Downtown Orlando Project Discussion

sunshine

I believe there was a Red Lobster in downtown at one point at the Church Street Market (although I may be confusing this with Olive Garden).  The article mentions that they will be have tasting room on the ground floor of the CNL tower, periodically open to the public.  Perhaps they will expand with a "test kitchen" concept somewhere downtown, where they test out new menu options at a discount rate (similar to Legal Seafoods' Test Kitchen in the Boston Seaport). 

On a side note, I am really loving the independent nature and startup mentality of companies moving into downtown and taking up office space.  Within less than a month, we have now seen the complete build-out of the Exchange building with tech startups, an announcement that the old Valencia building is getting built out with startup space, and now Red Lobster has "broken away" from the corporate giant to reassess their brand, in a creative way that is inspired by a more urban setting.  This is very good news for downtown Orlando.

• Like 4

It was an Olive Garden. Scott Joseph is pondering whether it might lead to an RL downtown - he suggests the Urban Flats space.

http://www.scottjosephorlando.com/index.php/news/2601-cnl-center-for-new-lobster

Speaking of tech startups, there is also a move afoot to do something similar with the old Ivey's building at Orange and Central.

It was an Olive Garden. Scott Joseph is pondering whether it might lead to an RL downtown - he suggests the Urban Flats space.

http://www.scottjosephorlando.com/index.php/news/2601-cnl-center-for-new-lobster

Speaking of tech startups, there is also a move afoot to do something similar with the old Ivey's building at Orange and Central.

Yep, the place on Central/Orange:

http://www.bizjournals.com/orlando/blog/2014/06/first-look-inside-catalyst-upcoming-tech-co.html

As someone who has been in the software industry my entire adult life, I have a little bit of cautious optimism when it comes to the 'tech start-up' shops sprouting up in every urban core. A vast majority of these companies (the start-ups renting seats, not the co-working facilities) will fail. 

That said, it's great that young risk takers can be connected to funding when it's merited. All it takes is one of those companies to take off into orbit to have a significant impact, and these new facilities provide launch pads. Definite net positive here.

Expect a lot t-shirts and MacBook Pros. :)

Edited by castorvx
  • Like 1

I believe there was a Red Lobster in downtown at one point at the Church Street Market (although I may be confusing this with Olive Garden).  The article mentions that they will be have tasting room on the ground floor of the CNL tower, periodically open to the public.  Perhaps they will expand with a "test kitchen" concept somewhere downtown, where they test out new menu options at a discount rate (similar to Legal Seafoods' Test Kitchen in the Boston Seaport). 

On a side note, I am really loving the independent nature and startup mentality of companies moving into downtown and taking up office space.  Within less than a month, we have now seen the complete build-out of the Exchange building with tech startups, an announcement that the old Valencia building is getting built out with startup space, and now Red Lobster has "broken away" from the corporate giant to reassess their brand, in a creative way that is inspired by a more urban setting.  This is very good news for downtown Orlando.

Im young. Is there a reason Darden isn't downtown?

"The company also said it plans to hire 70 new employees in two years for the new headquarters, mostly in information technology."

I wonder if this will lead other companies to think, "Well, we need IT, so let's move to the source."  With increasing transit options, a concentration of IT and marketing people, and a bigger college presence, I hope we see more HQs coming to Downtown.

Would love to be a fly in the room for Red Lobsters strategy meetings. Not often does a brand that big have a real chance for a fresh start (that actually is perceived by consumers to be one).

I don't know how many locals ever perceived Darden brands as a hometown entity with a national presence like maybe a Dunkin Donuts in the northeast or Skyline in Ohio, In and Out etc. Dardens remote HQ didn't help either.

Would be great for Orlando and Red Lobster to begin a win win relationship.

RL is the only Darden/ex-Darden brand I care the tiniest bit for to where I hope they improve.

I have absolutely no experience/knowledge of the restaurant industry, but from my completely uneducated perspective, it seems to be that RL would be far easier to turn around and make profitable than Olive Garden. Not only are Italian restaurants a dime a dozen these days, people can also make Italian cuisine at home. Why go to Olive Garden when there are so many other options -- many of which are more authentic, better quality, etc. -- and you can make it at home.

Seafood, however, is a slightly different story. Not as many seafood restaurants around (particularly in middle America) and it's not as simple to prepare at home.

Just my 2-cents.

The O Sentinel comments sections are filled with the most pathetic lowly souls in the region, where all the angry retired and unemployed go (all day) to drain their sorrows. I just don't even bother anymore.

