Jump to content

Downtown Orlando Project Discussion


Recommended Posts

I am absolutely dumbfounded that people on here are acting like it's not a well established fact that west of I-4 has a big crime problem and they have no idea why someone wouldn't want to park miles away from the stadium and hike there. Absolutely unreal.

Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Replies 8.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I think Lake Eola Park is one of the best urban parks in the country.  Today.  Haven't been to Orlando in 10 years or more and there is a lot more life downtown and around this park.  Great to see an

My friend grabbed some shots of downtown while flying into ORL. This one really shows how the I-4/408 interchange is coming along.  Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

That was in the latest ARB report as well: http://www.cityoforlando.net/city-planning/wp-content/uploads/sites/27/2018/03/ARB2017-10009reportMarch2018.pdf Here is the new rendering:  A

Posted Images

47 minutes ago, orange87 said:

I am absolutely dumbfounded that people on here are acting like it's not a well established fact that west of I-4 has a big crime problem and they have no idea why someone wouldn't want to park miles away from the stadium and hike there. Absolutely unreal.

Because there is no reason too. It's perfectly fine to walk there during gamedays, day or night. Have you ever been to a game?

People used to walk from the Citrus Bowl back to downtown. 

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, orange87 said:

I am absolutely dumbfounded that people on here are acting like it's not a well established fact that west of I-4 has a big crime problem and they have no idea why someone wouldn't want to park miles away from the stadium and hike there. Absolutely unreal.

I've walked to and from The Citrus Bowl along Church St. (with other fans, of course) at night and it was ok.  Very bright lights.    Soccer Stadium is so much closer to CBD it shouldn't be a problem.  But the operative word is "problem."  Why, because there is crime out there, and I acknowledge it- but I think others here acknowledge it too; I think the point is that, in spite of that, they've done a good job on game days.  Even Central was redone with better lighting I noticed.

39 minutes ago, bqknight said:

Because there is no reason too. It's perfectly fine to walk there during gamedays, day or night. Have you ever been to a game?

People used to walk from the Citrus Bowl back to downtown. 

What you said...

Link to post
Share on other sites

I've never been to an Orlando City Soccer game. I'm going to one later this month. I just looked at a map to see the area I drove near that I was referring to as "bad," and it actually might not have been Parramore. I drove in the area between W Amelia and W Colonial, especially near N Westmoreland. I thought that was considered Parramore. Maybe I was wrong. I literally felt afraid driving through there.

Anyway, only reason I brought this up originally was because I'm going to an Orlando City Soccer game and I didn't know if I was going to have to walk a long ways through a bad area. Am I able to park in the Geico Garage for the Orlando City Soccer game? Doesn't seem like too far of a walk, and the game is during the day so it should be fine.

Edited by orange87
Link to post
Share on other sites

The new stadium is only 2 blocks west from Amway - so it's more comparable to going to a Magic game than an event at the Citrus Bowl.   I obviously can't speak for everyone but I don't know anyone that parks west of I-4 for a game.   I couldn't even tell you if the Geico Garage is open during soccer games, but you're better bet is to park in the Central Business District!  Make a party out of it.  Take in some atmosphere at Wall Street and Church Street and walk under I-4 with 20,000 of your new friends.  

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm the last person to go to a sporting event but did attend a political function at Broken Cauldron Brewery, which is about halfway between the Citrus Bowl and OCSC stadium. I left around 9pm and felt perfectly safe. Give it a try ... you'll like it.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, orange87 said:

I've never been to an Orlando City Soccer game. I'm going to one later this month. I just looked at a map to see the area I drove near that I was referring to as "bad," and it actually might not have been Parramore. I drove in the area between W Amelia and W Colonial, especially near N Westmoreland. I thought that was considered Parramore. Maybe I was wrong. I literally felt afraid driving through there.

Anyway, only reason I brought this up originally was because I'm going to an Orlando City Soccer game and I didn't know if I was going to have to walk a long ways through a bad area. Am I able to park in the Geico Garage for the Orlando City Soccer game? Doesn't seem like too far of a walk, and the game is during the day so it should be fine.

