sunshine

Downtown Orlando Project Discussion

The old abandoned gas station on the Northeast corner of Orange and Robinson where Dyer said they are going to build a park was barricaded off today with no cars in it. 

On 11/3/2017 at 12:56 PM, dcluley98 said:

The old abandoned gas station on the Northeast corner of Orange and Robinson where Dyer said they are going to build a park was barricaded off today with no cars in it. 

Glad something is happening on that corner, but I believe the park is to go on the SW corner of the intersection, next to the Old Southern Bank building. 

http://bungalower.com/2017/10/18/city-looking-transform-empty-lot-outdoor-projection-park/ 

Maybe there's something else planned for the old gas station site.

I know the park is going in on the SW corner because there are renderings of it somewhere.

Orange-Robinson-Board-for-Perspectives-a

• Like 1

4 hours ago, dcluley98 said:

My bad. I hope something is coming on the NE corner! Maybe it was just wishful thinking!

I think I can safely say that we all share your wishful thinking... 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, JFW657 said:

Maybe there's something else planned for the old gas station site.

I know the park is going in on the SW corner because there are renderings of it somewhere.

Orange-Robinson-Board-for-Perspectives-a

Shipping container architecture at last! It would be nice to see a local "celebrity" chef occupy the space.

1 minute ago, bulldogger said:

One of the busiest intersections in the city (at least in name) and we have traffic lights dangling from wires still.

I was just going to say that.

While I'm glad we're getting more retail there, it does lead me to wonder once again about the whole notion of "highest and best use" that the free marketers insist should be the only criteria for real estate. Such laissez faire notions are widely being rethought both on Wall Street and in economics more generally. I wonder if it's time to reexamine that model for land.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, bulldogger said:

One of the busiest intersections in the city (at least in name) and we have traffic lights dangling from wires still.

I do suppose as I-4 Ultimate is finishing up in 4 or so years, they might put in a new mast arm.  The extent of the I-4 work encompasses that interesection too.

• Like 1

They are currently working on creating a stacking lane for I-4 adjacent to Steelhouse. Perhaps new signalization is included in that scope of work. I will be interested to see whether they demo and re-build Mama B's building or just renovate it. I am just glad they are starting work on it. Need to redo the "landscaping" out in front of it too!

Edited by dcluley98

30 minutes ago, metal93 said:

I do suppose as I-4 Ultimate is finishing up in 4 or so years, they might put in a new mast arm.  The extent of the I-4 work encompasses that interesection too.

I'd like to see at Orange and Colonial, something similar to what they've got at SOBT and Oak Ridge.

Basically a tubular steel webbed truss type configuration that spans all the way across the roadway with supports on both sides, but with decorative elements incorporated, signifying downtown.

Possibly a decorative archway that doubles as a traffic light support.

• Like 1

More Mama B's. Rolloff dumpster is on site and they took out some of those nasty bushes I was talking about earlier. Good to see!  Starting to look better already. I hope they really do something to spruce up the whole intersection, as it is a gateway to downtown!

20171110_173814(0).jpg

20171110_173654.jpg

20171110_173925.jpg

• Like 3

On 11/6/2017 at 9:03 AM, bulldogger said:

Yeah.  I have been saying this for a few years now.  By comparison, a similar situation at Major Blvd & Kirkman Rd. which was finally eliminated a couple of months back.  The entrance to Universal with dangling cables got replaced when they opened up Grand National to Major; the improvements included new lights assembly at Major & Kirkman.  I'm curious if the the I-4 Ultimate $$$ paid for it.

48 minutes ago, jrs2 said:

Yeah.  I have been saying this for a few years now.  By comparison, a similar situation at Major Blvd & Kirkman Rd. which was finally eliminated a couple of months back.  The entrance to Universal with dangling cables got replaced when they opened up Grand National to Major; the improvements included new lights assembly at Major & Kirkman.  I'm curious if the the I-4 Ultimate $$$ paid for it.

They did.

• Like 1

This story on condo terminations at The Paramount suggests that developers believe downtown's future is more with renters than buyers. That is likely to make a difference in the type of amenities we see downtown if the neighborhood is going to continue to be dominated by younger, single residents. Perhaps not surprising, just a confirmation of what we already knew.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/business/brinkmann-on-business/os-paramount-condo-termination-20171122-story.html

From the Sentinel