Downtown Orlando Project Discussion

sunshine

The surface parking was discussed on this forum when this project originally came to light. Someone pointed out that surface parking makes more sense for a place like this as it gives them a place to show off bikes, etc. With motorcycles (and old cars?) being part of the shtick, it kinda makes sense here, even if it is a supposed dense urban environment. Is a surface lot that much worse than a grass lot? 

This project also had some shipping container concepts in it, which I found interesting.

I think it could be done right, and I certainly can't argue with having some tourism draw directed at downtown. We need it.

I don't think it has been a year, has it? Earliest mention I can find of this is April 2014? That's only 4 months ago. 

http://www.cityoforlando.net/city-planning/wp-content/uploads/sites/27/2014/08/MPBnTRCrecapSept2014rv5.pdf

Looks like it's on the agenda for the September 16th MPB meeting. I'm not familiar with this process, so perhaps someone who is can comment ... but it looks like it's still alive and kicking.

The new Hyatt on Garland is also mentioned in that document.

I don't think it has been a year, has it? Earliest mention I can find of this is April 2014? That's only 4 months ago. 

Over a year ago there was discussion of Ace Cafe coming to downtown Orlando, but I think the original plan was to put it somewhere on Church Street (where Don Jefe's opened if memory serves me right).

Over a year ago there was discussion of Ace Cafe coming to downtown Orlando, but I think the original plan was to put it somewhere on Church Street (where Don Jefe's opened if memory serves me right).

They've been talking with the City for over a year. They had asked us not to publish anything yet because it wasn't a done deal yet. We listened..others did not. Now they have filed with ARB...we wrote about it today ---> http://bungalower.com/2014/08/ace-cafe-entertinament-reatil-complex-open-downtown-orlando

And again they also asked us today not to write, but we let them know that we couldn't wait any longer...but expect an official announcement from them in October.

• Like 1

And again they also asked us today not to write, but we let them know that we couldn't wait any longer...but expect an official announcement from them in October.

What's the big secret? They have an official web page dedicated to the Orlando site, complete with renderings and a link to the YouTube clip showing more renderings and a Twitter handle that links to the Sentinel's article about them from April (which includes a detailed video interview on the site of the future Ace Cafe).

What's the big secret? They have an official web page dedicated to the Orlando site, complete with renderings and a link to the YouTube clip showing more renderings and a Twitter handle that links to the Sentinel's article about them from April (which includes a detailed video interview on the site of the future Ace Cafe).

yeah...I know.

It's been interesting how many people want to open a business or build a building and want to control the media coverage and their way of doing so is holding their messaging until they are ready to share...problem is when they are ready to share...most of us are done covering...and so they miss the opportunity to get their messaging shared....rant over.

I'd have to disagree. As much as I'm all for more dense development in downtown I think that keeping a few older buildings, such as this one, will help make Orlando different.

Ace has a decent following in the UK, this will help drive them downtown hopefully. Being in an historic building might help the city shake that "no history " myth some.

I do wish it interacted with Gertrude's Walk more and had a better parking option, but overall I believe this will be a fine addition to downtown that will become an icon of the city soon enough.

I would prefer tall buildings but at the end of the day I'm glad at least a few of the older ones are getting saved, even if it is the ugly warehouse ones.

Couldn't agree more. It would be a travesty to tear down that old building on Livingston, & even the one behind it that used to house :08 & whatever else was there is worth saving. I think that spot is the perfect place for that kind of attraction, too. Tearing all that out to put up a high rise there just doesn't seem right to me.

And IMO, that old building on Livingston (I forget the name of the company but I think they sold pumps there for decades... Miller Pumps maybe?) is no ugly warehouse either...

livstnbld.jpg

Clean that baby up & it'll be one of our old gems.

Of which we have too few as it is.

• Like 2

Harry P. Leu (yes, of Leu Gardens fame). Indeed, that old building beats a Baker Barrios monstrosity anyday, imho. Let's also not forget that a motorcycle dealership (not to mention the gift shop) adds to the diversity of retail downtown (hey, it's not a 7-Eleven!)

