Downtown Orlando Project Discussion

sunshine

The Big Dig was possible because Boston is both THE city in Mass (we have to compete with several msa's within Florida) and it's also the primary city for an entire region (New England). Most importantly, as helpful as John Mica has been on shepherding transit projects through Congress, he has nothing approaching the clout Teddy Kennedy, Tip O'Neill and even Barney Frank had on getting the rest of America to pay for the Big Dig. Suffice it to say Orlando won't be playing in that league of federal largess for a long time, especially since when we had our chance with major bucks for light rail, the idiots on the county commission stuck out their tongues and sent the money to Charlotte.

Edited by spenser1058
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

The Big Dig was possible because Boston is both THE city in Mass (we have to compete with several msa's within Florida) and it's also the primary city for an entire region (New England). Most importantly, as helpful as John Mica has been on shepherding transit projects through Congress, he has nothing approaching the clout Teddy Kennedy, Tip O'Neill and even Barney Frank had on getting the rest of America to pay for the Big Dig. Suffice it to say Orlando won't be playing in that league of federal largess for a long time, especially since when we had our chance with major bucks for light rail, the idiots on the county commission stuck out their tongues and sent the money to Charlotte.

And then when we had our chance to build a shovel ready, federally funded high speed rail system...

No chance in hell this region gets a piggy bank to build something "iconic".

• Like 2

Update on the new lift station on the corner of South St and S Mills Ave (in case you were wondering about our city's sewage):

"This project consists of the reconstruction of pumping stations No. 001 & 007. These stations are on the same site and are capable of pumping to two different City of Orlando wastewater treatment plants; these Stations collect from the City of Orlando downtown sewer area. Stations were rehabed in 1984 but their equipment and controls have reached their useful life causing repairs more often to keep these stations running. These Stations were built in 1950 and structures are very old. The proposed improvements consist of total rehabilitation of these stations with the desire to combine both station into one capable of pumping to both treatment plants."

Lift stations (001, 007) just east of the masonic lodge will be "disassembled and demolished and the site re-vegetated". The old pink building next to the old lift station appears to be some kind of Medicaid building so it probably won't get demolished.

They are now in the permit approval process, but city council must first approve the future land use and zoning amendments for the new location on the corner of E South St and S Mills Ave.

1.thumb.jpg.60c1f60644d767f230fb4f137f472.thumb.jpg.073c8215da25947812d18d34206f5681649c91cb3_OldLiftStation.thumb.jpg.d

On 12/16/2015 at 10:49 AM, mcn11 said:

Walgreens close to finalizing a move to the CBD

I know this has been rumored for a while but OBJ is reporting that Walgreens is close to finalizing a deal to move into the old Valencia building at the NW corner of Church and Orange. I like this space a lot for a drug store as it would serve not only the people who work over her but also the 55 West and Solaire residents. If this gets finalized, it's only a matter of time until CVS moves to South Eola or the North Quarter (if not both). I walk to Publix all the time from 55 West and while it isn't a bad walk, it's a little far to pick up something simple when it's raining or really hot.

Historic Preservation Board staff report - images of signage within: http://www.cityoforlando.net/city-planning/wp-content/uploads/sites/27/2015/12/HPB2015-00233-190-S-Orange.pdf

Bonus points if you can make out the 2 tenant logos (besides Walgreens and FBC Mortgage) on the circled sign

Edited by Jernigan

9 hours ago, Jernigan said:

Historic Preservation Board staff report - images of signage within: http://www.cityoforlando.net/city-planning/wp-content/uploads/sites/27/2015/12/HPB2015-00233-190-S-Orange.pdf

Bonus points if you can make out the 2 tenant logos (besides Walgreens and FBC Mortgage) on the circled sign

Love it - bring back big signs!

5 hours ago, JFW657 said:

I don't know about a sub forum, but there used to be a thread on the subject.

There are Orlando history groups on facebook that are GREAT in terms of the volume and quality of content, but Facebook is an awful medium for delivering this information. I feel like if we had a forum for it, we could dedicate threads to buildings/streets/eras. 

Maybe I'm alone in this but my fascination with urban development extends to urban history. 

• Like 4

7 hours ago, castorvx said:

There are Orlando history groups on facebook that are GREAT in terms of the volume and quality of content, but Facebook is an awful medium for delivering this information. I feel like if we had a forum for it, we could dedicate threads to buildings/streets/eras. 

Maybe I'm alone in this but my fascination with urban development extends to urban history. 

No, you are not alone. Many here love the old Orlando pics. And you are right about FB being an awful medium. The Florida Memory Project is also a great source of old pics, too. But even that is somewhat limited. I bet the Orlando Sentinel has quite an archive of old O-Town pics. Of course, if you want anything from them, you'd have to buy it.

Good idea on the History sub forum, though!!

• Like 1

On December 31, 2015 at 1:40 AM, castorvx said:

It would be nice if we had an "Orlando History" sub-forum. Could we make that happen sometime? Moderators? 

I don't have the ability to create sub-forums but if you'd like to start a history thread, I can pin it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bic said:

I don't have the ability to create sub-forums but if you'd like to start a history thread, I can pin it.

Here are some archived history type threads, maybe they can be unarchived and merged into the existing history thread...

History of Orlando

http://www.urbanplanet.org/forums/topic/11064-history-of-orlando/

Old Orlando

http://www.urbanplanet.org/forums/topic/23982-old-orlando/

Historic Orlando Maps

http://www.urbanplanet.org/forums/topic/12990-historic-orlando-maps/

....some pretty interesting pics in with all the expired links.