Downtown Orlando Project Discussion

sunshine

Looks like things are being lined up for 520 Church now. I believe they have actually grown the project in size but that may have been already in the plans. There are some renderings in it.

http://www.cityoforlando.net/city-planning/wp-content/uploads/sites/27/2015/08/MPBStaffReport2015-08_ZON2015-00020.pdf

I believe that the OBJ article way back had phases II & III at 12 and 10 stories respectively (420 has 9).  The MPB plans have both at 12 stories.

I like that there are live/work units.  I believe the Yard will also have live/work units.

I don't think they provided any information for the Phase 2 elevations or number of floors.  This basically only approved Phase 1.  Phase 2 will need to do a future master plan.  I had thought that Phase 2 would be 16 floors, which would be nice because they could see over the Phase 1 building toward Lake Eola and downtown on the upper floors.  I thought they had some kind of MPB staff report a few months ago that did include both phases though, so maybe I'm confused.

I love this project.  It's kinda weird that Mariposa and Osceola will become basically the most dense residential intersection in downtown.

In what seems like another lifetime, we looked at those townhouses near Mariposa when they were going in and thought "Nah, this is a wasteland compared to most of downtown."

Edited by HankStrong

"“I fully support what these gentlemen are saying. Apartments are needed as the city grows. This is not the right place for it,” said resident Mark Kettinger."

Bet that dude doesn't mind his Publix.

There's a complete ring of blocks filled with multi-family projects surrounding 520 Church Street. Most of Thornton Park is buffered from this project by townhouses and even a lake. I don't know how they think this will affect them. This clearly is the right place for it. 

I like the newer rendering featured in the report -- this is a much more urban-looking building than we have seen in some of the other mid-rise projects around downtown (ie Crescent and some of the Uptown projects).

I think that rendering has been around for awhile.

Looks to be just a darker version of this one..

520-new-pretty-rendering*750xx4000-2250-

In the same vein as the Skyplex people continuously releasing updated renderings and tidbits of info to BS the public into believing that it will actually get built (when mango's isn't even done yet and its garage with rooftop restaurant hasn't even broken ground), what is the deal with CitiTower?  They were/are supposed to break ground in August...this month...as reported in July, but there's no activity anywhere.  The last drama filled actual groundbreaking was with The Sevens, and I think that was the last project to break ground in downtown.  Is this really going to happen?

^ Agree, Sevens was the last ... with the exception of maybe the "ground shaking" of the Ace Cafe referb.  Speaking of Ace, back in the spring a sign went up saying "opening summer 2015."  Then at the ground shaking they were saying September.  From what I can see from I-4, very little has happened since then.  Does anyone have any news on these guys?

I think South and Anderson should both be two-way streets.  In my view, the main issue is access to/from the 408 from downtown.  I've been goofing around with a design for this access.  I'd love to hear some feedback on these ideas.  It's very rough so please go easy on me.  Also, I think the Mills/Summerlin on/off ramps should be removed and I think the westbound entrance ramp at Bumby should be free.

east.jpg

west.jpg

I'm still curious to see if anyone has any feedback on these ideas.  Maybe I posted in the wrong place?

I don't like any of it. (since I or anyone else initially didn't bite and reply). Your off ramp WB for Orange is flying through The Grande for one. You only got '20 or so from wall to building. I think the access is quite adequate honestly. Aloft entrance west, or Anderson entrance east. How hard is that?  Lastly, in the second pic, that was done away with eons ago the shift from Orange to Rosalind from Magnolia. I feel it is creating more congestion and more anti-directional flow to one-way vs normal.

I'm still curious to see if anyone has any feedback on these ideas.  Maybe I posted in the wrong place?

Your exit ramp off of 408 is not a bad idea, but the curve is very sharp and very expensive land would need to be acquired. In theory, creating a north south access is nice but would require purchasing a lot of land for no reason. That building's parking lot would be reduced creating parking shortage and would reduce the value of the structure. 

The second image looks like its creating a solution where this is no problem. 

Your exit ramp off of 408 is not a bad idea, but the curve is very sharp and very expensive land would need to be acquired. In theory, creating a north south access is nice but would require purchasing a lot of land for no reason. That building's parking lot would be reduced creating parking shortage and would reduce the value of the structure. 

The second image looks like its creating a solution where this is no problem. 

Thanks for the feedback.  Land would be required for this re-aligned exit ramp (not to mention the impact to the retirement home).  The peach areas show where new land would become available to offset that somewhat.  The benefit would be to align that exit with the South Eola area, where a lot of development is happening.  It would actually directly you straight toward Lake Eola at the fountain and would be an excellent/convenient entrance into this part of downtown.  It would also allow South Street to become a two-way street.  The second image was to show an improved eastbound on-ramp for the 408.  It would replace that goofy Anderson Street entrance ramp and would allow Anderson to be a two-way road.  It would take cars from northbound Orange, southbound Orange and southbound Magnolia.

Rearranging the off ramp from eastbound 408 to empty out onto Rosalind, thus allowing for South Street to be converted to a proper two-way street is an interesting idea.  I like it.

Thanks.  That was one of the main goals.  Folks going to south Orange Ave. from the existing ramp need to get on South Street and clog it up and then go down to Orange and make a left and it does not work well.  The new alignment would also send people directly to the DPAC and the arena.  The exit ramp onto South Street at Mills would also be removed.