Downtown Orlando Project Discussion

From Lake Ivanhoe south to SODO, there are around 36 pools downtown in multifamily projects, hotels, condo towers, etc.  In case anyone cares... 

Throw in Mills Park & The Ivy, and that's about 39 pools from FH South to SODO.  To me, that's lot for this type and size of a downtown.

• Replies 8.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I think Lake Eola Park is one of the best urban parks in the country.  Today.  Haven't been to Orlando in 10 years or more and there is a lot more life downtown and around this park.  Great to see an

My friend grabbed some shots of downtown while flying into ORL. This one really shows how the I-4/408 interchange is coming along.  Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

That was in the latest ARB report as well: http://www.cityoforlando.net/city-planning/wp-content/uploads/sites/27/2018/03/ARB2017-10009reportMarch2018.pdf Here is the new rendering:  A

Posted Images

Sorry to be so vague in my original post. I remember seeing previously in this thread someone mentioning the Catholic Diocese wanted to tear down the old bank teller drive-thru and resurface the entire lot. My coworker said the Diocese is moving forward with that project AND tearing down the gas station on the NE corner and paving over that for additional parking.

I just checked OCPA and see the Diocese doesn't own the old gas station lot, so I think she may have misheard for that corner specifically (unless the church is going to sublease it for parking or something).

• Like 2
5 hours ago, jrs2 said:

From Lake Ivanhoe south to SODO, there are around 36 pools downtown in multifamily projects, hotels, condo towers, etc.  In case anyone cares... 

Throw in Mills Park & The Ivy, and that's about 39 pools from FH South to SODO.  To me, that's lot for this type and size of a downtown.

This seems like a non-sequitur, but I'll bite.  Why?  I didn't even consider an apartment if it didn't have a pool.  We have lots of housing in the urban core.

16 hours ago, AndyPok1 said:

This seems like a non-sequitur, but I'll bite.  Why?  I didn't even consider an apartment if it didn't have a pool.  We have lots of housing in the urban core.

Yay!  Someone bit!

Exactly right.  Back when The Waverly was being pondered, before the late '90's, there was maybe 3 pools downtown; maybe 4.  Since then, it has sprung like Ron Jeremy to 39 or more. 

It's an indicator.  You expect to see this at beach condos everywhere you go; not so much in an inland city's downtown that isn't on any kind of navigable waterway.

I think that's pretty impressive and is tell tale on the residential dynamic downtown.

Also, included in that statistic, there are 5 rooftop pools downtown.  City of Miami has 9.  Tampa has 1.  I'm not talking parking pedestals.  That's also an indicator of the type of structures being built.

• 2 weeks later...
Sorry to be so vague in my original post. I remember seeing previously in this thread someone mentioning the Catholic Diocese wanted to tear down the old bank teller drive-thru and resurface the entire lot. My coworker said the Diocese is moving forward with that project AND tearing down the gas station on the NE corner and paving over that for additional parking.

I just checked OCPA and see the Diocese doesn't own the old gas station lot, so I think she may have misheard for that corner specifically (unless the church is going to sublease it for parking or something).

Here's your bonus demo news for the day: the sad little hut of a building just south of BOA Center is being torn down as of today. Guess that is the other structure that was mentioned by the church. When I left work, about 2/3 of it was down with the south wall still standing.

The old bank teller awning is completely down and most of the debris removed.
  • Like 2
48 minutes ago, orlandoguy said:

Here's your bonus demo news for the day: the sad little hut of a building just south of BOA Center is being torn down as of today. Guess that is the other structure that was mentioned by the church. When I left work, about 2/3 of it was down with the south wall still standing.

is that land where there was a recent proposal for a residential low-rise?

59 minutes ago, orlandoguy said:

Is that the long, narrow building with the red brick facing Orange Ave?

is that land where there was a recent proposal for a residential low-rise?

I'm not sure about this. I doubt it was slated for a residential building since it's owned by St James. But someone else may know better than me.
Is that the long, narrow building with the red brick facing Orange Ave?

Yes.

Well, not anymore.
  • Like 1

Growthspotter is reporting that they are trying to build a Cambria Suites on the corner of Washington and Rosalind, across from Metropolitan. This would be a welcome addition, as that area is basically nothing now. 8 stories, parking garage as well. Choice is on the "lower end" of hotel brands but their Cambria flag seems to be a step in the right direction. 

• Like 2

We've been hearing about this one since God was a child. Wonder if it has legs this time? I haven't seen lodging occupancy levels for downtown lately and the current hoteliers tend to go into an existential swoon when a new property is announced. Hopefully, all the activity in the core warrants another property. OTOH, when you have our trendy TraveLodge a block away, how could you go anywhere else?

• Like 3
15 minutes ago, alex said:

If we could get Capital Plaza Three to break ground across from Modera, we'd have a nice stretch of continuous development and park space. On top of that, making Rosalind a two-way street again would be a huge step towards expanding the "downtown" feeling of Orange Ave. 

cap3.thumb.png.d1be8ccdc945074f3eab96959e5163f8.png

that Cambria Suites proposal died a couple of years back, right?

2 hours ago, bqknight said:

Growthspotter is reporting that they are trying to build a Cambria Suites on the corner of Washington and Rosalind, across from Metropolitan. This would be a welcome addition, as that area is basically nothing now. 8 stories, parking garage as well. Choice is on the "lower end" of hotel brands but their Cambria flag seems to be a step in the right direction. 

are they trying to resurrect the original proposal from a few years ago?