I wouldn't be worried.  Before the games there are huge crowds and tons of security/police on Church and Central leading to the Orlando City Stadium.  They also just renovated the lighting on Central and Church , which are the roads you will be walking to get to the stadium.  The Geico garage should be open, but I'd recommend parking in the Garland lot, 55 West Garage, or the Central Garage if it isn't.  Once parked just follow the crowd down Central or Church to the stadium (walking through Church St. downtown can be an interesting experience due to the pregame stuff that happens there).  You'll be walking about 4 blocks max.

 

The crime in the area, while still relatively high, has been greatly improved in recent years due to an increased investment in the area.  The police department just funded a bike patrol through the neighborhood as well.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, orange87 said:

I've never been to an Orlando City Soccer game. I'm going to one later this month. I just looked at a map to see the area I drove near that I was referring to as "bad," and it actually might not have been Parramore. I drove in the area between W Amelia and W Colonial, especially near N Westmoreland. I thought that was considered Parramore. Maybe I was wrong. I literally felt afraid driving through there.

Anyway, only reason I brought this up originally was because I'm going to an Orlando City Soccer game and I didn't know if I was going to have to walk a long ways through a bad area. Am I able to park in the Geico Garage for the Orlando City Soccer game? Doesn't seem like too far of a walk, and the game is during the day so it should be fine.

LOL, aww. You don't know true fear unless you've driven through that same area 15-20+ years ago on a non-game night - talk about terrifying. It's cleaned up a lot, but you can just imagine what it actually used to be like when the city didn't give a sht about maintaining public safety. I think that area is technically considered Callahan (named after Parramore's first black doctor), but pretty much anything south of Colonial is considered "Parramore" to most people. I once considered buying a cute Spanish Mission/Mediterranean historic  home on Concord St years ago as an investment to "beat" the gentrification and simply turning onto Parramore from Colonial Dr with friends in the car to show them the house they would literally tense up and practically crawl out of their skin lol. The people living in that area were incredibly nice though.

Anyway, you shouldn't have anything to worry about. Game nights are NOTHING like regular nights. The energy is upbeat, tons of people milling about, and squad cars parked at a couple major intersections to help direct pedestrian traffic. I've even seen young kids/families walking around at night during Amway events. I'm sure it may be a different story if you decide to wander off the beaten path, but I highly doubt the trouble-makers will get trigger happy with that level of people/police presence around. I believe most of the violence in Parramore is drug-related (self-contained between parties) except for a few outliers of course. Crime is everywhere though...

 

 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, nite owℓ said:

LOL, aww. You don't know true fear unless you've driven through that same area 15-20+ years ago on a non-game night - talk about terrifying. It's cleaned up a lot, but you can just imagine what it actually used to be like when the city didn't give a sht about maintaining public safety. I think that area is technically considered Callahan (named after Parramore's first black doctor), but pretty much anything south of Colonial is considered "Parramore" to most people. I once considered buying a cute Spanish Mission/Mediterranean historic  home on Concord St years ago as an investment to "beat" the gentrification and simply turning onto Parramore from Colonial Dr with friends in the car to show them the house they would literally tense up and practically crawl out of their skin lol. The people living in that area were incredibly nice though.

Anyway, you shouldn't have anything to worry about. Game nights are NOTHING like regular nights. The energy is upbeat, tons of people milling about, and squad cars parked at a couple major intersections to help direct pedestrian traffic. I've even seen young kids/families walking around at night during Amway events. I'm sure it may be a different story if you decide to wander off the beaten path, but I highly doubt the trouble-makers will get trigger happy with that level of people/police presence around. I believe most of the violence in Parramore is drug-related (self-contained between parties) except for a few outliers of course. Crime is everywhere though...

You should've seen the place back in the 1980's. There was a Liquor World store on Parramore where they actually had a drive through, after hours "drug store" in the alley. Cash-only.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

@JFW657 Hmm, I can only imagine... but I'm very curious about how you knew it was cash-only??:huh::P

