Downtown Orlando Project Discussion

sunshine

Don't stay within the fence past 5pm on purpose or by accident. Had an aggressive verbal run in with a guard there, erroneously thinking that it was a public park. The security guards there assume that you are vagrant or criminal.

always had a funny feeling about those guards, even driving by at a slow speed...they think its a potential drive by or something...

• Like 1

always had a funny feeling about those guards, even driving by at a slow speed...they think its a potential drive by or something...

I'll add to the list. It's almost like the guards go out of their way to be weird. There's a traffic light right next to the building so that forces all cars to slowly cruise by so I've seen the guards scowl at cars driving by at night - myself included. I can understand the reality that the building is situated near downtown in Parramore so there are probably tons of drunk people, vagrants and riff raff that cause nightly disturbances. The guards probably resort to assuming everyone is guilty... of something lol. I may have waved to them in the past, but I kind of want to turn my lights off as I drive by at night just to mess with them :scared:

Some interesting articles online re: wood framed mid rise construction.

From one I found....

Wood-framed buildings are going higher in North America, Japan, and especially Europe. California’s codes allow for a Type 3 building constructed from treated wood up to five stories, typically sitting atop a garage or concrete slab. On April 1, British Columbia raised the allowable height of wood-framed buildings to six stories, from four. And Japan just started allowing wood buildings up to five stories, from three.

In late February, tenants and owners started moving into what’s being touted as the world’s tallest wood building, a nine-story apartment tower in London’s East End. The construction of that ­building—29 units within eight stories over one story of concrete—features layers of cross-laminated panels joined ­together, Tetris-like, with metal fittings.

woodmidrise.jpg

The tower’s architect, Andrew Waugh, says his company is planning a 17-story wood building and will experiment with a 25-story structure. That would be unheard of in the U.S., where the International Code Council (ICC) limits wood-framed buildings to four stories or six using “heavy timber,” says Gary Nelson, ICC’s senior staff engineer for architectural and engineering services.

http://www.builderonline.com/building/wood-framed-construction-gaining-ground-for-taller-mid-rises_o

Note the last sentence.

^^

fascinating.

but they are doing it differently than Artisan 420 by far.

the north end is made up of thin concrete stilts ala Lexington Court which look like they end at floor 2, while the southern end is made up of concrete blocks on the first level with no sign of any concrete vertical posts at that level, which is the ground floor of the end that's supposed to be 9 stories.  How is that possible?  At least with Residence Inn they had the concrete frame going up and filled in with concrete blocks.  Here, there's no frame at all.  How do you go up another 8 stories on that end without a concrete frame?

The north end to me smells of a wood frame going up over the first level b/c that end only goes up 6 stories.

Edited by jrs2

Feb's ARB has been posted:

ACE Cafe (Phase II): The proposed Phase Two plan includes the renovation and conversion of the existing on-site barn into an event space that will open on to the event lawn; the renovation of an existing concrete structure into a restroom facility and; the construction of a “container” structure that will provide seating, shelter and patron service areas along the eastern side of the event lawn.

post-26482-0-88067700-1424096250_thumb.j

The materials and colors of the shipping containers will require a Minor ARB review, but I personally hope ACE cafe is given full creative freedom to go all out. Shipping container buildings can end up looking like a shanty town if they are poorly designed, especially when using minimal glass window exposures and muted colors.

Red Lobster: The Red Lobster logo will replace the CNL logo on the Western facade of the CNL I building (facing Boone Ave and I-4). The RL logo will glow red at night.

post-26482-0-37662300-1424097216_thumb.j

Lexington Court: "Since the August 2014 ARB meeting the Applicant has meet multiple times with ARB Staff to present further refined colors and paint schemes for the building. The results of the Applicant’s efforts and collaboration with ARB Staff has resulted in the creation of the color scheme presented in this staff report."

