Downtown Orlando Project Discussion

sunshine

7 minutes ago, spenser1058 said:

In that case, OUC would need to get into the project (and maybe Duke Energy as a tax writeoff). Worst-case scenario would be limited displays in the evening but access during the day. The signs were made to be seen during the day as well, although obviously not as cool.

What about the Historic Ivanhoe building, already owned by City / OUC?  Put a solar array in the field to the south.

ouc.JPG

Edited by veryamusing
  • Like 4

4 hours ago, alex said:

Didn't someone say it was cost-prohibitive to display all the signs because they use so much electricity? 

I wonder if they could replace the neon tubes with some type of LED rope lights?

10688861-led-neon-led-sign-kinlumens.jpg

Restore the original graphics and use the same colors but without the high power requirements.

• Like 4

Wow! That Las Vegas neon museum treats the whole city as a museum! It places the neon signs as public art all over the city! How. Awesome. Would. That. Be.

"The Las Vegas Boulevard Signs Project partners the Neon Museum with the City of Las Vegas to install restored signs from the Museum collection along Las Vegas Boulevard, illuminating downtown Las Vegas. In 1996, the Horse and Rider from the Hacienda Hotel was the first sign restored and installed as public art in Downtown Las Vegas."

Screen Shot 2017-02-15 at 4.49.51 PM.png

2 hours ago, Mark Baratelli said:

Wow! That Las Vegas neon museum treats the whole city as a museum! It places the neon signs as public art all over the city! How. Awesome. Would. That. Be.

"The Las Vegas Boulevard Signs Project partners the Neon Museum with the City of Las Vegas to install restored signs from the Museum collection along Las Vegas Boulevard, illuminating downtown Las Vegas. In 1996, the Horse and Rider from the Hacienda Hotel was the first sign restored and installed as public art in Downtown Las Vegas."

Somehow I don't think lil ol' OrBlando is quite ready for that level of visual stimulation.... :unsure:

My dream is that businesses would sponsor signs, similar to how they did with the See Art Orlando. I'd love to see the signs scattered around Orlando, each in a clear protective shell or in an indoor setting. A few on Church St., a few along Orange. Maybe have a couple in local mall food courts or at I-Drive 360. In my dream world Orange Ave and Church St in downtown would glow with neon signs. I bet you could get many local businesses to get in on it. It can't be that expensive, compared to other large public art initiatives, to keep these things in operating order I think it's so sad that they're just sitting in a warehouse when no one gets to see them. Each deserves to be restored and displayed with pride. 

• Like 1

Our neon was more workaday and the collection includes signs from such wild spots as N Orange Avenue, Colonial Drive and Division St. The signs were generally smaller than anything you'd see in Vegas and represented gas stations, hotels and bakeries. Imagine the Pepsi-Cola sign in NYC or the CITGO sign in Boston (which isn't really neon). Our signs are from the same era as Eola's Centennial Fountain. It represents a time when the Space Age and rapid mobility and the car culture came to Orlando.

Edited by spenser1058
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, spenser1058 said:

Our neon was more workaday and the collection includes signs from such wild spots as N Orange Avenue, Colonial Drive and Division St. The signs were generally smaller than anything you'd see in Vegas and represented gas stations, hotels and bakeries. Imagine the Pepsi-Cola sign in NYC or the CITGO sign in Boston (which isn't really neon). Our signs are from the same era as Eola's Centennial Fountain. It represents a time when the Space Age and rapid mobility and the car culture came to Orlando.

True.

No giant neon cowboys or sexy cowgirls or martini glasses etc, etc.

I think an empty retail storefront or other commercial space somewhere either in or near Central Orlando or I-Drive would be sufficient for the time being. Just get it displayed somewhere. Maybe build a dedicated building down the road.

6 hours ago, JFW657 said:

Seems like a roundabout would've done the trick and looked better there.

Agree.  Or at least a 4 way stop.  I feel like drivers race to traffic lights while focusing on them rather than focusing on pedestrians.  Also feel like Orlando's answer to all traffic situations is add more traffic lights.  

• Like 1

File this under, "How does this happen?!"  or "Turns out it could be worse than another 7-11"

Mama B's on 50/Orange is under contract...

...Magic Pet. A premium pet supply and grooming company.

Price not known at this point.

I'm not sure if I'm underestimating the cash Magic Pet has to throw around or overestimating Mama B's position to negotiate here...

Is it wrong to hope they keep the area clean, keep the grass mowed, and fail within 18 months?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, smileguy said:

As we talk about downtown retail, I think a pet store is important. That being said, I was hoping for an Unleashed by Petco in one of the high-rises. :tw_grimace:

I do agree - I have no issue with a Pet Store. There are quite a few animals downtown. We do have a Woof Gang in Thorton though - I walk over there to get treats and the dog groomed, it's convenient. 

You would think a pet store would try to locate themselves in South Eola or Thornton Park, or near the Constitution Green dog park, where I imagine a lot of the people in the apartments and condos have dogs. But I supposed they wanted the Colonial/Orange lot for high visibility.

It is very likely that they will use the same building. If they demo and build something, then I'll be very optimistic to hope that it is at least a 2-story building built up to the street edge (preferably Orange) with no parking, or at least push the parking to the back.

I was actually hoping that Craig Ustler would have bought that corner lot and completed his hotel.

Edited by metal93
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, metal93 said:

You would think a pet store would try to locate themselves in South Eola or Thornton Park, or near the Constitution Green dog park, where I imagine a lot of the people in the apartments and condos have dogs. But I supposed they wanted the Colonial/Orange lot for high visibility.

It is very likely that they will use the same building. If they demo and build something, then I'll be very optimistic to hope that it is at least a 2-story building built up to the street edge (preferably Orange) with no parking, or at least push the parking to the back.

I was actually hoping that Craig Ustler would have bought that corner lot and completed his hotel.

There is already one over there - not sure having another RIGHT there would make sense.