Downtown Orlando Project Discussion

sunshine

12 hours ago, orange87 said:

Beyond ridiculous. I'm sorry, but anybody who thinks Skyhouse is amazing yet Suntrust is bad can't be taken seriously.

I'm assuming that you are to be "taken seriously" then, right?  Let's break it down:

"Amazing":

I never stated that Skyhouse was "amazing?"

"Taken seriously":  

Well, I never stated that Skyhouse was "amazing," so your statement about not being "taken seriously" wouldn't apply to me anyway.  So, who would it apply to?  See below:

There's an actual architect that Novarre hired to design Skyhouse, and an architectural review board at The City of Orlando that reviewed the design before approving it.  So, if there's anyone to not be taken seriously on Skyhouse, it's those two entities involved in it's design and approval.  But not just in Orlando, though, but architectural review boards in all those other cities where this design was also approved and a similar tower built by Novarre. 

Suntrust:

Do you really believe that a peach and aqua colored highrise is acceptable for a downtown?  Peach and Aqua?  That's not even acceptable in Miami.

This isn't the Miami Vice- 1980's anymore either.  Those outdated tacky Florida trends are over.  Why do you think Pointe Orlando was re-imagined 10 years ago?

Suntrust is distinctive.  I give you that.  Distinctively tacky.  And to think that Tradition Towers was going to incorporate the same basic color scheme to compliment Suntrust.  Modera's color scheme is so much better than peach and aqua.

And another thing... Why did the boom produce so many towers and unbuilt proposals with color schemes very different from Suntrust?  Because they knew. 

Edited by jrs2
  • Like 1

Just now, jrs2 said:

I'm assuming that you are to be "taken seriously" then, right?  Let's break it down:

"Amazing":

I never stated that Skyhouse was "amazing?"

"Taken seriously":  

Well, I never stated that Skyhouse was "amazing," so your statement about not being "taken seriously" wouldn't apply to me anyway, even though you wanted it to.  So, who would it apply to?  See below:

There's an actual architect that Novarre hired to design Skyhouse, and an architectural review board at The City of Orlando that reviewed the design before approving it.  So, if there's anyone to not be taken seriously on Skyhouse, it's those two entities involved in it's design and approval.  But not just in Orlando, though, but architectural review boards in all those other cities where this design was also approved and a similar tower built by Novarre. 

Yeah. I like buildings that don't look like they're still under construction.

1 minute ago, jrs2 said:

Suntrust:

Do you really believe that a peach and aqua colored highrise is acceptable for a downtown?  Peach and Aqua?  That's not even acceptable in Miami.

This isn't the Miami Vice- 1980's anymore either.  Those outdated tacky Florida trends are over.  They died with grunge.  Why do you think Pointe Orlando was re-imagined 10 years ago?

Suntrust is distinctive.  I give you that.  Distinctively tacky.  And to think that Tradition Towers was going to incorporate the same basic color scheme to compliment Suntrust.  Modera's color scheme is so much better than peach and aqua.

And another thing... Why did the boom produce so many towers and unbuilt proposals with color schemes very different from Suntrust?  Because they knew. 

You must be color blind then. Suntrust's colors look like stone/concrete and oxidized copper, not peach and aqua.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, JFW657 said:

Orlando should strive to become the first city in the country (or the world for that matter) to have a 7 Eleven on the top floor of a high rise. 

A 7 Eleven penthouse if you will.

What the heck. Put a brise soleil up there too.

As long as there is a homeless shelter on the ground floor in lieu of retail space. 

• Like 2

I partially agree with jrs2 re: SunTrust. 

I've always thought the four pyramids were goofy looking and from the north or south at a distance, they make the building look like it's wearing one of those "Jughead" style caps that used to be portrayed in comic books back in the 50's.

Jughead.jpg

Other than that, I like everything else about it.

Love the colors and that center glass wall on the east and west facades really makes the building. I especially like the way they made it a little bit convex on the top inset section.

To each his own.

Edited by JFW657
  • Like 3

23 minutes ago, orange87 said:

You must be color blind then. Suntrust's colors look like stone/concrete and oxidized copper, not peach and aqua.