I know it seems quite foreign now, but once upon a time, one of the things you went downtown for was to buy a new car. I'm thankful to Fields Fiat for keeping at least a part of the tradition going.

So this project is a go I assume? Another disappointment for downtown. Should only be a minor set back.

As for the Hyatt, I wonder if that location will be affected by the I-4 Construction coming soon?
Hopefully the Hyatt interacts with the Sunrail Station and New Lymmo Line somehow.

Edited by CaptainJustice

I made a supportive post about this project when it first leaked, and I stand by it.  I don't own a motorcycle and don't particularly like them, but this may be the first overseas "tourist" destination to choose downtown in, I don't know, forever?  Apparently this brand is very popular with tourists at the London site.  Those who come visit this place will be exposed to the rest of our beautiful downtown...also, this diversifies things (every little bit counts) - from what I remember they plan on hosting car and bike shows, etc.  Add to that the repurposing of old buildings and I think it's a winner.  Anyone concerned with noise (from bikes, humans, trains or otherwise) probably shouldn't be living in the middle of a city.  Personnally, I'm drawn to the commotion....

I don't see how this is a disappointment for all the reasons others have already mentioned. When the other 50 surface lots in downtown are developed, maybe I can see your point. This is a big deal for the social and retail aspect. People will be coming to downtown who may not have it was not for this establishment. 

I have to agree that Ace is a good fit for the area. Although I'm generally against surface lots in the city center, it seems necessary for the type of business that Ace cafe is. My only hope is that all the people (and hopefully tourists) that drive in don't simply park in the lot, go have lunch, and then drive home. We need to try and find a way for them to make Ace Cafe part of their overall trip to Downtown Orlando.

Ace beats the status quo and it's a lot better than if someone developed an empty lot with a suburban use ( new building, setback, no height etc.). If it's successful, great if not then we are no worse than we are today.

I find myself guilty of imagining all great cities to have 0 surface parking or setbacks and having recently visted San Fran and Providence I remembered that it's not the case at all. Many surface lots (non-public parking) and other areas of nothingness. Most outside plazas have the same affect when they aren't active.

I don't see how this is a disappointment for all the reasons others have already mentioned. When the other 50 surface lots in downtown are developed, maybe I can see your point. This is a big deal for the social and retail aspect. People will be coming to downtown who may not have it was not for this establishment. 

Maybe this might help why some are disappointed.

mkbscp.png

A lot of you are easy going low rise supporters cool. No one is against that. But in the areas zoned for high density, there should be higher density. And It's odd to have something like this near a Public Transit Station. Would have been another great opportunity for TDO in Orlando since the Hyatt Plot is taken now.

Maybe this might help why some are disappointed. The burgandy or darker colored area is not restricted height but only by the FAA not the city. The outer shade of that has a 200' limit and 100' after that then 60' and 30ft and under. So why couldn't this be in a different location? Thats all I'm wondering. Wanted to see more TDO near the Sunrail Station like the Central Station project.

mkbscp.png

A lot of you are easy going low rise supporters cool. No one is against that. But in the areas zoned for high density, there should be higher density. And It's odd to have something like this near a Public Transit Station. Would have been another great opportunity for TDO in Orlando since the Hyatt Plot is taken now.

Maybe this might help why some are disappointed.

Personally, I'm just glad they aren't going to demo the old buildings, especially the old Harry P. Leu building that fronts Livingston, to put up a barren cement tower there.

In my mind, there is just something about that corner that I feel is perfect for an Ace Cafe type development. Plus, they'll be hopefully able to retain any trees that are currently around the perimeter & possibly add some more.

The Leu building has some architectural value as well as some historical significance, so just for those reasons alone, I'm glad it'll be saved if this project goes thru. The fact that it happens to be something pretty cool is just a bonus.

• Like 4