Downtown Orlando Project Discussion

sunshine

There is an additional $16M for "EXPO CENTER HOUSING" with 400 units on top of the other line items -- could this be at the Downtown campus too?

I've asked...let you know what I hear. Also there $6 million for the Center For Emerging Media later down the road...which is downtown -->  http://bungalower.com/2014/07/ucf-adds-95-million-downtown-orlando-campus-five-year-plan/

Re:  "UCF Downtown Presence" Campus

Am I the only one a bit concerned that the UCF downtown campus, which is presumably taking up space at the Creative Village site, may not make optimal use of its urban location?  My major concern is that the existing framework and network of streets at the Creative Village site is not all that urban and inviting for pedestrians.  Could this potentially turn into a downtown suburban campus, something that rests more in a silo much like the former Orlando Expo?

Obviously this is total speculation as we haven't seen any renderings of a potential downtown campus at this point.  I'd be curious to hear what others think -- can the Creative Village location be transformed into an urban environment?

Praha, as usual, is spot on. Historically, there was never anything the least bit urban about this area - it was the fairgrounds. And, as we know, there's never been anything remotely urban about UCF - a perusal of Beth Kassab's various columns about the sprawl along University Blvd. and Alafaya Trail demonstrates that (not to mention the impending destruction of downtown Oviedo in favor of the automobile as opposed to the pedestrians).

So, technically speaking, there's no reason to say we should expect anything other than suburb-lite here. Should we desire an extension of the core, it will require the input of someone like Craig Ustler or a new generation of urbanists to make the case. Mayor Buddy likes flashy new projects - the setting in which they exist is not any sort of priority.

Craig Ustler's name has been involved through the whole process so far. I'm not too worried about this becoming an enclosed situation as UCF really has no reason to move downtown if they want more of the same. They are very good at that in East Orange County

• Like 2

I agree with that. I was there for the Fiesta Bowl and wasn't overly impressed. Hard to gauge since it was New Years and students were understandably not around and the campus was closed...hopefully the Bowl game was the chief reason they toured it and not as the go-to reference. There are plenty of other universities to look to

I agree. Having lived in Phoenix for many years, the impact isn't anywhere near as significant as one would hope. I think that the best urban campus in the country is GW in DC. THAT should be their model if they really want to create a presence. http://virtualtour.gwu.edu/#UMAP_2013090592962

Edited by mrh3
  • Like 3

You could add University of Pittsburgh and many others to that list (NYU, GW) but you'd be forgetting something - those are the "main" campuses for the schools listed, this would be a satelite campus. Most well-placed urban campuses are also quite old, and had the city expand within or around them.  This is a fresh start, and a branch campus.  I think looking at another sunbelt city that puled it off is a good idea.  Besides, I'm guess the comparisons to ASU have more to do with the logistics of creating a separate campus within an urban core near the main campus than the design of said campus 

New 205 Hyatt Place hotel next to Church Street Ballroom.  Looks to be around 14-15 stories from the rendering.  Nice.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/business/blog/brinkmann-on-business/os-new-hyatt-place-hotel-proposed-for-downtown-20140725,0,7258124.post

Hopefully we will see the same impact as the Hyatt House in downtown Charlotte near Time Warner Cable Arena. With the location of this Hyatt Place, not far from Amway, will be great to see what else besides bars downtown can attract.

5armgg.jpg

Street level photo updates:

Residence Inn & Lust Cash Transactor  Mama B's

post-26482-0-73724700-1407212270_thumb.j

Crescent Central Station apartments

(I caught a potent whiff of freshly installed plywood from across the street, but hey the infill is nice if not jarring to the memory.)

post-26482-0-09919600-1407212287_thumb.j

• Like 2

Yea, as of last night, the crane was fully erected at 420. From their webpage, this place seems to be a hoot to live at.

"A heated saltwater pool, surrounded by 10,000 SF lounge and activity deck, will be constructed on the fourth of nine levels at Artisan 420. LED shuffleboard, a life-size chessboard and competition-grade Tailgate Toss tournament courts are active amenities planned for the large outdoor recreation deck."

• Like 2

Yea, as of last night, the crane was fully erected at 420. From their webpage, this place seems to be a hoot to live at.

"A heated saltwater pool, surrounded by 10,000 SF lounge and activity deck, will be constructed on the fourth of nine levels at Artisan 420. LED shuffleboard, a life-size chessboard and competition-grade Tailgate Toss tournament courts are active amenities planned for the large outdoor recreation deck."

Maybe it's called Artisan 420 for a reason... :thumbsup:

• Like 2

Nice pictures, thanks!

That looks ridiculous (Mama B's).  That corner has so more potential.

When the hotel is done it's going to look like the last shot from the movie "*batteries not included" where the house full of old people is surrounded by high rises.

Red Lobster announces location of new headquarters

Red Lobster signed a long-term lease with CNL on Wednesday for 91,226 square feet, believed to be the largest lease in the CBD since the Great Recession.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/business/blog/brinkmann-on-business/os-red-lobster-announces-location-of-new-headquarters-20140806,0,4379725.post

Edited by smileguy
  • Like 1