Downtown Orlando Project Discussion

2 hours ago, jrs2 said:

At the end of the day, they're a newspaper that's in the business of making money.  But don't cry sour grapes just because you can't view an article without having to fork over the cheddar.

They should do what literally every other news website does. Put a thing on the website that makes you have to disable AdBlock if you want to view their articles. That's a fair trade. They get to generate ad revenue in exchange for being allowed to read their articles. This new business model of theirs is going to fail. They are not going to get enough people to fork over $100 to pay the light bills at that place.

2 hours ago, aent said:

It is disappointing. I appreciated all the free stuff we had on the net because of advertising but ad blockers is killing it.

As I mentioned in a previous post, just put a thing on the website that makes you have to disable AdBlock if you want to view their articles. That's a very reasonable way to generate revenue that most news websites do. I find it highly unreasonable to make 99% of their articles only viewable if you pay $100.

• Replies 8.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

My friend grabbed some shots of downtown while flying into ORL. This one really shows how the I-4/408 interchange is coming along.  Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

I think Lake Eola Park is one of the best urban parks in the country.  Today.  Haven't been to Orlando in 10 years or more and there is a lot more life downtown and around this park.  Great to see an

That was in the latest ARB report as well: http://www.cityoforlando.net/city-planning/wp-content/uploads/sites/27/2018/03/ARB2017-10009reportMarch2018.pdf Here is the new rendering:  A

Posted Images

23 minutes ago, JFW657 said:

So how long is the $100 good for?

Is it a one time thing? Annual? Monthly?

Per article? 

It's $100  per year. Which might not seem like a lot because it comes out to only $8.33/month. But you can't pay monthly. You have to pay $100 up front for the year. Doesn't really seem worth it for info that usually can be found for free on other websites.

I think if they had a disable AdBlock option so they could generate ad revenue to offset the cost a little bit, and added a pay monthly option for like $7/month I think that would be a lot better.

Edited by orange87
12 hours ago, orange87 said:

It's $100  per year. Which might not seem like a lot because it comes out to only $8.33/month. But you can't pay monthly. You have to pay $100 up front for the year. Doesn't really seem worth it for info that usually can be found for free on other websites.

I think if they had a disable AdBlock option so they could generate ad revenue to offset the cost a little bit, and added a pay monthly option for like $7/month I think that would be a lot better.

I suppose if one is a realtor or something similar, with some sort of business related interest in knowing what they report, it would be worthwhile. But for the rest of us, who have a more casual observer level of interest in local development issues, and not at the level of income where one hundred dollars is considered spare pocket change, it seems like an unreasonable expenditure to expect people to fork over.

30 minutes ago, JFW657 said:

I suppose if one is a realtor or something similar, with some sort of business related interest in knowing what they report, it would be worthwhile. But for the rest of us, who have a more casual observer level of interest in local development issues, and not at the level of income where one hundred dollars is considered spare pocket change, it seems like an unreasonable expenditure to expect people to fork over.

especially with much of it being press release reporting... we all know a very large percentage of what they report doesn't come true, some of which seems like literal marketing materal to sell a piece of land showcasing the "potential" of it

Edited by aent
18 hours ago, orange87 said:

that's the thing, though, because lately, they have exclusives on these stories and you can't find said article elsewhere.  I've tried.  Other sites usually are Growthspotter, and, used to be Florida Today.  But lately, Florida Today won't even report on stories about Port Canaveral as they used to, if the OBJ has an exclusive on the story.  They've tightened the noose so the "usually" scenario doesn't really exist that much anymore.

On 9/25/2017 at 3:38 PM, Jernigan said:

Demo permit was submitted for building on 68 S Ivanhoe next to the Doubletree.  Not sure what is there to demo.  

On 9/25/2017 at 3:44 PM, JFW657 said:

A few scraggly trees and a bunch of grass.

It's the historic WDBO building, a small 1947 Art Deco building. It's in a sad state - boarded up and painted a stealthy brown color so it just kind of hides behind overgrown bushes.  It has seen better days.

WDBO_Ivanhoe_Blvd_1.jpg.083283ecfb1452956c5ccc6270f82132.jpg

1 hour ago, XpressEnterprise said:

The OBJ has touted almost every conceivable place to be the ideal spot.  They've done Tupperware, Lake Nona, Neocity in Oceola, and now Creative Village.  We should be a shoe in.

Keep in mind Amazon says $5bn investment, so given that Tremont is $81m were talking something like 50 Tremont Towers, or at least 20 updated and super modernized Sun Banks at $250m a pop.  I'm sure at a minimum we'd have to throw in 24/7 SunRail with an airport spur to any of the above locations.

