Downtown Orlando Project Discussion

sunshine

3 minutes ago, codypet said:

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/business/os-orlando-sentinel-gatehouse-printing-20170607-story.html

There goes the Sentinel Plant.  If they decide to move the newsroom somewhere else which I think was the plan, they'll have two whole blocks to redevelop.

I think removing dead tree production makes sense (I also think newspaper delivery in the 21st century is kind of ridiculous - I think it was Michael Kinsley who once wrote an amazing column about all that's required for delivery to work 7 days a week and the dizzying waste of resources for it to happen.)

Having said that, the Sentinel's newsroom belongs downtown. The coverage of local politics has been decimated by budget cuts and, unlike national news, there aren't a plethora of alternatives to do the hardhitting analysis we used to get from reporters like Harry Straight.

Cox banished the AJC to the 'burbs in Atlanta and I still don't know many folks pleased with the outcome. With the Sentinel being such a small cog for Tribune Publications (although something of a cash cow over the years) , our fate is likely even worse..

• Like 2

22 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

A little more history on Jax from Scott Joseph:

https://www.scottjosephorlando.com/news/3940-jax-fifth-avenue-taking-over-baoery-cityfish-space

Craig Ustler declares it "the right fit". As for me, I still miss the meatloaf at the old Central City Market in that space.

Ah yes, the meatloaf in wine sauce.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jernigan said:

According to GS, internal demo of the old OPD HQ has begun and full demo in July.

You can see on it's north face, there are sections of wall removed on two successive floors, like two big squares.  I figured it was done so that they could push stuff out into ramps or elevating machinery instead of the slow elevators.

Colonial widening project to tie into the Ultimate I-4 project started today.  They fenced off the easement adjacent to Steelhouse west of Orange to the I-4 project and will begin demo of the curb/sidewalks, and grassy/landscaped areas to accommodate the new turn lanes into I-4.  This corner will have a lot of construction on it soon between I-4, Colonial Expansion, and the Pedestrian Bridge! Not exactly looking forward to it, LOL. 

• Like 3

On 6/9/2017 at 11:22 AM, Jernigan said:

According to GS, internal demo of the old OPD HQ has begun and full demo in July.

While the recent GS article didn't specify any timeline for redevelopment, I ran into a contractor today on the project and he said they expect to break ground at the beginning of 2018.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, sunshine said:

So the Magic is going to build entire complex in one phase? There are not much news from this.

Personally...I think that "one phase vs two" is the time delay they've been needing to keep "momentum" going (whatever momentum that may be) for the project even though they don't have any leasing commitments or financing in place to build even one phase of a two phase project.  They don't have a hotel partner, I guarantee you.  And they don't have any leasing commitments for their office building either I guarantee you. 

They don't have anything.  Think about it.  Tremont has a big office component and have they even begun site work yet?  No.  Not to slam them, but, I'm just irritated that they kicked out all those tenants and nothing has been done- for over a year now, maybe more.  Yeah, I feel the same way towards Artegon now because they haven't done anything yet either and I thought they would.

So, I personally don't think one phase construction is likely even now b/c they would have to commit too much $$$ too fast; they would need a hotel operator (flag), and leases other than their own to get financing or partial financing for construction.  Universal's Wet n Wild conversion will be well on it's way or done before this is.

Ha, I don't think I have ever heard of something like that happening. I never had a problem with the Aldi I used to shop at down in Bradenton area. Probably a lot depends on the individual location and staff.  Granted, Publix seems like their customer service overall is way better, but quite frankly, when I go grocery shopping, I know exactly what I want usually and just try to get through the store as quickly as possible with nobody bothering me.  I just loved Aldi being so much cheaper. You could take the money you saved from that and order local organic meat, eggs, and produce from a farm if you wanted to. That was awesome. 

9 hours ago, codypet said:

Anyone see Suntrust has 4 big LED multicolor spotlights lighting up the top of the tower changing color?  IMO it seems tacked on and doesn't work with all the other existing lighting.  Same with the new lights on BOA.

I saw during an OCSC game, my thought was that they were rotating due to Pride Month. I like the addition of color but it should stick to one theme per night. not rotate. 

Frank & Steins downtown is closing - temporarily. They will be reopening as a Food Hall. Gnarly Barley, Da Kine Poke and Anthony's Pizza will each have a counter in the space once they reopen. 

They will continue to have a large selection of craft beers on tap. 

This is a good thing IMO. 

• Like 3

The servers are staying. Pete the owner told me they're re-training the kitchen staff to serve his poke menu and adding some bigger name local bartenders. The whole theming is going to be nice, it reminded me of the Magnolia Market concept from Chip and Joanne Gaines on Fixer Upper. haha the name's even similar. 

The late-night service aspect is cool too, especially coupled with the grab-and-go service they'll provide and growlers and all that. 

• Like 3

http://www.wftv.com/news/local/womens-homeless-shelter-closing-down-after-two-decades-operating-in-orlando/542858361 

WFTV is reporting that the Women's homeless shelter (WRCC) at 50 and Magnolia is shutting down, which might open up another opportunity for a mid-rise along that stretch, adjacent the Sentinel property.  I wouldn't mind if someone fixed the existing buildings up a little and turned them into apartments. We need more non-luxury rentals in the area!

• Like 3

I've never seen any of those buildings up close as they're tucked away nicely from Colonial. I know at least some of the structures have been there a long time - I wonder if any are architecturally significant? 

I would hate for it to be like Sunland Hospital- something whose significance and beauty (great Deco silhouette) we didn't know and lost in almost complete ignorance.

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, orange87 said:

This is subscriber content. Could someone tell me which towers they're talking about in this article?

http://www.bizjournals.com/orlando/news/2017/06/29/plans-for-2-downtown-orlando-towers-fade-away.html

I've got the same question.  On my app, the image looks like an aerial view of Eola which may be depicting that controversial tower proposal for the corner of Rosalind & Central on the park side.

17 minutes ago, jrs2 said:

I've got the same question.  On my app, the image looks like an aerial view of Eola which may be depicting that controversial tower proposal for the corner of Rosalind & Central on the park side.

I hope you're right. No matter how long it takes, that parcel needs to be part of the park. It's not like there's a shortage of space downtown for as many buildings as you want.

• Like 2