Original proposal vs Approved color scheme:

post-26482-0-01190700-1424100475_thumb.j      post-26482-0-22335900-1424100482_thumb.j

All of the retweaking made the building look a little drab... I think I prefer the original color scheme.

• Like 2

Feb's ARB has been posted:

ACE Cafe (Phase II): The proposed Phase Two plan includes the renovation and conversion of the existing on-site barn into an event space that will open on to the event lawn; the renovation of an existing concrete structure into a restroom facility and; the construction of a “container” structure that will provide seating, shelter and patron service areas along the eastern side of the event lawn.

The materials and colors of the shipping containers will require a Minor ARB review, but I personally hope ACE cafe is given full creative freedom to go all out. Shipping container buildings can end up looking like a shanty town if they are poorly designed, especially when using minimal glass window exposures and muted colors.

Red Lobster: The Red Lobster logo will replace the CNL logo on the Western facade of the CNL I building (facing Boone Ave and I-4). The RL logo will glow red at night.

Lexington Court: "Since the August 2014 ARB meeting the Applicant has meet multiple times with ARB Staff to present further refined colors and paint schemes for the building. The results of the Applicant’s efforts and collaboration with ARB Staff has resulted in the creation of the color scheme presented in this staff report."

Original proposal vs Approved color scheme:

All of the retweaking made the building look a little drab... I think I prefer the original color scheme.

Of course it looks drab. This is Borelando. Or Orblando. Whichever you prefer.

We're not allowed to look at bright or interesting colors around here.

At least not on our downtown buildings,

On the other hand, we'll be the only city in the US with a 17 story Red Lobster. 

Woo Hoo!!!!

• Like 1

Of course it looks drab. This is Borelando. Or Orblando. Whichever you prefer.

We're not allowed to look at bright or interesting colors around here.

At least not on our downtown buildings,

On the other hand, we'll be the only city in the US with a 17 story Red Lobster. 

Woo Hoo!!!!

I didn't hate the previous version, but nothing says "affordable housing" like bright colors.  Personally, I'm glad they're toning it down to look a little more like Nora, which I think is one of the better-looking projects we've had in a while. 

I'd be thanking the ARB for this one -- that building is going to look horribly dated in a decade.  What good could come from an ill-conceived color scheme?

I hear they've invented this wonderful new substance recently.... I think they call it "paint".  ;)

Really great for changing the color of buildings after you've gotten tired of what's there!!!!  :thumbsup:

:D

They're doing about six 75-foot deep borings on the Constitution Green property.  The six are scattered across the site, including one about fifteen feet from the largest oak.  Anyone have any info on this?

Didn't we hear or didn't someone post something about them opening up some kind of outdoor market place type thing with walkways & vendor stalls, etc?

For some reason I seem to recall hearing something like that.

What's drab to you guys?  Lake Eola looks like the Easter bunny threw up all over the surrounding buildings and even the Suntrust Building has the now fading pastel pyramids that make my eyes hurt every time I look at them.   I'm pretty sure that's more because I came from Denver where 2million shades of earth and brick tone is the rule (and if you really want to hear howling about drab boring colors you can talk to some Denver residents) and not because there is anything inherently wrong with colors.  When I see loud colors or even bright colors I always suspect the building has something to hide, either it's geometrically boring, poorly constructed, or has nothing to do (no ground floor retail or public space).  

What's drab to you guys?  Lake Eola looks like the Easter bunny threw up all over the surrounding buildings and even the Suntrust Building has the now fading pastel pyramids that make my eyes hurt every time I look at them.   I'm pretty sure that's more because I came from Denver where 2million shades of earth and brick tone is the rule (and if you really want to hear howling about drab boring colors you can talk to some Denver residents) and not because there is anything inherently wrong with colors.  When I see loud colors or even bright colors I always suspect the building has something to hide, either it's geometrically boring, poorly constructed, or has nothing to do (no ground floor retail or public space).  

White & grey.

Tan/beige.

Etc.