Downtown Orlando Project Discussion

sunshine

Came across an interactive video of Toronto's Underpass Park:

And Miami's Underline Park:

I think our Under I4 park could potentially be a community asset. I see skateboarders & special events getting the most use out of a park like this. But cutting out the dog track would greatly reduce everyday pedestrian activity IMO.

Edited by nite owℓ
  • Like 1

On ‎10‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 5:23 PM, jrs2 said:

I was in Denver.  They have two buildings there that resemble the Fifth Third Bank and Citrus Center, only taller and with different dimensions.  The Fifth Third Bank clone has the same or similar base, but it's 3-4 times the height.  The Citrus Center clone is rectangular, and taller.  I wonder if it was the same architects.  There's also one that looks like a 1960's-'70's apartment tower in Chicago.

Among our top-tier cities, Denver has the drabbest skyline.

1 hour ago, steve_o said:

BBA is quite a bit smaller now since selling their entire flight services side to a company out of Dallas.  

I guess that's sort of good to hear.  I just hope it doesn't push back Capital Plaza 3 even further.   Highwoods owns both Seaside and CP 

Bungalower has more info about the park at Orange and Robinson mentioned during the State of Downtown. Perhaps most interesting is we may at last see the pop-up retail proposed in these threads for sometime.

http://bungalower.com/2017/10/18/city-looking-transform-empty-lot-outdoor-projection-park/

Edited by spenser1058
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, sunshine said:

Remove the palm trees and put some orange trees or put in an edible garden.

I have long bemoaned the loss of our heritage by not having any citrus trees downtown and would welcome them back. I know they can be a maintenance nightmare but I imagine some 4H or FFA group (not sure how far into the hinterlands one has to go to find those these days - Evans still had an FFA when I was in high school.)

1 hour ago, spenser1058 said:

BTW, the City has three community gardens in the area: Festival Park, Parramore and Colonialtown North.

Also at Lake Druid Park, and Greenwood Urban Wetlands.    

3 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

Bungalower has more info about the park at Orange and Robinson mentioned during the State of Downtown. Perhaps most interesting is we may at last see the pop-up retail proposed in these threads for sometime.

http://bungalower.com/2017/10/18/city-looking-transform-empty-lot-outdoor-projection-park/

It would be cool the see the Spanish revival building on the other side of the parking lot near the plot of land proposed for the outdoor space,  repurposed for something. Those bricked in windows look a bit unwelcoming. I wonder if they could work out some deal for that building in the future and incorporate it into the parklet, adding other amenities like a playground, or splash zone, or chess tables, or a bocce court, or a fountain, to further activate that corner...

59e786cb6ad26_ScreenShot2017-10-18at12_51_29PM.png.f167824b1f72ecc106151eb6e2a48a26.png

• Like 2

23 hours ago, smonteserin said:

Also at Lake Druid Park, and Greenwood Urban Wetlands.    

It would be cool the see the Spanish revival building on the other side of the parking lot near the plot of land proposed for the outdoor space,  repurposed for something. Those bricked in windows look a bit unwelcoming. I wonder if they could work out some deal for that building in the future and incorporate it into the parklet, adding other amenities like a playground, or splash zone, or chess tables, or a bocce court, or a fountain, to further activate that corner...

59e786cb6ad26_ScreenShot2017-10-18at12_51_29PM.png.f167824b1f72ecc106151eb6e2a48a26.png

This building has always confused me. How long has it been vacant, what used to be there, and will they ever use it again? Could be something really cool there.

28 minutes ago, codypet said:

Yea, I'm kinda confused.  Is the blue fence for the surface lot or are they going to build a few buildings too?

I wouldn't get my hopes up too high. It might just be site work moving around some infrastructure and laying some pipes. At best maybe they intend to build out Pine Street through there and the plaza and leave the building footprints as grass lots/parking for the moment and wait for the buildings to come later - kind of like what exists near Crescent Central Station or in the DPAC  plaza?

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, popsiclebrandon said:

This building has always confused me. How long has it been vacant, what used to be there, and will they ever use it again? Could be something really cool there.

I can't remember the name but it was a firm that made rubber stamps (remember those?) My parents once got me one for Christmas from there back in my total nerd phase when I fancied myself a child entrepreneur. The building is owned by Dr. Phillips (assuming they haven't sold it),an uber conservative spinoff that owns older buildings throughout west Orlando. Although it seems to be changing, they have never had a problem with holding properties for decades and the quality of the buildings was such they'll probably outlast all of us.

• Like 1

https://m.facebook.com/Help-Save-the-Historic-WDBO-Building-217201794969511/

The old WDBO Radio building in all its 1947 art deco splendor is now officially toast. Make way for the next Baker Barrios visor monstrosity (actually, no plans yet, let's just tear it down because we can.) As wonderful as Orlando often is, why we can't do a  better job of repurposing our historic gems escapes me. It's not like we have many of them.

"...Put up a bunch of ugly boxes and Jesus, people bought 'em...." Don Henley and the Eagles, "The Last Resort"

Plans underway to spruce up OPL exterior:

http://www.thedailycity.com/2017/10/new-landscaping-fencing-and-gates-to.html?m=1

From The Daily City

It seems both western sides of the Central and Rosalind intersection will see a transition now.

I'm pleased to see the City has been diligent in keeping the Brutalist essence of the building intact. If it goes as proposed, this should brighten the area while preserving one of our primary architectural assets downtown. Good job so far!

• Like 1