I think I recall the two main colors being referred to as rose and teal back when it was first announced back in the 80's. Not sure what color that top, lighter inset section is.

• Like 1

7th and 11th floors would be epic.

On a note about convenience stores, anyone who has been to Japan has been to a Family Mart.  No joke, there are more Family Mart stores per block in the big cities than Starbucks in Seattle & Portland downtowns.  It's insane.  I was in downtown Tokyo and could see 7 FM stores from my spot waiting to cross the street.  I'm not talking like I could vaguely, somewhere randomly way down the street POSSIBLY see a sign.  I'm talking about confirmed within 2 blocks either direction.  One of those blocks had one on each end and one in the middle.  Three stores on the same side.

Plus they play their jingle for you every single time someone walks in.  It must drive the workers absolutely crazy.  If you are in the store 5-7 minutes, you will hear it several dozen times.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, orange87 said:

I liked your post because I like your spirit.  And I see your point about looking like it's still u/c (Skyhouse). 

It's all good.  Teal & rose as JFW657 stated.  I used to say the same thing, though, about oxidized copper, to make myself like it more...

My main point is that I would have rather seen something more "northern" looking or even like Centrust/ BOA (which would be pushing it).  Spenser1058 had a great historical background on it and DuPont (BOA).

It does light up nice at night, though.

• Like 2

1cd60089b9e319230fb42c0b6c495fbe.jpg

Seriously?
Yes, agreed, Skyhouse Is underwhelming. Totally agree it should be taller. But it looks like a building that was designed by an actual designer while BOA to me looks exactly like a building I would have drawn as a kindergartener. It resembles stacks of cinder blocks, unpainted ones at that. I really don't get what you guys see in it.

As for SunTrust. I find the colors a little silly too. I don't hold it anywhere near the same disdain as BOA. To me it just comes off looking dated, which I'm okay with, because I appreciate the attempt. But for me there isn't an excuse for turning 5 year-old's two-dimensional scribble into a giant (Orlando standards) office building.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Nick@Night said:

1cd60089b9e319230fb42c0b6c495fbe.jpg

Seriously?
Yes, agreed, Skyhouse Is underwhelming. Totally agree it should be taller. But it looks like a building that was designed by an actual designer while BOA to me looks exactly like a building I would have drawn as a kindergartener. It resembles stacks of cinder blocks, unpainted ones at that. I really don't get what you guys see in it.

As for SunTrust. I find the colors a little silly too. I don't hold it anywhere near the same disdain as BOA. To me it just comes off looking dated, which I'm okay with, because I appreciate the attempt. But for me there isn't an excuse for turning 5 year-old's two-dimensional scribble into a giant (Orlando standards) office building.

To each his own as they say.

Aside from the pyramids on the roof of SunTrust, I think the building looks just fine. Including the colors.

Tampa has a similarly colored building, for what it's worth.

Buildings do tend to reflect the times and the era in which they were built. That's just the way it is. They can't go back every decade or so and strip and replace the exteriors just to keep them current looking.

As for BOA, I never was a huge fan of the stepped sections either, as I'd have preferred a more sleek, narrow tower that extended upward farther. But I don't think it looks amateurish or child like either. It's an attractive and dignified looking building that would grace the skyline of any city it might have appeared in. It also won a design award from the AIA in 1988.

Sounds to me like you're going out of your way to be overly critical. 

To each his own as they say.
Aside from the pyramids on the roof of SunTrust, I think the building looks just fine. Including the colors.
Tampa has a similarly colored building, for what it's worth.
Buildings do tend to reflect the times and the era in which they were built. That's just the way it is. They can't go back every decade or so and strip and replace the exteriors just to keep them current looking.
As for BOA, I never was a huge fan of the stepped sections either, as I'd have preferred a more sleek, narrow tower that extended upward farther. But I don't think it looks amateurish or child like either. It's an attractive and dignified looking building that would grace the skyline of any city it might have appeared in. It also won a design award from the AIA in 1988.
Sounds to me like you're going out of your way to be overly critical. 

