Downtown Orlando Project Discussion

sunshine

2 hours ago, orlandouprise said:

I love it! Finally we are thinking outside of the box. Great job.

The only suggestion I have is to have a Market area included. Something like the Reading Terminal Market in Philly. Would LOVE that!

This!

Findley Market in Cincinnati, Eastern Market in DC, Pike Place Market in Seattle, and West Side Market in Cleveland all spring to mind, as well.

• Like 1

Looks awfully dark and cramped underneath there...

Screenshot_20151211_185405.png

I wonder how much it will cost to light that entire area 24/7.

I was hoping to see actual buildings in there with retail, restaurants and services. Put side streets, lanes and alleys in between them. Would be a good place for businesses like the hardware store and drugstore many have been wishing for.

2 hours ago, JFW657 said:

Looks awfully dark and cramped underneath there...

Screenshot_20151211_185405.png

I wonder how much it will cost to light that entire area 24/7.

I was hoping to see actual buildings in there with retail, restaurants and services. Put side streets, lanes and alleys in between them. Would be a good place for businesses like the hardware store and drugstore many have been wishing for.

Might be better lit once the bridge is higher. Then again, it will also be more road.

9 hours ago, RedStar25 said:

On the news they said this portion of I-4 will be raised up some. 

Not only are they going to raise it, but widen it as well, I believe.

If you look closely at the concept drawings posted by praha, you can make out the lines that represent the new outer edges of the I-4 overpass above. It looks like the new overpass will extend in most places, all the way out to the sidewalks along Garland and Hughey, so even if they raise it a couple of feet, it will be even darker especially towards the center.

I'm still hoping they end up building a small "Underground Orlando" type thing with streets and cross streets between actual buildings housing various kinds of businesses.

• Like 1

I like the proposal for the bridge district but I too share concerns for the lighting underneath. The ROW is wide enough to allow for some space between the sets of lanes to let light in, and just put glass or another material in the openings that allows light in but keeps water out in the event of rain. What I imagine is 3 long, narrow openings running between EB, toll EB, toll WB, and WB lanes. It could be feasible too.

But I wonder what they're going to do with I-4 between Washington and Colonial. If anything, they should open that space up underneath and put the parking there instead of just filling it all with dirt/grass like it currently is. When this whole I4 project is done, hopefully the blocks running along it on both sides see some serious development as it is currently empty in many areas. Because if this city is going to see more skyscrapers in the future, especially the really tall ones, they should prioritize in buidling along I-4 to really give that urban highway feel when driving through downtown on I-4. The building proposed on the Jefferson/Garland/Washington block, Magic complex, and the Tremont is a good start and exactly what I'm talking about here. Some may disagree but I really want to see that parking lot on Pine/Central/Garland infilled into a really grand and iconic skyscraper, like New York's Empire State Building or Chicago's Willis (Sears) Tower. Hopefully then the FAA loosens their height regulations here to make such a thing possible.

• Like 1