Downtown Orlando Project Discussion

sunshine

On ‎3‎/‎2‎/‎2018 at 7:59 PM, aent said:

The problem is unnecessary stops don't garner the attention of drivers. To protect pedestrians, a button activated RRFB would probably make a lot more sense:

I find these to be much more effective when they also light up the crosswalk.

The ones at the sides of the road only are often still ignored AND, to be fair, sometimes they are on 35mph, 45mph, or higher streets, so people are not really looking for those only on the sides of the road. 

The enhanced crossings with lights all the way across are basically unable to be missed. 

Sort of like that text.

Images not mine, found online as examples.

epcw1.jpg

epcw2.jpg

• Like 3

On 3/2/2018 at 9:24 AM, JFW657 said:

Maybe they should consider temporarily installing something along the lines of this...

AdventurousDetailedHarborseal-max-1mb.gi

If that doesn't get someone's attention...

I fully agree with you.  I have been yammering about doing something more dramatic on I-Drive for years.  This is an attention grabber that protects cross street vehicles and peds.

On 3/2/2018 at 8:33 PM, JFW657 said:

Maybe pop up barricades would do the trick....

animation-88.gif

See above

LMAO. That video, with Benny Hill background music, is funny.  Does that thing really pop up?  I've seem those automated stainless steel popup barricades in Amsterdam with little red lights on them that are about 4' tall.  Red lights.  No pun intended.

Have you ever seen those crazy pop up half circle steel barricades at the UN entrance in Manhattan?  Holy stuff!  Ain't nuttin' getting thru there. 

• Thanks 1

On 3/2/2018 at 7:59 PM, aent said:

The problem is unnecessary stops don't garner the attention of drivers. To protect pedestrians, a button activated RRFB would probably make a lot more sense:

61L8U6IvndL._SL1000_.jpg

On I-Drive, cars ignore them.  I have to be the trend setter, as a local, to get other cars to even slow down.  People understand red; they ignore yellow.

1 hour ago, HankStrong said:

I find these to be much more effective when they also light up the crosswalk.

epcw2.jpg

They had these on the crosswalks at Lake Underhill and they took them out in favor of the signs similar to whats on the OUT by Fresh Market.

image.thumb.png.af5f312be837021764e872eb3991aecc.png 

image.thumb.png.201c05f29eb52ab74daf7b7710ac628d.png

The Lake Como residents have been literally screaming at the city to those signs up there.  I feel like that gets the point across really quick. 

I'm thinking if they're not going to put them on OBT they're not going to put them anywhere.  Inconsistently signed mid block crossings are a problem throughout the city.  My dad asked for clarification from a law enforcement officer about what he should do at the crossings shown below.  Legally he's supposed to stop right?  The officer suggested if he wanted to avoid an accident he shouldn't stop.  There's a distinct problem here.

image.png.6f30c9add21a3475e7cca1761b737dae.png

image.thumb.png.c4a01ed2d447674b42fb2ecb323f4e4d.png

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

6 hours ago, Don't Talk To ME said:

Every pedestrian walkway has to be enclosed in a white box. It's County or State rules ... can't remember which. 

Its state/federal, and thats not quite the rule. Every crosswalk must have one of the standard white designs, unmodified and with nothing that would effect how it contrasts with the road. The stripes are a permissible standard, so the 3D version, if deemed to not remove any focus from the white lines, would be permissible.

I'm thinking if they're not going to put them on OBT they're not going to put them anywhere.  Inconsistently signed mid block crossings are a problem throughout the city.  My dad asked for clarification from a law enforcement officer about what he should do at the crossings shown below.  Legally he's supposed to stop right?  The officer suggested if he wanted to avoid an accident he shouldn't stop.  There's a distinct problem here.

You're supposed to stop only if you would be in the way of a pedestrian who is continuing at their pace at any time you would be in that part of the crosswalk. Florida doesn't require the entire crosswalk to be clear like some other states for cars to proceed. If you're in the left lane and the right lanes are not stopping to allow a pedestrian from the right to cross, there is little reason to stop, and the law doesn't really require you to do so. If someone is trying to cross from the right and you're in the right lane, you are supposed to stop to allow them to  begin crossing.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, codypet said:

im thinking if they're not going to put them on OBT they're not going to put them anywhere.  Inconsistently signed mid block crossings are a problem throughout the city.  My dad asked for clarification from a law enforcement officer about what he should do at the crossings shown below.  Legally he's supposed to stop right?  The officer suggested if he wanted to avoid an accident he shouldn't stop.  There's a distinct problem here.

image.png.6f30c9add21a3475e7cca1761b737dae.png

ironic enough West Oakridge Road has flashing crossing signs 

and the officer is right, its dangerous to stop considering the mass of traffic that flows there and people love to drive faster than NASCAR drivers in that specific part of OBT where that crossing is 

15 hours ago, jrs2 said:

Is there an I-4 thread?  I couldn't find one.  Here is a view from two vantage points of what appears to be the placement of bridge parts on the 408 interchange.  it looks like 408 EB ramp being extended:

20180305_103059.jpg

20180305_105108.jpg

Driving on I-75 last night you could see the beams laying on flatbeds at the weigh station waiting to be brought down to the interchange.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jrs2 said:

^^

Okay.  I made a mistake (shhh, don'e tell anyone).

The bridges are for I-4 EB to 408 WB.

Nobody will blame you. This interchange is going to be massive and complicated - particularly in the NE quadrant, there's a lot going on all in the same place. 

http://i4ultimate.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/12/2379-SR-408-interchange-improvements-handout.pdf 

Edited by smileguy
edited to include link to pdf
  • Like 1

I like to refer to the WB 408 to WB I-4 current stub as the DUKES OF HAZZARD RAMP!  Every time we get on the EB I-4 ramp, I make the Dukes sound effect and tell the wife I'm going to try the WB ramp instead.  She doesn't find this nearly as hilarious as I do.  She mildly chuckled the first time, but just groans since.

It's been there so long now that I might even miss it when it is gone.

• Haha 3