Downtown Orlando Project Discussion

sunshine

I always thought a giant sundial 30'-40' tall would be an amazing addition to the southern gateway to DT. With the proper lighting program it could be as iconic as Centennial Fountain in Lake Eola.

You know, that wouldn't be a bad idea as long as it doesn't look so "precast" concrete-ish and if they stamped it to give it a bricked historic look. I think a Sundial would look great on both corners of the Lake Lucerne park area facing Orange Ave. However, I lack the proper photochop skills to make a rendering as good as the Colonial Dr arch, so you'll just have to use your imagination instead.

post-26482-0-01254400-1411097549_thumb.j

Edited by nite owℓ

I like the word "placemaking". I am currently in Europe. And it is evident that Europeans are extremely good at placemaking and urban planning. And also, they do not put cars as the priority in transportation planning. I have seen so many major roads all of sudden changed from 2 lanes to 1 lane just to put in a bike lane.

• Like 1

Everyone should go drive on North Orange Ave and go southbound from Gateway Center.  As you drive and get closer to Colonial Drive, look up and right at the Residence Inn that's U/C.  If you're not paying close attention, you will not recognize that intersection because that hotel is so close to Colonial, that, along with Steelhouse, you don't realize you're there yet.  Because before, Steelhouse was just an empty vast lot and there was just Mama B's and Camden behind it.  There was this huge open swath signifying proximity to Colonial Drive that existed for decades.  Now, its so dense it doesn't look like a no-man's land anymore.

Huge improvement.  And Residence Inn isn't even topped off yet.  That really bridges the development gap both physically and visually from the street side.

• Like 3

I'm totally plussed by the renderings (landscaping, lighting etc.), but with word out that there would be massive landscaping, I had hoped to see more plantings between the lanes, a la 408.  I guess with the additional express lanes, to ask them to include room for median planters in their ROW was too much to ask.

With regard to Maitland vs Gertrude's walk ... apples - oranges.  Maitland walkway goes over I-4 thus part of I4Ultimate.  Gertrudes Walk will go over 50, not part of I4Ultimate.

To my understanding, Gertrude's ped bridge is tied into FDOT's funding and was planned to begin around the same time as I4Ultimate.

This was also mentioned in the Orlando Sentinel a few months ago; "Work on the [$8.3 million pedestrian bridge] overpass is set to coincide with the massive, $2.3 billion overhaul of Interstate 4 through downtown that likely will begin in earnest in 2015. The bridge, paid for with a state grant, could be completed as early as 2016, but more likely 2017."

Edited by nite owℓ

Also, MLS stadium is breaking ground next month. Yay!

Orlando City Soccer MLS stadium to break ground next month

http://www.bizjournals.com/orlando/blog/2014/09/orlando-city-soccer-stadium-to-break-ground-next.html

I bet you these two projects (The Sevens) will coincide with their respective groundbreakings.

I also heard that the MLS stadium will in fact go with the new plan and it will cut off Parramore and they will get rid of the drainage ditch park to the west to do so, so, per the article, it will be monumental for that neighborhood for MANY reasons...

Glad to see these updates. Citi Tower is the one I'm most anxious about and I can't find anything new on it.

I'd venture to say Citi Tower won't break ground until Artisan 420 is close to being topped off; perhaps in 4 months or so.

It just seems like some of these projects' groundbreakings are timed to coincide with the progress level of neighboring projects.  The Sevens will break ground in October.  NORA is pretty much complete.  Residence Inn will be topped off by then.