Downtown Orlando Project Discussion

sunshine

3 hours ago, HankStrong said:

I'm fairly sure it is the same.  I'm always fairly sure those aren't decent-sized SKYCRAPERS.  Those are mid-height buildings.... although I'm sure some of that depends on whether you use the 100m (328') standard of the mid-20th century or the modern 150m (492') definition.  From what I'm reading, they are looking to change the standard again to a minimum of 200m (656') to be called a skyscraper.

Orlando Metro area before the 3 you mention:  (I actually believe the 3 you mention are all still <100m... like 89m, 85m, and 99m respectively)

>200m = 0

>150m = 0

>100m = 8 (plus 3 other items - Orlando Eye, OIA tower, Sea World Sky ride)

I think the standard terms used to define height categories of buildings are

1) Lowrise

2) Midrise

3) Highrise

4) Skyscraper.

Orlando has plenty in the first two categories, with several qualifying for the third, but as of yet, no skyscrapers.

Local travel services firm plans new HQ in downtown Orlando

https://www.bizjournals.com/orlando/news/2018/01/04/local-travel-services-firm-plans-new-hq-in.html

Basically saying that Bags, Inc is looking to buy city-owned vacant land at the southwest corner of Division Avenue and South Street near the Amway Center .  Looking to use 50K sq ft space. The land is only 1 acre. It will be a multi stories building.

5 hours ago, sunshine said:

Local travel services firm plans new HQ in downtown Orlando

https://www.bizjournals.com/orlando/news/2018/01/04/local-travel-services-firm-plans-new-hq-in.html

Basically saying that Bags, Inc is looking to buy city-owned vacant land at the southwest corner of Division Avenue and South Street near the Amway Center .  Looking to use 50K sq ft space. The land is only 1 acre. It will be a multi stories building.

This is GREAT news! Another corporate headquarters moving to downtown Orlando. They will build their 50,000+ square foot headquarters on a vacant lot (which is great) near Amway Center.  Approximately 80 corporate management and employees would work at this location on a regular basis.

map3.png

• Like 1

1 hour ago, smileguy said:

For 50k square feet, I think this will be 2-3 stories. I'd hope they will be able to use parking at the Geico garage across the street and not have to incorporate it into their own building. 

Why? I don't want them potentially making it so the Gieco Garage runs out of parking for Magic games or other events. Plus, (obviously) a parking garage incorporated into their building could add another 2-3 stories. Height is good. lol

Edited by orange87

The plan will be for a 5-story building.

This is good news to pluck this firm from the Westwood Corporate Center.  Also in that Westwood center is the Marriott Vacation Club headquarters.  They are Orlando-Based since they split off of Marriott International about a decade ago.   Wouldn't that be a nice firm to relocate as well.   Downtown is losing a few hundred employees from the BBA Aviation move to Lake Nona so every little bit helps.  

Back to Bags - many of their employees are low-paid jobs working at OIA and I think Disney.  This puts their HQ on the SunRail and LYNX line which connect directly to both OIA and WDW via bus.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AndyPok1 said:

Everything around it is 2 stories max, having a 6 story office building there would be super out of character.

How so? It's directly next to a giant parking garage and arena and would be the same height as the westbound on ramp to 408 literally 150ft away. It's cohesive to the other height items directly associated.

10 minutes ago, Jernigan said:

520 Church construction activity anticipated for February per permit application to use the lots for construction parking.  

OMG, I've been very anxious about this one.  I walk by it 2-4 times every day.  This one will truly change the neighborhood.

6 hours ago, Jernigan said:

Another day another 7-Eleven personal storage facility.   This one is going on Magnolia & Colonial.  3 story with ground floor commercial...

http://www.cityoforlando.net/city-planning/wp-content/uploads/sites/27/2018/01/MPBProjectOverview2018-02_MPL2017-10029.pdf

The restaurant with the drive-thru might be a great option for the lost Lake Eola Panera but I doubt the city lets them keep the drive-thru in the plans. 

I know this is mostly a personal storage facility but I do like the nearly 12,000 sq.ft. of retail along Colonial Drive. The parking seems small for any type of big business but this would be a great spot for a late night dining spot, could easily grab the downtown and the Ivanhoe Village crowd. 

While this isn't as fancy as I'd like I think this is a huge improvement over the current site and nicer than many of the other recent additions in that area *cough*Ugly metal building hotel*cough* 

8 hours ago, AndyPok1 said:

Everything around it is 2 stories max, having a 6 story office building there would be super out of character.

I think this will be a nice stairstep from the arena and Ultimate I-4. I think we've been overlooking how the new I-4/408 ramps will add some unique visuals and height to that area. 

I hope that the history center across the street gets more love and becomes a more active facility now that the area is getting more foot traffic. 

10 hours ago, orange87 said:

The great thing about this is that while 420 Church is 9-stories, 520 Church will be 12-stories.

I wonder if it will actually happen this time. It was supposed to begin LAST, LAST December. 420 seems pretty much full and when anyone moves out, it looks like someone moves right back in. It's my favorite area of Downtown and one of the main reasons I am staying there. I think 520 would really "complete" the area. Fingers crossed. 

• Like 2

I still think that 520 could be designed to occupy less foot print and break up into several taller buildings.

On the other note..

Valencia seeks $2.3M in funding for training center near UCF Downtown

https://www.bizjournals.com/orlando/news/2018/01/04/valencia-seeks-2-3m-in-funding-for-training-center.html

Valencia is looking for exsiting 9000 to 12000 sq ft building.

15 hours ago, klstorey said:

I think this will be a nice stairstep from the arena and Ultimate I-4. I think we've been overlooking how the new I-4/408 ramps will add some unique visuals and height to that area. 

I hope that the history center across the street gets more love and becomes a more active facility now that the area is getting more foot traffic. 

Not gonna lie, when I logged on and saw 3 new notifications, I was like whoa, what'd I saw that was so controversial having forgot that comment ha.

Yeah, I thought about the new 408 ramps making it a better visual, but eh, I largely just see Amway and Geico Garage as an island to their own.  Some things I can envision easily, others I can't.  This is the latter.

• Like 1

Nope.   Going to a soccer stadium for a farmers market ranks up there next to "cute urban bookstore" on the list of things I want us to have but would never frequent.

I don't see it lasting in its current form.   It looks way to forced.   Hopefully some good comes out of it - fleet farmings involvement is encouraging.