Downtown Orlando Project Discussion

sunshine

... My only beef with the Ace Cafe is the parking lot, from an urbanist perspective I dislike parking lots in Downtown and I feel it's a waste of space that could be much better compacted into a garage and using the extra land for development or parks, but I understand their need of parking and that a lot is the cheapest option. In the renderings it seems they're going to use a good deal of grass pavers in the lot, so I hope they stick with this and not entirely cover it in asphalt. Hopefully in the future as more garages go up in the area they convert that parking lot into an urban park or build up the Garland side and create a plaza ...

I believe that Ace Cafe is a place for motor heads so the parking lot is not as traditionally thought a place to leave your conveyance while going into the attraction, but a space that frames cars and motorcycles to be admired and so becomes part of the attraction. Personally I won't park in their lot. I try to stay out of situations of ridicule and considering my off-the lot utilitarian car I can see derisive looks happening at the very least. If I still had my restored VW camper bus, that parking lot would be one of the few places I'd drive it to other than the beach.

• Like 1

I believe that Ace Cafe is a place for motor heads so the parking lot is not as traditionally thought a place to leave your conveyance while going into the attraction, but a space that frames cars and motorcycles to be admired and so becomes part of the attraction. Personally I won't park in their lot. I try to stay out of situations of ridicule and considering my off-the lot utilitarian car I can see derisive looks happening at the very least. If I still had my restored VW camper bus, that parking lot would be one of the few places I'd drive it to other than the beach.

I get it now, it's supposed to be sort of exhibition space. Even though I dislike parking lots, I can live with it if it's going to be filled with nice and classic cars and motorcycles, provided they don't make the lot into a conventional impermeable asphalt surface. I just hope they follow through with what the renderings promise and not settle for average.

So a 15-year old F-150 with no mods is out?

My super utilitarian Nissan sedan would be even less welcomed. And to address your last question, I don't think I've seen any permeable asphalt downtown.

There's a meeting tonight with FDOT  to discuss options for slowing traffic on Robinson St by Lake Eola.  The city already plans on adding a traffic light, but an option being floated is to cut it down to 3 lanes (center turn lane) and add parking/bike paths similar to what was done to Edgewater Drive in College Park.  My experience in with Edgewater's road diet suggests this would make a tremendous difference...Also, bike lane would extend to the executive airport - adding accessibility to the Cady Way trail head on the other side of the mall and the (albeit fractured) portion of the urban trail connection.

• Like 4

If Ace Cafe Orlando turns out anything like it's London counterpart, the parking lot may be forgivable: 

https://www.google.com/maps/@51.540979,-0.2776921,3a,75y,336.41h,94.77t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1supl_JvdCJ_2Q7iA85_WOsQ!2e0!7i13312!8i6656!6m1!1e1

There's a meeting tonight with FDOT  to discuss options for slowing traffic on Robinson St by Lake Eola.  The city already plans on adding a traffic light, but an option being floated is to cut it down to 3 lanes (center turn lane) and add parking/bike paths similar to what was done to Edgewater Drive in College Park.  My experience in with Edgewater's road diet suggests this would make a tremendous difference...Also, bike lane would extend to the executive airport - adding accessibility to the Cady Way trail head on the other side of the mall and the (albeit fractured) portion of the urban trail connection.

Those proposed bike lanes would also connect nicely to the Lake Underhill/Park of the Americas trail extension.

I hope this road diet happens but I fear a lot of people will be against it out of fear it will cause major traffic congestion. Edgewater Drive is a great example of how this can be achieved successfully.

Those proposed bike lanes would also connect nicely to the Lake Underhill/Park of the Americas trail extension.

I hope this road diet happens but I fear a lot of people will be against it out of fear it will cause major traffic congestion. Edgewater Drive is a great example of how this can be achieved successfully.

There are bike lanes one street over on Livingston.  What do we need bike lanes on Robinson for as well?  This coming from someone who bikes on Livingston pretty often..