1 hour ago, cwetteland said:

The OBJ has touted almost every conceivable place to be the ideal spot.  They've done Tupperware, Lake Nona, Neocity in Oceola, and now Creative Village.  We should be a shoe in.

Keep in mind Amazon says $5bn investment, so given that Tremont is $81m were talking something like 50 Tremont Towers, or at least 20 updated and super modernized Sun Banks at $250m a pop.  I'm sure at a minimum we'd have to throw in 24/7 SunRail with an airport spur to any of the above locations.

The article basically says the Orlando Economic Partnerships is putting in a proposal with lots of choices, and listing the incentives each developer is willing to give for the sites. As I kind of guessed before, it almost sounds like they're going to be offering money for building in EACH spot, so if Amazon is willing, they could potentially take one incentive for going in Creative Village, another to Lake Nona for a separate building, with buildings spread throughout the metro, much like, say, UCF is.

Also keep in mind while Amazon is saying $5bn investment, the RFP says over 15 years... the amount of space they're saying for phase 1 is about the amount of space scheduled for Creative Village. Obviously, a LOT can happen over 15 years that changes their plans even if we were to get it... so to keep it real, you're bidding on getting someone who says they will build 1 Suntrust center per year for the next 15 years. Does still sound pretty amazing.

Also, I feel like I shouldn't say anything, lol, but I don't pay for it and stopped getting fresh articles for a while, but I seem to get them after a few weeks. Now the past week I seem to have access to everything immediately. I'm sure I didn't put my credit card info in, just a free account

• Like 1

Did Amazon leave it open that they'd even be interested in multiple sites?  That just seems like a crazy counteroffer if Amazon was looking for an urban campus with transit.  "We can't do that, but here's a great video spot about our regionalism!"

I still think our best pitch is Sand Lake Station.  Land + OIA + Freight + the realistic ability to take frequent transit on Orange Avenue and Sand Lake Road and upgrade it to Bus Rapid Transit or even light rail go connect this intersection with Dowtown, OIA and I Drive with <10 minute frequencies.

• Like 2
10 hours ago, Jernigan said:

Did Amazon leave it open that they'd even be interested in multiple sites?  That just seems like a crazy counteroffer if Amazon was looking for an urban campus with transit.  "We can't do that, but here's a great video spot about our regionalism!"

Yes, they have. They did not say urban campus with transit. Here' Amazon's preference: "Urban or suburban locations with the potential to attract and retain strong technical talent  Communities that think big and creatively when considering locations and real estate options"

This is Amazon's requirements:

Proximity to population center 30 Miles

Proximity to International airport Within approx. 45 Minutes

Proximity to major highways and arterial roads Not more than 1-2 Miles

Close to major arterial roads to provide optimal access

Access to mass transit At site

Direct access to rail, train, subway/metro, bus routes

Building Requirements Initial Square Foot Requirement 500,000+ Sq. Ft. Phase I (2019)

Total Square Foot Requirement Up to 8,000,000 Sq. Ft. Beyond 2027

Edited by aent

I worry about the requirement for "locations with the potential to attract and retain strong technical talent." To me, that reads like they're looking for somewhere "cool." If I was a "strong technical talent" and could choose between places like San Francisco, Seattle, New York, Denver, Austin...or Orlando's Sand Lake Road, I think the choice would be clear. When I show off Orlando to out-of-towners, I avoid our suburbs, Lake Nona, and our malls like the plague. Personally, I think semi-urban, inauthentic new-construction in the suburbs, connected by a slow, infrequent diesel train is the opposite of what tech talent is looking for. 

Now, a site downtown (Creative Village / Sentinel site) with a high-frequency light rail connection to the rest of downtown, Winter Park, and the airport wold be [kisses finger tips like an Italian]. 

1 hour ago, sunshine said:

how?

If you have the web developer extension for chrome, disable JavaScript. Or you can do this:

If you'd like to turn JavaScript off or on for all sites:
  1. Click the Chrome menu More in the top right hand corner of your browser
  2. Select Settings
  3. Click Show advanced settings
  4. Under the "Privacy" section, click the Content settings button.
  5. In the "Javascript" section, select "Do not allow any site to run JavaScript" or "Allow all sites to run JavaScript (recommended)"

Creative Village with the Lymmo and it proximity to LCS and Sunrail might just be enough.   They're just saying mass transit, nothing says it has to be a light rail.   Creative village with its proximity to a brand new I-4, LCS, Sunrail, and 30 min access to MCO, 10 min access, to ORL, and 45 min access to OSI as well as a blank slate for the campus and surrounding village might be ideal.  You have countless parcels in Paramore to build, the former Amway Center, mid-town including the Sentinel Blocks, Amazon could conceivably build a town around their HQ on the existing infrastructure.  UCF pumps out engineers and computer science majors like a fountain now, so young talent could easily be found.