Errr I commented on that article.  That said, I think I was the only one with a positive comment about it.

Red Lobster. The article about employees already taking SunRail was interesting as Darden isn't on the SunRail line.

I work across the street from them.  They were really aggressive on getting a vanpool to the headquarters.  Sadly our complex did a poor job of it.  Darden people were wearing blue Sunrail/Darden shirts when they started the shuttles.

I honestly am interested about that 1st floor kitchen.  I think that's a great idea.  Could that be a quick lunch spot as well maybe?

• Like 1

I honestly am interested about that 1st floor kitchen.  I think that's a great idea.  Could that be a quick lunch spot as well maybe?

I read that it's not going to be open to the public except for special events. I am not familiar with the inside of the building, but isn't the plan to funnel DPAC patrons through the lobby en route from he parking garage? With a couple of thousand folks passing through in a day, a well-designed presence on the first floor of that building could be a huge opportunity.

• Like 1

So I was just scouring the MPB agendas for possible new information about downtown developments and came across a case on the slate for the upcoming September 16 meeting. It's titled "Ace Cafe Orlando" and is described as a "multi-phased development which includes retail, outdoor activities [and] restoration activities" planned for 100 W Livingston St., which is the lot directly south of Lynx Central Station and immediately to the west of the Bank of America building.

Correct me if this is old news but I don't recall hearing about this until now.

After digging a bit deeper I found that the Ace Cafe originated as a rock 'n' roll biker bar in London in 1938 and has since grown into a global brand (chain). Here's a YouTube video showing what they have planned for Downtown Orlando. And here's an article about Ace Cafe Orlando that ran in the Sentinel in April.

As a gear head, I'm intrigued by such a venue and think it makes good sense for the City of Orlando but as an urbanist, I can't help but think that this is one of the worst possible uses for such a prime piece of downtown real estate. I think it's a cool concept and I can see why the location makes sense for the developers but if this was my game of Sim City, I'd plop this landmark down by I-Drive.

They're basically planning on putting up an automotive-themed strip mall complete with surface parking across the street from the intermodal station that was supposed to encourage transit-oriented development. To think that we've gone from visions of a "World Trade Center" tower on this site to a biker bar is a little depressing.

So I was just scouring the MPB agendas for possible new information about downtown developments and came across a case on the slate for the upcoming September 16 meeting. It's titled "Ace Cafe Orlando" and is described as a "multi-phased development which includes retail, outdoor activities [and] restoration activities" planned for 100 W Livingston St., which is the lot directly south of Lynx Central Station and immediately to the west of the Bank of America building.

Correct me if this is old news but I don't recall hearing about this until now.

After digging a bit deeper I found that the Ace Cafe originated as a rock 'n' roll biker bar in London in 1938 and has since grown into a global brand (chain). Here's a YouTube video showing what they have planned for Downtown Orlando. And here's an article about Ace Cafe Orlando that ran in the Sentinel in April.

As a gear head, I'm intrigued by such a venue and think it makes good sense for the City of Orlando but as an urbanist, I can't help but think that this is one of the worst possible uses for such a prime piece of downtown real estate. I think it's a cool concept and I can see why the location makes sense for the developers but if this was my game of Sim City, I'd plop this landmark down by I-Drive.

They're basically planning on putting up an automotive-themed strip mall complete with surface parking across the street from the intermodal station that was supposed to encourage transit-oriented development. To think that we've gone from visions of a "World Trade Center" tower on this site to a biker bar is a little depressing.

Agreed. That lot should be used for something else.

Hope this doesn't go through.

I'd have to disagree. As much as I'm all for more dense development in downtown I think that keeping a few older buildings, such as this one, will help make Orlando different.

Ace has a decent following in the UK, this will help drive them downtown hopefully. Being in an historic building might help the city shake that "no history " myth some.

I do wish it interacted with Gertrude's Walk more and had a better parking option, but overall I believe this will be a fine addition to downtown that will become an icon of the city soon enough.

I would prefer tall buildings but at the end of the day I'm glad at least a few of the older ones are getting saved, even if it is the ugly warehouse ones.

• Like 2

I thought this was a good idea for the lot.  Its on the back side of BofA and other than off site parking for Bob Carr, it hasn't seen much activity in years.  Personally, I see this as something different to add to the downtown mix and get people that would normally not step foot downtown onto the streets.  It also offers great visibility from I4.  

I dont believe this particular lot has ever been discussed as a possibility for Orlando World Trade.  At one time it had a few residential tower proposals but that was in 2005.