Downtown Orlando Project Discussion

sunshine

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry to be so vague in my original post. I remember seeing previously in this thread someone mentioning the Catholic Diocese wanted to tear down the old bank teller drive-thru and resurface the entire lot. My coworker said the Diocese is moving forward with that project AND tearing down the gas station on the NE corner and paving over that for additional parking.

I just checked OCPA and see the Diocese doesn't own the old gas station lot, so I think she may have misheard for that corner specifically (unless the church is going to sublease it for parking or something).

Here's your bonus demo news for the day: the sad little hut of a building just south of BOA Center is being torn down as of today. Guess that is the other structure that was mentioned by the church. When I left work, about 2/3 of it was down with the south wall still standing.

The old bank teller awning is completely down and most of the debris removed.
  • Like 2

48 minutes ago, orlandoguy said:

Here's your bonus demo news for the day: the sad little hut of a building just south of BOA Center is being torn down as of today. Guess that is the other structure that was mentioned by the church. When I left work, about 2/3 of it was down with the south wall still standing.

is that land where there was a recent proposal for a residential low-rise?

59 minutes ago, orlandoguy said:

Is that the long, narrow building with the red brick facing Orange Ave?

is that land where there was a recent proposal for a residential low-rise?

I'm not sure about this. I doubt it was slated for a residential building since it's owned by St James. But someone else may know better than me.
Is that the long, narrow building with the red brick facing Orange Ave?

Yes.

Well, not anymore. [emoji6]
  • Like 1

Growthspotter is reporting that they are trying to build a Cambria Suites on the corner of Washington and Rosalind, across from Metropolitan. This would be a welcome addition, as that area is basically nothing now. 8 stories, parking garage as well. Choice is on the "lower end" of hotel brands but their Cambria flag seems to be a step in the right direction. 

• Like 2

We've been hearing about this one since God was a child. Wonder if it has legs this time? I haven't seen lodging occupancy levels for downtown lately and the current hoteliers tend to go into an existential swoon when a new property is announced. Hopefully, all the activity in the core warrants another property. OTOH, when you have our trendy TraveLodge a block away, how could you go anywhere else?

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, alex said:

If we could get Capital Plaza Three to break ground across from Modera, we'd have a nice stretch of continuous development and park space. On top of that, making Rosalind a two-way street again would be a huge step towards expanding the "downtown" feeling of Orange Ave. 

cap3.thumb.png.d1be8ccdc945074f3eab96959e5163f8.png

that Cambria Suites proposal died a couple of years back, right?

2 hours ago, bqknight said:

Growthspotter is reporting that they are trying to build a Cambria Suites on the corner of Washington and Rosalind, across from Metropolitan. This would be a welcome addition, as that area is basically nothing now. 8 stories, parking garage as well. Choice is on the "lower end" of hotel brands but their Cambria flag seems to be a step in the right direction. 

are they trying to resurrect the original proposal from a few years ago?

53 minutes ago, codypet said:

I hope they plan on taking the building behind the church on Wall St because that hotel is going to be dealing with a lot of crap if that building stays.

The church owns that building but it does seem to be a problem, especially on Wednesdays. 

This rendering looks a million times better.

Edited by jack
  • Like 2

That 2-story building between the church and the AT&T building? Wouldn't miss that one if it goes. I'm liking the new Cambria proposal, but I would go taller since it's facing Lake Eola. If it happens, I hope it encourages development on the south part of the block, the state of Wall St. there is kind of unfortunate especially with the library's loading docks facing it, in what could otherwise be a semi-pedestrianized street to complement the Wall St. at Orange.

This is a great looking building.  I too would go taller if $$$ permitted.  It really does look like something that you might see in Miami Beach.  It's very dynamic.  If this gets built, this plus Modera would exponentially improve the Rosalind corridor.

looks fantastic! I just wish the front of the hotel was not setback. I would of like to have seen it flush with the base to create more of a street canyon...but now im just nit-picking. Its a 1000x better than old proposal.

6 hours ago, popsiclebrandon said:

Be nice to have it cover up the awful ATT building behind it completely. 

isnt it getting re-done in glass anyways?