Downtown Orlando Project Discussion

sunshine

1 hour ago, Jernigan said:

1 N Orange would make a lot of sense for CVS.   

Agreed but I think an even better location would be in Creative Village or closer to the LYNX Central Station. Built as part of the first floor of a multistory mixed use building of course, as standalone CVS stores are rather anti-urban.

Before Ace Cafe came along, I imagined the old Harry P Leu building would have been a good candidate to be renovated as a pharmacy.

20 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

Darn! There goes the plaza in front of Seacoast Bank! (wonder if it will be as ugly as the CVS at Mills/50 *sigh*)

They should ditch the plaza fronting Seacoast Bank, and build a two story addition with a two story CVS ala the Walgreens in The Wrigley Bldg and near Union Square in SF.

I had a chance to meet Harry Leu when he was still active in Junior Achievement back in my high school days (yep, I was a total nerd). He was a great man, still spry in his 80's and told me great tales about his house (at Leu Gardens, which his family donated to the City), including its days owned by the Mizell family (infamous for the Mizell-Barber feud in OC way back when).

Edited by spenser1058

I believe this was posted a bit ago but Burger Craft is planning on opening in June, next to the new Wells Fargo and Hubbly Bubbly (where the FIAt dealership was). 

http://www.bizjournals.com/orlando/news/2017/05/02/locally-sourced-burger-bar-cooks-up-expansion.html

I read about Burger Craft but had no idea that it's from the same people who did Pine 22. I LOVED Pine 22 but as the article stated, the spot was too big for the concept. YUM!

• Like 3

15 hours ago, bqknight said:

I believe this was posted a bit ago but Burger Craft is planning on opening in June, next to the new Wells Fargo and Hubbly Bubbly (where the FIAt dealership was). 

http://www.bizjournals.com/orlando/news/2017/05/02/locally-sourced-burger-bar-cooks-up-expansion.html

I read about Burger Craft but had no idea that it's from the same people who did Pine 22. I LOVED Pine 22 but as the article stated, the spot was too big for the concept. YUM!

Nice! I was sad to see Spice Burgr go, but this helps a little. 

16 hours ago, bqknight said:

Red Mug has been split in half and their menu has changed. A Wynwood, Miami based Poke place will be opening in the other half. 

http://www.thedailycity.com/2017/05/downtown-orlando-getting-wynwood-miami.html

Didn't think they would split Red Mug but figured it was going to come to Orlando since same family owns it.

5 hours ago, metal93 said:

That's awesome! First the Walgreens and now Ace, with hopefully more to come. I've always liked big neon signs and am glad they're making a comeback.

Robert Stern, architect behind the UCF downtown campus and the master plan for Celebration (among hundreds of other projects) is a major advocate for signs of varying shapes and sizes.  When new urbanism was in fashion, he spoke about the need for this in any urban environment.  It seems silly but if you think back to the 80s/90s, the art of the sign was all but lost in favor of uniformity in style and design. Most cities inacted ordiances to restrict signs. Cities are still recovering from these policies.

Take a walk through Celebration town center today to see Stern's vision in practice. In 1994, when Celebration debuted, it was not a typical practice in urban planning circles. I heard him speak some years ago about the resistance architects experienced in those days to retro-style signage (among other stylistic embellishments to the urban environment).

Glad we seem to be moving beyond those days. The city of Orlando even granted the developer behind Walgreens to get that sign back up there. 

4 hours ago, JFW657 said:

Do you know which sign shop is that from? 

No I don't - I've been following the ace Cafe Facebook page because they have been chronicalling the restoration of the Leu building. This is a screenshot from a video posted there.

Update: Don Bell Signs

Edited by prahaboheme
  • Like 3

Orlando's Harper Neon was one of the prominent firms in the sign business when neon was at its peak and Bob Galler one of the great artists of the craft.

Here's a profile by Joy Wallace Dickinson from 2007 in the Sentinel:

http://articles.orlandosentinel.com/2007-05-28/news/SIGNMAN28_1_galler-neon-orlando

Also, some pics of vintage Orlando neon from the Morse collection:

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/os-pictures-morse-museums-vintage-neon-sign-collection-20150116-photogallery.html

Edited by spenser1058
  • Like 2