Downtown Orlando Project Discussion

sunshine

Here is the MPB Report with lots of renderings: http://www.cityoforlando.net/city-planning/wp-content/uploads/sites/27/2017/09/MPBStaffReport2017-09_ZON2017-00014wAddendum.pdf

Not sure if the rendering you are looking for is in there, but there is a rendering of the courtyard showing a Starbucks, Chipotle, and Max's Phillipino restaurant. Pretty sure those are dummies though, as I haven't heard anything about retail leasing plans and would suspect nothing is in place given the zoning has not been approved yet. There is also a fountain entrance walkway feature and a sculpture. Although they need some more cover over cafe seating (canopy or arcade?) and some real trees instead of palm trees to provide some natural shade. 

MPBStaffReport2017-09_ZON2017-00014wAddendum-16.png

Edited by dcluley98
updated image
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, cwetteland said:

There is a third rendering of the Magnolia Rose that flashes when you go to growthspotter before it goes behind that paywall.  It doesn't show the "artwork" so much, and presents a more urban view.  Has anyone been able to grab that image, or know another source?

This it?

magrose.jpg

• Like 3

On 9/21/2017 at 8:18 PM, orange87 said:

What's the point of the Orlando Biz Journals website anymore? Literally almost every single article is subscriber content now. Who TF is going to spend $100 to read that s***?

At the end of the day, they're a newspaper that's in the business of making money.  But don't cry sour grapes just because you can't view an article without having to fork over the cheddar.

13 minutes ago, jrs2 said:

At the end of the day, they're a newspaper that's in the business of making money.  But don't cry sour grapes just because you can't view an article without having to fork over the cheddar.

It is disappointing. I appreciated all the free stuff we had on the net because of advertising but ad blockers is killing it.

2 hours ago, jrs2 said:

They should do what literally every other news website does. Put a thing on the website that makes you have to disable AdBlock if you want to view their articles. That's a fair trade. They get to generate ad revenue in exchange for being allowed to read their articles. This new business model of theirs is going to fail. They are not going to get enough people to fork over $100 to pay the light bills at that place.

2 hours ago, aent said:

It is disappointing. I appreciated all the free stuff we had on the net because of advertising but ad blockers is killing it.

As I mentioned in a previous post, just put a thing on the website that makes you have to disable AdBlock if you want to view their articles. That's a very reasonable way to generate revenue that most news websites do. I find it highly unreasonable to make 99% of their articles only viewable if you pay $100.

23 minutes ago, JFW657 said:

So how long is the $100 good for?

Is it a one time thing? Annual? Monthly?

Per article? 

It's $100  per year. Which might not seem like a lot because it comes out to only $8.33/month. But you can't pay monthly. You have to pay $100 up front for the year. Doesn't really seem worth it for info that usually can be found for free on other websites.

I think if they had a disable AdBlock option so they could generate ad revenue to offset the cost a little bit, and added a pay monthly option for like $7/month I think that would be a lot better.

Edited by orange87

12 hours ago, orange87 said:

It's $100  per year. Which might not seem like a lot because it comes out to only $8.33/month. But you can't pay monthly. You have to pay $100 up front for the year. Doesn't really seem worth it for info that usually can be found for free on other websites.

I think if they had a disable AdBlock option so they could generate ad revenue to offset the cost a little bit, and added a pay monthly option for like $7/month I think that would be a lot better.

I suppose if one is a realtor or something similar, with some sort of business related interest in knowing what they report, it would be worthwhile. But for the rest of us, who have a more casual observer level of interest in local development issues, and not at the level of income where one hundred dollars is considered spare pocket change, it seems like an unreasonable expenditure to expect people to fork over.

30 minutes ago, JFW657 said:

I suppose if one is a realtor or something similar, with some sort of business related interest in knowing what they report, it would be worthwhile. But for the rest of us, who have a more casual observer level of interest in local development issues, and not at the level of income where one hundred dollars is considered spare pocket change, it seems like an unreasonable expenditure to expect people to fork over.

especially with much of it being press release reporting... we all know a very large percentage of what they report doesn't come true, some of which seems like literal marketing materal to sell a piece of land showcasing the "potential" of it

Edited by aent

18 hours ago, orange87 said:

that's the thing, though, because lately, they have exclusives on these stories and you can't find said article elsewhere.  I've tried.  Other sites usually are Growthspotter, and, used to be Florida Today.  But lately, Florida Today won't even report on stories about Port Canaveral as they used to, if the OBJ has an exclusive on the story.  They've tightened the noose so the "usually" scenario doesn't really exist that much anymore.