Downtown Orlando Project Discussion

sunshine

Scott Joseph is reporting that a Pho place will be going into where Spice Burger was in the Movie Theater Plaza. Also noted that ONO Poke (where Red Mug was) will NOT be happening. However, he notes that an Asian Restaurant and Wings/Bar Chain is looking at the space. 

• Like 2

On 8/1/2017 at 6:46 PM, orlandoguy said:

Here's your bonus demo news for the day: the sad little hut of a building just south of BOA Center is being torn down as of today. Guess that is the other structure that was mentioned by the church. When I left work, about 2/3 of it was down with the south wall still standing.

The old bank teller awning is completely down and most of the debris removed.

WP_20170731_16_50_07_Panorama.thumb.jpg.d56933d664036746c8d974ee98697d97.jpg

• Like 2

2 hours ago, bqknight said:

Scott Joseph is reporting that a Pho place will be going into where Spice Burger was in the Movie Theater Plaza. Also noted that ONO Poke (where Red Mug was) will NOT be happening. However, he notes that an Asian Restaurant and Wings/Bar Chain is looking at the space. 

I could see a BWW doing well there.

21 hours ago, orlandouprise said:

looks fantastic! I just wish the front of the hotel was not setback. I would of like to have seen it flush with the base to create more of a street canyon..

I'm ok with setting it back a bit!  Narrow sidewalk 

IMG_2889.JPG

• Like 2

On 8/3/2017 at 2:22 PM, Jernigan said:

I'm ok with setting it back a bit!  Narrow sidewalk 

IMG_2889.JPG

I wonder if they'd just eliminate the turning lane and extend the sidewalk out. The renderings seem to suggest this.

i don't mind the setback either, though. There will be some views of the church dome looking south.

Edited by prahaboheme
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, prahaboheme said:

I wonder if they'd just eliminate the turning lane and extend the sidewalk out. The renderings seem to suggest this.

i don't mind the setback either, though. There will be some views of the church dome looking south.

It's been interesting to watch the transformation over the years of Mary Baker Eddy's Boston-centric minimalist Christian Science church into the Greek Orthodox sanctuary it's become. They've been adding more iconography and most recently I've noticed some giltwork along the edges which are fascinating. The church has also been among the leaders in working with the homeless downtown and activities like the annual dive for the cross in Lake Eola are all great additions to the area.

• Like 1

There are good and bad examples in that image, so I would argue that contemporary ≠ contemporary. I think we can diversify, but I personally wouldn't mind if downtown Orlando got every one of those buildings.

Also, I don't remember anyone complaining about the style of Citi Tower, which is essentially the same. If I had to psychoanalyze you all, I would say you're subconsciously fixating on height again... ;-) 

5 minutes ago, alex said:

There are good and bad examples in that image, so I would argue that contemporary ≠ contemporary. I think we can diversify, but I personally wouldn't mind if downtown Orlando got every one of those buildings.

Also, I don't remember anyone complaining about the style of Citi Tower, which is essentially the same. If I had to psychoanalyze you all, I would say you're subconsciously fixating on height again... ;-) 

Shoe box ≠ shoe box.

Some shoe boxes set themselves apart from the other shoe boxes simply by virtue of their height.

Six to eight story shoe boxes resemble and blend in with all the other six to eight story shoe boxes, while high rise boxes literally "stand" apart.

So yes, size does matter.

• Like 2

The Sevens does not look like that, nor does Citi Tower. Much cleaner and no "earth tone" amalgam color palette. I actually don't mind it if done well, but the problem is it usually isn't, looks lazy, and gets VE'd down to cheaper and uglier. I think they should go for simpler and cleaner designs to begin with instead of trying to "church it up" early in the design process and then deciding they don't want to or can't pay for it so make it look like a bad version. Then everybody would complain that they are too bland though. hahaha. 

Edited by dcluley98
  • Like 2

On 8/5/2017 at 4:21 PM, spenser1058 said:

It's been interesting to watch the transformation over the years of Mary Baker Eddy's Boston-centric minimalist Christian Science church into the Greek Orthodox sanctuary it's become. They've been adding more iconography and most recently I've noticed some giltwork along the edges which are fascinating. The church has also been among the leaders in working with the homeless downtown and activities like the annual dive for the cross in Lake Eola are all great additions to the area.

Have you been inside? Totally not what I was expecting. 

On 8/8/2017 at 10:59 AM, JFW657 said:

I am happy to say that I have been critical of that ugly architectural style since its outset.

Not even sure it deserves to be called architecture.

Well, it's mostly wood framing. We can tear them down easily. 

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, Boomer136 said:

Just a quick thing to throw out, I recently read an article and then found more on the trend to go back to wood, but more engineered laminates than straight dimentional. Even +400' buildings are being looked at in europe. 

Is that the type of materials being used here?

I heard about a wood high rise going up in Great Britain and another planned for Portland, Oregon.

America's First Wood High Rise Building to Debut in Portland 

45 minutes ago, JFW657 said:

I heard about a wood high rise going up in Great Britain and another planned for Portland, Oregon.

America's First Wood High Rise Building to Debut in Portland 

wow.  here I go again complaining about the number of trees being sacrificed for a skyscraper in, of all places, the blue city of Portland.

17 hours ago, jrs2 said:

wow.  here I go again complaining about the number of trees being sacrificed for a skyscraper in, of all places, the blue city of Portland.

The idea is that it is more sustainable to build with wood vs steel or concrete. 

• Like 1