Downtown Orlando Project Discussion

sunshine

It was a little confusing to have both that building (20 N Orange) and One Orlando Centre north of Colonial both bear Wells Fargo’s name.   I always referred to the former as the Morgan & Morgan building and am surprised he hasn’t put his name if not his face on the skyline 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Jernigan said:

It was a little confusing to have both that building (20 N Orange) and One Orlando Centre north of Colonial both bear Wells Fargo’s name.   I always referred to the former as the Morgan & Morgan building and am surprised he hasn’t put his name if not his face on the skyline 

If he did, it would of course be.... FOR the people!!! 

5 hours ago, Jernigan said:

Wow.  In the former “Tastings” etc space on the 2nd floor?

I think the first floor empty space on the corner of Palmetto and Washington could actually work if it looks good from the windows 

I always liked the look and layout of the first floor. I briefly flirted with an idea for it. But this is supposedly going in the old Shiva Bowl space upstairs. I think both spots are losers for pretty much any concept. Maybe when the hotel goes in but even then would be tough. Makes me sad seeing people throw away a couple hundred grand because of a bad broker.

This would be a three-tower 40 story complex which would make it the tallest building in downtown Orlando based on the number of stories and based on the picture. As you can see, the tower is clearly the tallest thing in the downtown Orlando skyline. I REALLY hope this thing gets built.

building.png

Edited by orange87
  • Like 2

38 minutes ago, tc01 said:

Now this the kinda of projects I wanna see in Downtown!!!!!!  Would be nice if it's gets built. They city would probably say it's too tall and it would mess up downtown's image lol 

Currently, the building in downtown Orlando with the most floors has 35 floors. 40 floors is a good bit taller, but not so much to the point where it would look out of place (in my opinion). I REALLY want this thing to get built. I'm getting bored of all the short buildings we've been getting lately. Also, at 40 floors, there's a very good chance this thing could be at least 500 feet tall.

Edited by orange87
  • Like 3

On 2/1/2018 at 2:52 PM, DreS0803 said:

This makes me very optimistic: "Additionally, negotiations have commenced for the purchase of the lot, as well as the Pre-Approval Process with the City of Orlando, the City’s Zoning Official, and all other jurisdictional parties with interest in the development including Green Works Orlando and Mayor Buddy Dyer’s Smart City effort, the Orlando Economic Partnership, and the Downtown Development Board.

Chris Castro, Director of Sustainability for the City of Orlando, shared VERTICAL MEDICAL CITY “would be a great addition to our City’s skyline.”"

Do we have any idea on the location? It looks close to I-4 if this rendering is accurate. I'd love to see it actually just across I-4 but I doubt that will happen. I can't imagine a better way to pull the skyline west than this. I'm thinking it might be the parking lot between Jefferson and Washington but is that enough for 3 towers?

95b146dace1c6a61ab42fed759950ba9.jpg

4 minutes ago, klstorey said:

Do we have any idea on the location? It looks close to I-4 if this rendering is accurate. I'd love to see it actually just across I-4 but I doubt that will happen. I can't imagine a better way to pull the skyline west than this. I'm thinking it might be the parking lot between Jefferson and Washington but is that enough for 3 towers?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

That looks right about where it would be according to the picture. I know they said three towers, but when I look at the picture I only see one tower. So whatever that tower is in the picture, it looks like it could fit in that lot.

That looks right about where it would be according to the picture. I know they said three towers, but when I look at the picture I only see one tower. So whatever that tower is in the picture, it looks like it could fit in that lot.

It looks to have a small building with a taller stretching over it. Maybe that lot and the Fairwinds tower parking lot, might even integrate the Fairwinds tower into it.

Edit- looking on a brighter screen I can see that it's part of the same building. Just ignore me and my blind self. 10c496665461034aba259111fe0bcd4f.jpg&key=c9c2e03429f389497e52a0e80f30ca230f6da26d5ea5c16a1e4b27f5ef789111

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I'd much rather see four 30-story buildings than three 40 -story buildings.  It'd be more consistent with  our downtown, and it would occupy a greater footprint, creating more "canyons" and "valleys".    When you look at any satellite-view  of areas with mountains and you'll see the people are in the valleys.  It doesn't take 40-stories to create a populous valley.  When I go downtown for a dinner and maybe bar-hopping.  I don't want to spend my time staring at an elevator door.

• Like 1

As nifty as the rendering is, if you guys think someone's really building a 500ft tall nursing home in downtown Orlando I've got a bridge to sell you. As far as the "medical" part of this is concerned, both OH and FH own lots of land in other parts of the city and wouldn't have a need for such a stand-alone behemoth, and no for profit medical company would plop anything that substantial directly between the two existing medical campuses.

That said, I imagine Orlando Health will have another new tower underway on the ORMC campus within a couple of years, and Florida Hospital's master plan for the Princeton St area has a lot of mass to it

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

26 minutes ago, Universe_Explorer said:

As nifty as the rendering is, if you guys think someone's really building a 500ft tall nursing home in downtown Orlando I've got a bridge to sell you. As far as the "medical" part of this is concerned, both OH and FH own lots of land in other parts of the city and wouldn't have a need for such a stand-alone behemoth, and no for profit medical company would plop anything that substantial directly between the two existing medical campuses.

That said, I imagine Orlando Health will have another new tower underway on the ORMC campus within a couple of years, and Florida Hospital's master plan for the Princeton St area has a lot of mass to it

You're probably 100% right.

But... let us have our dreams!!!! :( :cry:

;)

2 hours ago, cwetteland said:

I'd much rather see four 30-story buildings than three 40 -story buildings.  It'd be more consistent with  our downtown, and it would occupy a greater footprint, creating more "canyons" and "valleys".    When you look at any satellite-view  of areas with mountains and you'll see the people are in the valleys.  It doesn't take 40-stories to create a populous valley.  When I go downtown for a dinner and maybe bar-hopping.  I don't want to spend my time staring at an elevator door.

My understanding of the proposal is its one "crown" 40 story  building with a 20 story and a 10-15 story when they say "3 towers". With them saying they have a tenant for a third of the property, I'm wondering if they plan to make it a separate phase for each building, and are really only planning the smallest one for the moment for the tenant they have,  that'd probably be the most realistic thing if this building does have an  actual path forward. 

Also, I believe the UCF Medical School teaching hospital gave the partnership contract to a non-ORMC/FH national hospital company (HCA). They seem to be very interested in rapid expansion in the Orlando market so its not completely crazy that we could have a real new player in downtown, but this project hasn't got it. They own Osceola Regional, North Florida, etc.

Edited by aent

Did a walk around most of downtown last night because it was so nice out.

There is activity in the old Java Lava space. No permit or anything so not sure the plan there.

Jinya is under construction, and with a permit.

Looks like that cafe on the corner of Washington and Orange is doing some work.

Other than the recently vacated stretch on Church there really isn't any good retail open to lease. Only spaces left are off the main areas like at 420 and Aspire where you need to be something like a salon or yoga or something to make it work.

• Like 2