Downtown Orlando Project Discussion

sunshine

On 10/20/2017 at 6:07 PM, spenser1058 said:

https://m.facebook.com/Help-Save-the-Historic-WDBO-Building-217201794969511/

The old WDBO Radio building in all its 1947 art deco splendor is now officially toast. Make way for the next Baker Barrios visor monstrosity (actually, no plans yet, let's just tear it down because we can.) As wonderful as Orlando often is, why we can't do a  better job of repurposing our historic gems escapes me. It's not like we have many of them.

"...Put up a bunch of ugly boxes and Jesus, people bought 'em...." Don Henley and the Eagles, "The Last Resort"

I talked to the guys doing the demo. The city asked the owner to do everything possible to save the masonry signage on the front of the building. Last I herd they were able to salvage it. 

The guy over seeing the demo said the building had been slated to be torn down almost a decade ago. In its current state it was a public safety hazard and the owner decided it was time to tear it down. 

Of course. Demolition by neglect - the favorite pattern for developers to do away with an inconvenient building.

I was thinking the other day of how cities like Tampa are fortunate to have their older malls still intact (in Tampa's case, West Shore Plaza is much altered but the original parts like JCPenney and Macy's -originally Maas Brothers- are clearly recognizable.) Meanwhile, our first two malls are long gone and the third from the '70's is likely to end up unrecognizable.

Meanwhile, in the downtown core has anyone lifted a finger in this administration during the past 15 years to figure out a way those buildings won't just disappear when they're inconvenient for a developer to build the latest 5-story apartment building with luan doors? Of course not.

It's the Orlando way. Nobody's fault, nothing to see here.

• Like 1

Is it demolition by neglect? In some cases yes. Is it demolition by neglect due to regulation and prohibitive costs? In some cases yes.  

As I observe, many times "preservationist" puff up their chests and cry foul  long after any of them even tried to "lifted a finger".  WDBO was slated for demolition over a decade ago. Who stepped in to buy it out from the owner? Who championed preservation? No one. 

Also, if you recall, a lot of those new "five story" apartment buildings were build on vacant lots. 

And it's not "nobody's fault". It's the fault of the people who'd rather sit around and complain after the fact than actually doing something. 

1 hour ago, RedStar25 said:

Is it demolition by neglect? In some cases yes. Is it demolition by neglect due to regulation and prohibitive costs? In some cases yes.  

As I observe, many times "preservationist" puff up their chests and cry foul  long after any of them even tried to "lifted a finger".  WDBO was slated for demolition over a decade ago. Who stepped in to buy it out from the owner? Who championed preservation? No one. 

Also, if you recall, a lot of those new "five story" apartment buildings were build on vacant lots. 

And it's not "nobody's fault". It's the fault of the people who'd rather sit around and complain after the fact than actually doing something. 

Seems like a case of blaming the victim. Preservation is a proactive effort to preserve a city's history - Orlando has an absolutely obismal record in this department.  

Also, I can think of plenty an example of proactive attempts to preserve historic structures in Orlando to absolutely no avail, in fact  the latter where those folks were subjected to ridicule in the name of progress.

• Like 1

On 27/10/2017 at 6:50 PM, orange87 said:

Could someone tell me what this OBJ article says? It's subscriber content.

Top bidder circles piece of Creative Village pie: https://www.bizjournals.com/orlando/news/2017/10/26/top-bidder-circles-piece-of-creative-village-pie.html

Basically an unnamed party is negotiating with the broker to buy a 1.7 acre parcel, and that party has outbid Unicorp.  (If you turn off Javascript in your browser, you can load this paywall-blocked content in the web page to read)...

Edited by jliv

39 minutes ago, sunshine said:

From the article:

"...plans to redevelop as a three-story building with self storage and a pharmacy or other retailer. 

Liberty has filed a Specific Parcel Master Plan (SPMP) with the city to redevelop the site with a 10,950-square-foot retailer or pharmacy with drive-thru on the ground floor, and a self storage facility with office across 95,660 square feet on the second and third floors, along with parking and loading area.

The retailer's entry would be on the hard corner, to benefit from Colonial Drive's estimated 38,000 annual average daily vehicle trips, according to Orange County. The proposed uses are allowed, per the city's Growth Management Plan. 

While the SPMP specifies a pharmacy as the intended use, Liberty is now negotiating with two different types of retail users for the single-tenant ground space, so a pharmacy is not guaranteed, president Adam Mikkelson told GrowthSpotter on Tuesday.  

A major pharmacy is the best retail bet for that site, Krzyminksi added. While the nearest CVS at Mills Avenue and Walgreens at W. Church Street-N. Orange Avenue are each one mile from the women's shelter, the property wouldn't cannabalize either of those established locations, and would better serve the North Quarter apartment residents that favor walkability

42 minutes ago, sunshine said:

Assuming the elevations come up to the street, this could be a nice improvement for the site:

gs-coalition-for-the-homeless-property-downtow-002.thumb.jpg.5dda3bab1763ad64078fbab9f4ced890.jpg

• 10,950-square-foot retailer or pharmacy with drive-thru on the ground floor
  • self storage facility with office across 95,660 square feet on the second and third floors
  • retailer's entry would be on the hard corner, to benefit from Colonial Drive's estimated 38,000 annual average daily vehicle trips
  • "While the SPMP specifies a pharmacy as the intended use, Liberty is now negotiating with two different types of retail users for the single-tenant ground space, so a pharmacy is not guaranteed"
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, alex said:

Assuming the elevations come up to the street, this could be a nice improvement for the site:

gs-coalition-for-the-homeless-property-downtow-002.thumb.jpg.5dda3bab1763ad64078fbab9f4ced890.jpg

• 10,950-square-foot retailer or pharmacy with drive-thru on the ground floor
  • self storage facility with office across 95,660 square feet on the second and third floors
  • retailer's entry would be on the hard corner, to benefit from Colonial Drive's estimated 38,000 annual average daily vehicle trips
  • "While the SPMP specifies a pharmacy as the intended use, Liberty is now negotiating with two different types of retail users for the single-tenant ground space, so a pharmacy is not guaranteed"

It looks like the drive-through is completely contained within the building, with entrances on Magnolia and presumably on Hillcrest, and the building extending from property line to property line. While not the ideal use of the parcel, I think its better than what's there now, and serves immediate needs for current and future residents. I can't quite read the image, but I'd think given the higher-than-average first floor retail height and architectural features, it will lend a nice bit of height/mass to the corner.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, orange87 said:

So the 7-Eleven is on the North-West corner of Magnolia and E. Colonial. Which corner is this three story building going? I'm trying to look on Google Maps. What's currently there now?

This is the southeast corner. It's on a bit of a hill and partially hidden - it's been used for various nonprofit shelter-type activities for as long as I can remember.

Are all of the buildings on site to be demolished? Given that one of them is already 3 stories, it would be better if it got replaced by a 4-6 story building as opposed to another 3 story one. That's my only real complaint - it's not tall enough. At the very least, this proposal would (hopefully) solve the problem of the retaining walls currently around that site. Looking at the elevations, I wonder if the first floor entry on the corner would do a 45 degree cut. If they're trying to lure in CVS, then this might be likely the corner gets the cut.

On 11/3/2017 at 12:56 PM, dcluley98 said:

The old abandoned gas station on the Northeast corner of Orange and Robinson where Dyer said they are going to build a park was barricaded off today with no cars in it. 

Glad something is happening on that corner, but I believe the park is to go on the SW corner of the intersection, next to the Old Southern Bank building. 

http://bungalower.com/2017/10/18/city-looking-transform-empty-lot-outdoor-projection-park/