Downtown Orlando Project Discussion

sunshine

Where is it marked that is an AT&T building? I always thought it was just a collection of various companies in those offices. Google maps doesn't list AT&T there.

For many years, it had the blue and white circular AT&T logo on the wall facing Magnolia where the mural is now.

Before that, it was recognizable by the ugly microwave towers that were mounted on it's roof.

lakeeola1069.jpg

Edited by JFW657

The Downtown 10-year plan just released had making Washington St a gateway to Eola Park as a goal.  Putting the OMA there would be a great first step towards reinvigorating this area. The best way to get rid of dystopia is to give the non-dystopian people a reason to go there. That is slowly what's happening on W Church, and will accelerate once the OCSC stadium and Magic Entertainment complex get built.  

It's important to note there are two different parts of the structure. There's the hulking, windowless monolith on the Washington St. side, which I'd love to see demolished asap. Then there's the original Wall St. building that housed Southern Bell and its forerunners for years before the eventual move to the First National Bank building (long since melded into SunTrust's complex.) The older building, with lots of windows and traditional exterior details, would be well worth saving.

• Like 4

I know this is off topic but I really think for the sake of the city's future we should develop a grid system for the roads it'll benefit the area in so many ways. I even drafted a chart during School of what it could look like

I see nothing.

However, I was downtown for the game Saturday and it was nice to see all of the activity going on!  Very nice.

For many years, it had the blue and white circular AT&T logo on the wall facing Magnolia where the mural is now.

Before that, it was recognizable by the ugly microwave towers that were mounted on it's roof.

lakeeola1069.jpg

Okay, this is not the area I thought you guys were talking about. The location I have thought would be a great spot for a museum is across Robinson from Lake Eola's northern side...the glass buildings here. Not that they'd be willing to move.

Eola.jpg

• Like 2

Lani and Nick, welcome! Glad to have you with us. I certainly agree about the grid - it's always a little challenging in Orlando because of all our sinkholes with attitudes (aka lakes). As to painting the Wells Fargo building, I'm intrigued they finally did it. It's been years since they first painted the Contemporary Resort and I've always thought it was an improvement. Praha will kill me for this, but I'd like them to paint the library while they're at it.

Edited by spenser1058

It would be interesting to repurpose one of the Landmark Center buildings as a museum. I've always thought two identical suburban office buildings downtown was sort of cheesy and hoped they'd depreciate into oblivion sooner rather than later, but a reuse would make me feel better. Good idea, PeteC.

• Like 1

It would be interesting to repurpose one of the Landmark Center buildings as a museum. I've always thought two identical suburban office buildings downtown was sort of cheesy and hoped they'd depreciate into oblivion sooner rather than later, but a reuse would make me feel better. Good idea, PeteC.

I've always fantasized about the Landmark buildings being converted similar to the office building at Park Ave. and New England Ave.  They totally redid the style of that building back in 2003 and it really worked out well.  It would also be great to have a new road between them and a huge outdoor activity area on the east side where the big oaks are.

Edited by gibby
  • Like 2

Re:  downtown OMA relocation

I like really the idea of taking over the ATT building and expanding in that location, it is an underutilized section of the CBD that with the History center would establish a downtown cultural area.

If they could secure the empy lot at Washington/Rosalind due east, the design could feature an outdoor civic space that allows folks to linger and take in the views of Lake Eola.

Something like this:

ICA%20Boston%201.jpg

ICA Boston

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Drove by the Ace Cafe site this morning and it finally looks like a construction site now! I suppose they had been doing a lot of fiddily bits including the careful dismantling of the old barn, it has looked like an asbestos remediation for so long. Not now, lots vegetation removed, ground turned, earth moving equipment filling the soon to be parking lot. Hopefully now the hard and invisible from the road parts are wrapping up, we'll see more activity.

• Like 4

Drove by the Ace Cafe site this morning and it finally looks like a construction site now! I suppose they had been doing a lot of fiddily bits including the careful dismantling of the old barn, it has looked like an asbestos remediation for so long. Not now, lots vegetation removed, ground turned, earth moving equipment filling the soon to be parking lot. Hopefully now the hard and invisible from the road parts are wrapping up, we'll see more activity.

That's good to hear. I'm often at the UCF Center for Emerging Media, and the area needs more eating options within walking distance. Looking forward to this as well as the new food joints that will open with Crescent Central Station. My only beef with the Ace Cafe is the parking lot, from an urbanist perspective I dislike parking lots in Downtown and I feel it's a waste of space that could be much better compacted into a garage and using the extra land for development or parks, but I understand their need of parking and that a lot is the cheapest option. In the renderings it seems they're going to use a good deal of grass pavers in the lot, so I hope they stick with this and not entirely cover it in asphalt. Hopefully in the future as more garages go up in the area they convert that parking lot into an urban park or build up the Garland side and create a plaza - as it can be a great gateway feature along Livingston into Creative Village.

Having said this I'm still excited for Ace Cafe opening its doors next year.