Downtown Orlando Project Discussion

sunshine

I tried Insomnia last week ... it was pretty good. Will definitely be back to try other varieties. Looking forward to Hubbly Bubbly. The food is pretty average but it'll be nice to have something new on that block.

Is a brewery still going in at the old Mini/Fiat dealership? I thought that business was out per the Bungalower & Sentinel stories a few months ago.

Got it, thanks. I didn't realize Orange County Brewers was a thing but yay beer. [emoji482]

Once these buildouts are complete, the transformation of this one block within the span of a year is going to be nothing short of remarkable from a retail perspective. It makes me wonder if the building came under new ownership or management.

Some updates from Growthspotter:

Red Bell Partners is the firm that is doing all this work on 131 N Orange. 

Burger Craft will be replacing Cafe Annie

Orange County Brewers is still going to be a brewery/pizzeria - opening in May or June

Somehow the building still has a unit left to lease.  I'm not sure where.

Red Bell just bought the old Clean the World building.  Still finalizing plans for it.

Same restraunteur that is doing the brewery/pizzeria at 131 N Orange will be doing a larger brewery and coffee roaster at the CTW building.

1 hour ago, sunshine said:

Beer/pizza/ tacos seem to be the norm in downtown Orlando.

Well, if there are gaps in the availability of other essential cuisine, like burgers, hot dogs, subs and Buffalo wings, somebody at City Hall needs to form an emergency committee to address the situation immediately!!!!

How did we get here, people??????????? :angry:

Actually, when the market works (which, in this case, it does, since they actually are fitting menus to the demographics of downtown), there's no need for City Hall to say anything. That of course changes when wannabe celebrity chefs insist on trying to peddle Reduction of Peruvian Balsamic Sea Bass at $75/plate to college students renting apartments with 4 other roommates or when Thomas Chatmon does nothing to remind retailers about opportunities downtown while they are constantly being wined and dined by the likes of Simon and Unicorp at malls and outdoor lifestyle centers.

Edited by spenser1058
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, Jernigan said:

Some updates from Growthspotter:

Red Bell Partners is the firm that is doing all this work on 131 N Orange. 

Burger Craft will be replacing Cafe Annie

Orange County Brewers is still going to be a brewery/pizzeria - opening in May or June

Somehow the building still has a unit left to lease.  I'm not sure where.

Red Bell just bought the old Clean the World building.  Still finalizing plans for it.

Same restraunteur that is doing the brewery/pizzeria at 131 N Orange will be doing a larger brewery and coffee roaster at the CTW building.

Ok thought it was dumb to back out on doing the space at 131 to do the Clean the World space instead. Longterm smart to do both I'm sure. Short term I'd keep renting out CtW building to Real Thread until the area around there actually has people.

31 minutes ago, spenser1058 said:

Personally, I'd like to pass an ordinance requiring every building downtown to have a barbecue smokehouse attached. I fear if I pushed for that Jack would make me read the entire canon of Ayn Rand novels and attend the next Rick Scott Fanfest *sigh*.

Orlando is far more likely to pass an ordinance requiring every building downtown to have a 7-Eleven attached.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, popsiclebrandon said:

Ok thought it was dumb to back out on doing the space at 131 to do the Clean the World space instead. Longterm smart to do both I'm sure. Short term I'd keep renting out CtW building to Real Thread until the area around there actually has people.

A few years ago there was talk of CtW building a 10 story high rise on that spot but it never turned into anything.

Thornton Park/Eola needs a lot of help. It has been lapped by Mills, Ivanhoe, and Milk Districts. Washington has a bunch of empty buildings (Graffiti landlords are going to have trouble with that one, they are asking new tenant to pay for the outside space as part of the lease and it will sit til they change on that or an idiot agrees to that), Spice will finally be closing (this is a huge opportunity for a good restaurant group to do something great there), 420 and the Sanctuary/101 retail area continue to sit mostly empty, Central/Summerling building has 2 big vacancies, and more inventory will be added with Modera and Citi. I'm hearing another big restaurant in the area might be closing too. 

Mostly a landlord issue, all the tenants in Post/Paramount are doing good business. If rents were lower like the other areas we'd see them full and more interesting concepts move in.

• Like 3