific lot? I remember there were several lots that were for sale near that intersection that had fallen into short sale/foreclosure. I looked up the info... the owner actually sold all 4 parcels to the city in January. Good for him, bad for us. Here's a link to the city's project description: http://www1.cityoforlando.net/pwd/cip/Report.aspx

Yeah, I really think it's a terrible idea.  The existing lift station sits on a acre of property.  They should be able to fit it there.  This parcel had a real potential infill project which would have spurred other similar development nearby.  The property is not zoned for the lift station so they will have to (I presume) go through a public hearing process to rezone it.  I plan to do whatever I can do to stop it.  Any suggestions are welcome.

http://www1.cityoforlando.net/pwd/cip/Report.aspx

Not that seeing some attractive infill on this corner wouldn't be nice, but am I the only one who thinks this piece of property can't do a whole lot better than a lift station? It's one corner of a busy intersection AND it backs up to the East-West. There probably isn't a very large group of buyers interested in purchasing a brand new home or row house for several hundred thousand dollars when the 408 traffic is in your backyard.

Maybe commercial or office could work here ... ?

From what I've read, it's usually property owners in the immediate area that issue comments for consideration and from what I've seen, there are quite a few neglected properties next to the lot. So they may not give a damn. Maybe you could start a petition? But we all know that whatever Lola wants, Lola gets! For some reason, I always thought the row homes were planned for the vacant lot catty-corner on the Thornton Park side....

As Orlandoguy said, the lot really isn't suitable for townhomes. But maybe the change in zoning will eventually allow the adjoining properties to go commercial? I would be okay with a lift station BUT ONLY IF the city:

-keeps all industrial machinery hidden from view

-installs streetscaping pleasing to the eye

-disguises the lift station using decorative/stamped concrete walls & fencing like OUC does with their chilled water plants

Honestly I think something like this would be a decent compromise:

post-26482-0-55776100-1398656272_thumb.jpost-26482-0-28689600-1398656308_thumb.j

Edited by nite owℓ

From what I know, the project was not actually a project. The "owner" has the plan drawn so that he/she can sell the land along with the plan for someone to build it. Although the project is nice looking but it is at a terrible location. We have a house on south street which is across from this project, the noise level from 408 is terrible which makes the yard unuseable unless u dont care about the traffic noise. I think this loccation is more suitable for midrise office or commercial.

On the other hand, I guess thhis is what we want to solve the retails problem....

someone please tell DTO

2aefd8e0-cbf3-11e3-a77a-3dd86f1da60e_6-c

From what I know, the project was not actually a project. The "owner" has the plan drawn so that he/she can sell the land along with the plan for someone to build it. Although the project is nice looking but it is at a terrible location. We have a house on south street which is across from this project, the noise level from 408 is terrible which makes the yard unuseable unless u dont care about the traffic noise. I think this loccation is more suitable for midrise office or commercial.

This is correct /\/\

Edited by steve_o