Obviously I'm in the minority here. But trust me, I'm not going out of my way to be overly critical. I'm simply saying what has always been in my mind. I was genuinely surprised to read peoples opinion of the building.

286bca98e937ade28179df8264035a7c.jpg

That's the view from my kitchen, i obviously wasn't bothered enough by it to forgo buying this condo. However, it did make me think twice lol [emoji6]

• Like 3

Obviously I'm in the minority here. But trust me, I'm not going out of my way to be overly critical. I'm simply saying what has always been in my mind. I was genuinely surprised to read peoples opinion of the building.

That's the view from my kitchen, i obviously wasn't bothered enough by it to forgo buying this condo. However, it did make me think twice lol emoji6.png

The BOA (and downtown) looks so sad by itself from that vantage point :(

• Like 1

That's the view from my kitchen, i obviously wasn't bothered enough by it to forgo buying this condo. However, it did make me think twice lol emoji6.png

I would've been more concerned with the fact that your condo is apparently tilted up on its side, than anything else!!!!... :o

Must make walking across the room quite difficult. :D

• Like 4

^^

You guys kill me!  LMFAO.

DuPont- It reminded me of One South Wacker in Chicago with the step-backs, even though not all glass clad.  For the '80's, I thought it was a good direction to go in tower-wise in Orlando.  Prior to that, CNA dominated the skyline.  But then the Copper Whopper was built which was a little odd in design b/c it is not a true octagon; it looked odd from aerial Eyewitness News helicopter shots of downtown.  And that's when it was CNA and Copper Whopper as the two tallest.  And then you had, among others the TV 13 building at a 45 degree angle, a very "Florida" building (as was CNA); those styles were seen in Miami, Daytona, Jax, and a few other cities in Florida.  That's what I mean by DuPont being a good direction to go in. 

It's just so weird about the fate of DuPont (family), the fate of Sunbank (merger and uncertainty about it's completion), the fate of the Tradition Towers developer (Walsh), Kuhn with his post-Plaza plans for Orlando, The Orlando Place developer Kalivritenos, etc.  It's like every time Orlando has tried to make a major mark, some misfortune has hit the companies or developers involved.  Kuhn had a Jax project that didn't sell well and as a result, he ditched the Washington St. garage site proposal that included the bowling alley (he should've stuck with Orlando developments before going elsewhere).  Walsh took the easy way out.  The Orlando Place guy embezzled funds from investors and split (Lexington developer).  It's just one horror story after another.  I'm sure there are more...

2 hours ago, jrs2 said:

^^

You guys kill me!  LMFAO.

DuPont- It reminded me of One South Wacker in Chicago with the step-backs, even though not all glass clad.  For the '80's, I thought it was a good direction to go in tower-wise in Orlando.  Prior to that, CNA dominated the skyline.  But then the Copper Whopper was built which was a little odd in design b/c it is not a true octagon; it looked odd from aerial Eyewitness News helicopter shots of downtown.  And that's when it was CNA and Copper Whopper as the two tallest.  And then you had, among others the TV 13 building at a 45 degree angle, a very "Florida" building (as was CNA); those styles were seen in Miami, Daytona, Jax, and a few other cities in Florida.  That's what I mean by DuPont being a good direction to go in. 

It's just so weird about the fate of DuPont (family), the fate of Sunbank (merger and uncertainty about it's completion), the fate of the Tradition Towers developer (Walsh), Kuhn with his post-Plaza plans for Orlando, The Orlando Place developer Kalivritenos, etc.  It's like every time Orlando has tried to make a major mark, some misfortune has hit the companies or developers involved.  Kuhn had a Jax project that didn't sell well and as a result, he ditched the Washington St. garage site proposal that included the bowling alley (he should've stuck with Orlando developments before going elsewhere).  Walsh took the easy way out.  The Orlando Place guy embezzled funds from investors and split (Lexington developer).  It's just one horror story after another.  I'm sure there are more...

Lets not forget Lou Pearlmans makeover of Church Street!

• Like 1