Downtown Orlando Project Discussion

sunshine

57 minutes ago, sunshine said:

They slap some chinese food on some dough wrap and called it asian fusion. Hopefully something actually good go in there. Like a real indian restaurant....

Since this is Orlando, the new restaurant probably serve taco, beers and pizza.

You mean, they made Bao - which is Asian food on some dough. It wasn't Asian Fusion - it was just an Asian Gastropub, which I thought it did very well. The meals I had there were always quite good - especially at the price point. Their bibimbap was also really good. 

There is another Bao place btw - King Bao - which is also quite tasty. 

South Eola just seems like a tough place for a restaurant, unless you're already well established. 

6 hours ago, bqknight said:

This is the restaurant I posted about likely closing a week or two ago. King Bao came in and ate their lunch with a price point that made sense for what bao is. I think they are right that a smaller space would have worked. 

That building is quite empty now.

In summary for those who hit the paywall:

Apparently OMA is using Tavistock Development Company to assist with site selection, forming an LLC named TDC Downtown. A draft zoning verification letter was submitted by CNL Dickenson (who currently owns the gravel lot property) and TDC Downtown to the city indicating a mixed use project with "an understanding that the developer is planning a 450,000-square-foot building with approximately 375 parking spaces for office, residential and retail uses. ...But when contacted by GrowthSpotter, Tavistock Spokeswoman Jessi Blakely said the zoning verification was related to the OMA site selection process. "As part of our agreement with OMA, we are constantly reviewing and conducting due diligence on various pieces of property downtown," she said." A city spokeswoman states they have not received any plans related to a museum project at that site, and that the zoning verification letter is still being revised.

Edited by nite owℓ
Cleaning up typos etc
  • Like 2

34 minutes ago, nite owℓ said:

In summary for those who hit the paywall: ...when contacted by GrowthSpotter, Tavistock Spokeswoman Jessi Blakely said the zoning verification was related to the OMA site selection process. "As part of our agreement with OMA, we are constantly reviewing and conducting due diligence on various pieces of property downtown," she said." A city spokeswoman states they have not received any plans related to a museum project at that site, and that the zoning verification letter is still being revised.

Still, something to hope for.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, jack said:

They would probably buy the entire block though that would be very expensive. 

With Tavistock in the game, I think they'd be looking at a bigger, multi-use development. Tavistock makes their buck and OMA gets a new home... win-win.

I would much prefer that they build out the DPAC south parcel (or even north parcel) to give the OMA some outdoor breathing room.

However, one potential option by using the Orange/Anderson SE parcel would be to humanize Anderson street (similar to Church outside the Amway).  Perhaps this would also allow for potential expansion onto the DPAC parcel across the street, via a bridge, at a later time.  If this is the intention, then I think this plan would be a win and a great public/private partnership.

2 hours ago, Dale said:

Maybe Tavistock can do something that Lincoln can't ?

Tavistock certainly does not shy away from large scale development, and with their deep pockets and local connections, they may be able to help OMA gain a higher regional profile.

It would be nice to see them bring their very successful formula downtown.

Not sure where to post this, so here goes.  This is a pic of the I-4 construction at Lake Ivanhoe.  I also grabbed a screenshot from a video on the I-4 Ultimate website which only seems to show perhaps a retention pond in this place.  What is that solid concrete tower that is higher than I-4 itself?

IMG_2368.JPG

IMG_2365.PNG

• Like 1

Photos of 131 N Orange.   

Suite 101 - Insomnia Cookies - open and delicious

Suite 102 - not leased 

Suite 103 - Hubbly Bubbly - sign up but still is a mess inside 

Suite 104 - Old Cafe Annie, will be a Burger Craft - currently empty with a Stop Work Order sticker (no picture)

Suite 105 - Wells Fargo - looks like they will be ready to open many accounts for you soon

Suite 106 - Orange County Brewers - a lot of work going on inside 

IMG_0594.JPG

IMG_0595.JPG

IMG_0596.JPG

IMG_0597.JPG

IMG_0600.JPG

IMG_0601.JPG

IMG_0604.JPG

Edited by Jernigan
  • Like 4

Isn't the SE corner of Orange and Anderson where the CNL III garage was proposed? It's great that OMA might finally be coming downtown but I was really hoping for them to go either the SE corner of Orange and South or near/within Lake Eola Park.

Any word on the hotel proposal on Magnolia and Anderson? If the entire block of Orange, Anderson, Magnolia, and 408 is torn down, that could mean some kind of hotel/parking/OMA development going there, right? If OMA is indeed building on that site, then it'd be really cool to see if they could do an outdoor art exhibit underneath the 408, and even going up to the shore of Lake Lucerne, maybe build a deck out there or something. That area underneath the 408 is underutilized and has potential, it can become another bridge district, an art-based one to complement the more recreational-based one proposed under I-4.