Downtown Orlando Project Discussion

sunshine

The real key is inviting those active FB members here and getting it to grow.

Out of curiosity I wandered through some other sections of Urban Planet.  It takes some serious looking to find other parts of the forum that have more than a dozen active posts in the past few years.  We are one of the more active subs.

• Like 1

At the corner of Church and Orange the following chain and/or franchises will open soon:

Dunkin Donuts in the Citrus Center (and another at Central Station)

Wahlburgers in the Suntrust building

Walgreens in the Valencia building

Is this the beginning of a retail resurgence downtown?

Edited by prahaboheme
  • Like 4

Noticed the same thing about that intersection.  Would have thought South Eola would have done it first.  

Good of stuff.  Basically the corner of main and main (or is it Healthy and Happy).  While Central is the center line, Church sports the LYMMO line, bike share and the Downtown information center.

5 hours ago, HankStrong said:

The real key is inviting those active FB members here and getting it to grow.

Out of curiosity I wandered through some other sections of Urban Planet.  It takes some serious looking to find other parts of the forum that have more than a dozen active posts in the past few years.  We are one of the more active subs.

The guys over at skyscrapercity were commenting on how active the Orlando Forum over here is. They created one and it's been doing well. However, we are definitely more on top of what's going on. 

2 hours ago, prahaboheme said:

At the corner of Church and Orange the following chain and/or franchises will open soon:

Dunkin Donuts in the Citrus Center (and another at Central Station)

Wahlburgers in the Suntrust building

Walgreens in the Valencia building

Is this the beginning of a retail resurgence downtown?

There was a review posted to the Yelp page for the Dunkin at Citrus Center just today. Sounds like the doors are open. Guess I'm eating donuts today. 

Agreed with Orlando forum. When I started doing research for my move to D.C., I was surprised the last activity was dated 2012 or something like that. My thoughts were that maybe the bigger cities have some much to do that people tend not to talk in forums? 

Keep it up tho, Im living vicariously through you guys.

Edited by tennis32801

10 hours ago, castorvx said:

I'm unfamiliar with Midtown Miami. Is this sarcasm or was it actually a successful project?

Midtown Miami is commercially successful with lots of chain retail (Target, Ross, Petsmart, etc.) and high-end condos/apartments. However, the community wasn't able to fight off Walmart, which a lot of people are saying will cheapen the developing neighborhood. The final design for the Walmart isn't terrible (as posted by JFW657), but it's still a Walmart.

You can explore Midtown here. The white tents are from Art Basel, slowly being replaced by new condos/apartments. (I recommend turning off the hideous Google Maps 3D...) 

EDIT: That rendering is the liner building that will hide the Walmart. This is the Walmart itself. 

Edited by alex
  • Like 2

I checked out the area on Google Maps street view. The area doesn't look all that special to me. Kinda trashy looking, actually.

This is the existing center with the Target, Ross & Petsmart, etc., looking south towards the Walmart development site....

midtown2.jpg

This is, I think, the parcel at the other end of the block to the south, where the Walmart is supposed to go, looking north towards the Target, et al...

midtown1.jpg

Like I said, kinda trashy looking IMO. I think a Walmart with a modern urban design would be an improvement. It's not like they're proposing one of their typical tacky looking suburban SuperCenters.

I think what may be going on down there is a bit of the usual anti-Walmart snobbery syndrome. I don't think it's so much the design of the building as it is the instinctive reaction for some to turn their noses up at the mere mention of the name Walmart.

Once the place is open for business, the NIMBYs will have forgotten all about their protests and flock there with everyone else.

There was a review posted to the Yelp page for the Dunkin at Citrus Center just today. Sounds like the doors are open. Guess I'm eating donuts today. 

I walked by today around 2pm and they are for sure open and were actually doing a pretty solid business for that time of the day. Saw quite a few people walking down the street with coffee and a few people sitting inside.

On 1/4/2016 at 4:20 PM, Jernigan said:

Permits filed to demo the 1st floor and basement of 100 E Pine for renovation.   This office building was recently sold/crowd funded 

Of interest to us is any renovation and new tenants in the former sports bar space in the first floor. 

Do you have more information on this sale?

What is the "crowd funded" aspect of this?

That place has been one horribly mismanaged sports bar after another. At one point there was a massive 6" rift in the middle of the room caused by the wood floor warping. They just stuck "wet floor" signs on top of it and people would trip over it constantly. 

The interior of that place needs to be totally razed and turned into something more useful.

• Like 1