There are bike lanes one street over on Livingston.  What do we need bike lanes on Robinson for as well?  This coming from someone who bikes on Livingston pretty often..

There's no way for me to say "Why do we need Robinson when Livingston is already a road you can drive on" without being snarky...but that's my reaction. 

If I had to list out reasons to defend more cycling infrastructure though,

1) More cyclists = more congestion.  If everyone used Livingston, passing other cyclists would require moving over into a brick road - brick roads suck for bikes!

2) Right now Robinson is 4 lanes which makes sharing the road with cars very easy as they can pass you.  If it changes to 2-3 lanes, a protected bike lane would be a great asset

3) It's not even about safety.  The bike guys would tell you that taking control of the lane (riding your bike in the near-center of the lane) is the safest thing you can do.  And they'd be right.  But with only 1-2 percent of people cycling for trips like work or errands, you have to go beyond safety and put in infrastructure, ie protected bike lanes, to grow that number to a higher percentage.  That mixture of transportation options has been a top goal for the City for a while now.

• Like 2

I doubt more drivers will switch over to Livingston due to it being a bricked road. If anything, drivers would probably stick with Robinson or default back to Colonial. I'm all for the changes though, the heavy traffic surrounding our small Lake Eola park isn't conducive to a park-like experience. Right now, Robinson feels like a power struggle between pedestrianns trying to access/enjoy the park while motorists are trying to get from point a to point b as quickly as possible.

• Like 2

Must admit, I did not know there were bike lanes on Livingston.  That said, I still think it's the best functional way to slow down Robinson.  Plus, it would add much-needed additional parking to the area

There won't be any room for parking if there are 2 lanes, a turn lane and a protected bike lane.  There are plenty of parking garages around Lake Eola, people's behavior toward being so car-centric needs to change--this can be a start.

• Like 2

I bike on Livingston all the time, and there is never any "bike congestion" that requires me to have any problems whatsoever.

Not saying I wouldn't like a protected bike lane on Robinson.  IMO, the more bike lanes, the better.  In fact, I would propose a protected 2 way bike lane all the way around Lake Eola park on the park side.  Cyclists are not allowed to ride on the park infrastructure, so a dual bike lane all the way around on Robinson, Rosalind, Eola, and Central would be ideal.  There is already a bike lane on Rosalind, but could separate it from traffic, and make it both ways, allowing cyclists to travel around the park southbound without needing to go a block over.  Also, adding another bikeshare station on the northern side of the lake to go along with the one by World of Beer would be cool as well.

What is really more important for Robinson is pedestrian crosswalks to the north.  Crossing over toward Lake Eola Heights from the north side of the park is like taking your life into your hands, with no dedicated intersections or Ped Crosswalks to accomplish the feat. I am a reasonably fit, mid 30s person, and i get freaked out at times crossing 4 lanes when a car turns right and proceeds to accelerate to about 40 mph coming at me.  That is the most pressing issue, IMO.

Eh I'm in the minority here.  The girlfriend and I cross from the lake to Lake Eola Heights daily, and never have the issues people on here describe.  Robinson just doesn't bother me.  I love a good urban environment, but I also know its important for people who don't live here to be able to get in and out efficiently so they come and spend money at our establishments.  Robinson is part of that.

• Like 2

Eh I'm in the minority here.  The girlfriend and I cross from the lake to Lake Eola Heights daily, and never have the issues people on here describe.  Robinson just doesn't bother me.  I love a good urban environment, but I also know its important for people who don't live here to be able to get in and out efficiently so they come and spend money at our establishments.  Robinson is part of that.

Then you'll be really upset when you see what they are doing to Orange Ave from 408 to Michigan!

Then you'll be really upset when you see what they are doing to Orange Ave from 408 to Michigan!

Go on... I remember like a year ago there was an announcement that they were going overhaul it to make it less weavy with all the random parking spots.  Now that is a road that can use a bike lane.  I often cut through the hospital to avoid it all.

• 1 month later...