Downtown Orlando Project Discussion

sunshine

13 minutes ago, sunshine said:

that club at the corner could be a nice Ruth Chris steak house... or 7-11

They're completely renovating the club right now. They already re-did the old Brink space which is now two venues, Blackstar and OddJobs. The new Firestone will be called The Vanguard. It seems like the people who are behind it are legit and hopefully they can book some good acts. 

1 hour ago, JFW657 said:

I wish they'd hurry up with it.

How long ago did we first hear about this? A year ago?

And it's still in the design/proposal phase?

Orlando.

I know Orlando is notorious for slow approvals but what does this have to do with the city? The developers probably don’t have the financing in place or they would have moved faster.

1 hour ago, leondecollao said:

I know Orlando is notorious for slow approvals but what does this have to do with the city? The developers probably don’t have the financing in place or they would have moved faster.

Nothing so much to do with the city govt per se, but slow just seems to be the way things go in Slowlando.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, JFW657 said:

Nothing so much to do with the city govt per se, but slow just seems to be the way things go in Slowlando.

In the photos, there is one not showing the parking deck and the other one has it in there.  Is the parking deck for sure getting built?

4 hours ago, jrs2 said:

In the photos, there is one not showing the parking deck and the other one has it in there.  Is the parking deck for sure getting built?

I think they are proposing it with both options. There are also site plans and elevations showing it both ways, with and without the deck.

Of course, I'm hoping they build the deck.

The only area where staff has significant concerns about the project design is with the architectural treatment of the parking garage. Nowhere in Downtown Orlando along Orange Ave., the City’s main street, does a stand alone garage structure front on to Orange Avenue with out a ground floor use or a tower rising above it. Whle, the City’s Land Development Code does not prohibit this condition, it isn’t a desired condition. The design team has presented the beginning of an architectural concept that treats the upper floors of the façade with decorative screens. ARB Staff believes this treatment needs additional attention moving forward. Additionally, ARB staff thinks the ground level of the garage frontage along Orange Ave. should be detailed, inviting and also provide an enhanced, comfortable pedestrian experience. Therefore, ARB Staff will continue to work with the owner and design team to expand the initial parking garage façade concept before the project comes back for final review.

Interesting points about the parking deck...

I'm gonna call BS on that.   The courthouse garage does that for north 1/4th of the block.   Approximately the same length this garage will front Orange.  Now the courthouse does have an architectural treatment and I think its a valid point.  Maybe they need retail down there. 

image.thumb.png.7ac5f7446cab1710c4873da5c98866ce.png

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Jernigan said:

The only danger I’ve seen in the news were drunk soccer fans assaulting an officer after a game.   It’s a very safe walk on game days.   There are a ton of parking spaces east of I-4 

You've never seen the Parramore area in the news? Really?

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/breaking-news/os-homicide-parramore-boston-20180223-story.html

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/breaking-news/os-gino-nicolas-tanya-skeen-verdict-20171211-story.html 

47 minutes ago, orange87 said:

I am absolutely dumbfounded that people on here are acting like it's not a well established fact that west of I-4 has a big crime problem and they have no idea why someone wouldn't want to park miles away from the stadium and hike there. Absolutely unreal.

Because there is no reason too. It's perfectly fine to walk there during gamedays, day or night. Have you ever been to a game?

People used to walk from the Citrus Bowl back to downtown. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, orange87 said:

I am absolutely dumbfounded that people on here are acting like it's not a well established fact that west of I-4 has a big crime problem and they have no idea why someone wouldn't want to park miles away from the stadium and hike there. Absolutely unreal.

I've walked to and from The Citrus Bowl along Church St. (with other fans, of course) at night and it was ok.  Very bright lights.    Soccer Stadium is so much closer to CBD it shouldn't be a problem.  But the operative word is "problem."  Why, because there is crime out there, and I acknowledge it- but I think others here acknowledge it too; I think the point is that, in spite of that, they've done a good job on game days.  Even Central was redone with better lighting I noticed.

39 minutes ago, bqknight said:

Because there is no reason too. It's perfectly fine to walk there during gamedays, day or night. Have you ever been to a game?

People used to walk from the Citrus Bowl back to downtown. 

What you said...

I've never been to an Orlando City Soccer game. I'm going to one later this month. I just looked at a map to see the area I drove near that I was referring to as "bad," and it actually might not have been Parramore. I drove in the area between W Amelia and W Colonial, especially near N Westmoreland. I thought that was considered Parramore. Maybe I was wrong. I literally felt afraid driving through there.

Anyway, only reason I brought this up originally was because I'm going to an Orlando City Soccer game and I didn't know if I was going to have to walk a long ways through a bad area. Am I able to park in the Geico Garage for the Orlando City Soccer game? Doesn't seem like too far of a walk, and the game is during the day so it should be fine.

Edited by orange87

The new stadium is only 2 blocks west from Amway - so it's more comparable to going to a Magic game than an event at the Citrus Bowl.   I obviously can't speak for everyone but I don't know anyone that parks west of I-4 for a game.   I couldn't even tell you if the Geico Garage is open during soccer games, but you're better bet is to park in the Central Business District!  Make a party out of it.  Take in some atmosphere at Wall Street and Church Street and walk under I-4 with 20,000 of your new friends.  

• Like 3

2 hours ago, orange87 said:

I've never been to an Orlando City Soccer game. I'm going to one later this month. I just looked at a map to see the area I drove near that I was referring to as "bad," and it actually might not have been Parramore. I drove in the area between W Amelia and W Colonial, especially near N Westmoreland. I thought that was considered Parramore. Maybe I was wrong. I literally felt afraid driving through there.

Anyway, only reason I brought this up originally was because I'm going to an Orlando City Soccer game and I didn't know if I was going to have to walk a long ways through a bad area. Am I able to park in the Geico Garage for the Orlando City Soccer game? Doesn't seem like too far of a walk, and the game is during the day so it should be fine.

I wouldn't be worried.  Before the games there are huge crowds and tons of security/police on Church and Central leading to the Orlando City Stadium.  They also just renovated the lighting on Central and Church , which are the roads you will be walking to get to the stadium.  The Geico garage should be open, but I'd recommend parking in the Garland lot, 55 West Garage, or the Central Garage if it isn't.  Once parked just follow the crowd down Central or Church to the stadium (walking through Church St. downtown can be an interesting experience due to the pregame stuff that happens there).  You'll be walking about 4 blocks max.

The crime in the area, while still relatively high, has been greatly improved in recent years due to an increased investment in the area.  The police department just funded a bike patrol through the neighborhood as well.

• Like 1