Downtown Orlando Project Discussion

sunshine

The city hall road closure had enough preliminary warning for everyone and also informed through mailers, etc. The earlier road closures are implemented by OPD after the Tier stabbing. They met with all owners of downtown clubs and bars and the main problem was the inconsistency of the road closures on Fri Sat nights. Sometimes as late as 12, but as of last weekend and the weekend before last, they went up right at 945/10.

But let me ask you this. Orange is closed from 10 on with people everywhere in the street... does it make sense to drive 6 OPD Impala's at 60mph+ northbound up Orange at 1:25am when responding to that other call? They could of hit one of their own Horses, let alone kill someone in the street.

New 205 Hyatt Place hotel next to Church Street Ballroom.  Looks to be around 14-15 stories from the rendering.  Nice.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/business/blog/brinkmann-on-business/os-new-hyatt-place-hotel-proposed-for-downtown-20140725,0,7258124.post

That's great news! Hope it materializes. It would be a giant boost for the restaurants on Church Street...a real steady stream of customers.

Edited by FLClarkKent

While I'm a little upset because that grassy area is where we take our dog in the morning to use the restroom, I'm very excited to see a surface lot converted to something more useful. It will be interesting to see how well this hotel performs being right next to the railroad tracks. I would imagine being that close will deter quite a few people (or at least deter them from future stays after they've stayed). The freight train that comes by at night is pretty loud. I wonder if they are taking this into consideration and installing double paned windows or something similar.

While I'm a little upset because that grassy area is where we take our dog in the morning to use the restroom, I'm very excited to see a surface lot converted to something more useful. It will be interesting to see how well this hotel performs being right next to the railroad tracks. I would imagine being that close will deter quite a few people (or at least deter them from future stays after they've stayed). The freight train that comes by at night is pretty loud. I wonder if they are taking this into consideration and installing double paned windows or something similar.

I would hope so as well.  If you've stayed at the Crowne Plaza, Sheraton (now under renovation) or the Doubletree, you'll know train noise is a huge problem at the three properties - needless to say all were built much more recently than the railway, so they had the opportunity to abate the sound.

"How often does the train come by?" "So often you stop noticing".

Great room count to use the CS Ballrooms, hope they connect. Then there would also be a connection to the Cheyenne Saloon. If that could be the hotel bar, re-themed of course. This ain't Wyoming. Add in citrus themes, can keep the cowboy stuff and do it historic Florida, that would fill that hole in CSS. Do it right with TV production incentives from the State and bring back a bit of the "hay" day of "Live from Orlando" music acts broadcasts.

Exciting prospect.

If I recall, this was the lot originally pitched as a hotel with a brick facade? A Hilton thing? Was several years ago.

When you enter the CBD from I-4 eastbound, this is the first corner you encounter. Basically anything would be an improvement over the current situation, so this would be very welcome indeed.

^Someone's been listening to us "negative Nancy's" after all.  :thumbsup:

A few points:

• Pharmacy / Fresh market concept:  This would be extremely popular at this corner as it can cater to the daytime professional crowd as well as the evening nightlife scene.  Residents will also benefit from a downtown market concept.  A win-win-win.
  •  
  • This is the second building to potentially transform into a tech start-up hub within a block of the other (The Exchange).  This can create fantastic synergy and really bodes well for the strength of the downtown office market.  If Orlando can begin to create a techie hub downtown, it would be unique to the region and could open up to major branding potential for the CBD.
Edited by prahaboheme
  • Like 2

^Someone's been listening to us "negative Nancy's" after all.  :thumbsup:

A few points:

• Pharmacy / Fresh market concept:  This would be extremely popular at this corner as it can cater to the daytime professional crowd as well as the evening nightlife scene.  Residents will also benefit from a downtown market concept.  A win-win-win.
  •  
  • This is the second building to potentially transform into a tech start-up hub within a block of the other (The Exchange).  This can create fantastic synergy and really bodes well for the strength of the downtown office market.  If Orlando can begin to create a techie hub downtown, it would be unique to the region and could open up to major branding potential for the CBD.

Would be great to see a national chain like CVS set up shop on the first floor. That would be quite a coup.

And, once you see a CVS, a Walgreen's couldn't be too far off in the future (they seem to arrive in pairs).

• Like 1

Hey is that a NEW +1 (plus one) condo development sign on the corner of I think Livingston and Orange?  I know there was one in that same spot for what seems like forever, probably left and forgotten, but for the past month or two it hasn't been there.  That is until I saw it up again yesterday.  It looks like a new sign, but that may be my wishful thinking brain getting the best of me. Any word on this?

More UCF chatter

UCF adds $75M downtown campus, $15M parking garage to 5-year plan

http://www.bizjournals.com/orlando/blog/2014/07/ucf-adds-75m-downtown-campus-15parking-garage-to-5.html

There is an additional $16M for "EXPO CENTER HOUSING" with 400 units on top of the other line items -- could this be at the Downtown campus too?