I have a horror story to share... I used to live in the Mills/50 district after graduating high-school ~2001. Rented a house with various roommates/friends. Our Vietnamese landlord/shop-owner began renting out the empty rooms to random people of his choosing since we couldn't fill the "vacancies". One of the new mystery tenants who moved in had a drug problem unbeknownst to us. I was young, too nice, naive, very sheltered... and blinded by his beauty :wub:. Anyway he didn't have a car so I would foolishly let him borrow mine, but squashed that after he borrowed my car one day and didn't show up until 24-48 hours later lol. Red flag #1. One night he has the balls to ask to borrow the car again to go to a party. I offer to drive him, because well... he's pretty and parties were priorities. This was Pre-GPS era so I'm following his directions and driving around in the dark. After stopping off at one of the nearby Vietnamese restaurants to pick up some cash (2nd Red flag) we continue driving on some back roads and suddenly I'm in the scary part of Parramore. I've always been horrible at directions/navigation so I didn't realize where I was until it was too late. I was pissed, but also terrified. Our windows were down since this was my first car; a beater with finicky air conditioning. We stop in front of a house near a huge block party and suddenly the car gets swarmed by people reaching inside the car from what seemed like all directions and at that point I literally have an out of body experience lol. "What you want? What you need?"- they were drug dealers selling us drugs. My passenger hands them some cash and within seconds they bring back some drugs. I'm literally frozen watching all of this happen like a dream. My roommate has to command me to drive bc I can't move, meanwhile there's a cop literally parked down the street doing jack sht and now I have drugs in my car. Fun times.

Edited by nite owℓ
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I have walked to every soccer game I went to in the new stadium. There is no problem at all and a lot of nice people all around, from my experience. Some of the local neighborhood residents also cook some great food that they sell to fans on game day. Couple of local hangouts you can go to including Yard Bar Beergarden and Broken Cauldron. Good times hanging out and great food. It is a fun experience to walk around and enjoy the sights and sounds, and absorb the energy around you in the march to the match. 

Hoping the team plays better in future home games,  but I always had a great time on game day no matter what. 

Edited by dcluley98
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, JFW657 said:

You should've seen the place back in the 1980's. There was a Liquor World store on Parramore where they actually had a drive through, after hours "drug store" in the alley. Cash-only.

The good 'ol Dixie Doodle Lounge. Dad would take that way back after the shaq-penny days.

--Wait, are we in the coffee house???

Edited by jgardnerucf
Tangent
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, orange87 said:

I've never been to an Orlando City Soccer game. I'm going to one later this month. I just looked at a map to see the area I drove near that I was referring to as "bad," and it actually might not have been Parramore. I drove in the area between W Amelia and W Colonial, especially near N Westmoreland. I thought that was considered Parramore. Maybe I was wrong. I literally felt afraid driving through there.

Anyway, only reason I brought this up originally was because I'm going to an Orlando City Soccer game and I didn't know if I was going to have to walk a long ways through a bad area. Am I able to park in the Geico Garage for the Orlando City Soccer game? Doesn't seem like too far of a walk, and the game is during the day so it should be fine.

Park at The Plaza.  Walk down Church St.  Don't they have a big mob of fans that start on Church St. and head west?  

Yeah, and then you can bar hop all the way there and go to some of the hot spots at the Magic Entertainment Complex along the way...oh, wait...

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I've been to practically every home game for years, it's very safe.  The lack of on-site parking was purposeful, to encourage folks to park and go out downtown then "march" to the match (as is common in most European soccer leagues).  OCSC fans got a little comfortable with American football style tailgates at the citrus bowl - which are super fun, don't get me wrong - but wasn't the atmosphere the city or team had in mind.  It is very frustrating, however, to walk past the demolished garage that had ground floor retail across from Amway which is now a surface lot, and a little disheartening to  then walk past the empty lot next to the stadium (where the stadium would have been, if not for the greedy church).   When these lots fill in the walk up Church st will be more aesthetically pleasing, but it's alway full of fans, cops, and revelers on game nights.

Geico garage is always open for the matches, but considering your concerns, I recommend parking at the suntrust center garage.  You exit onto church st in front of 55 west with plenty of people eating and drinking for those blocks, cross under i4 (they took down the pretty lights for the I4 ultimate, but I assume they will be back) and march with a few 100 others up to the stadium.  Alternatively, you can park in one of the "ghetto??" lots being operated by business owners north of the stadium (closed stores, mostly) and hang out at the Yard bar before going in the game.  It's essentially tailgating.  We alternate between those options.  My young kids come most games and we've never encountered anything more off-putting than the usual grift of urban living (occasional panhandlers, infrequent strange looking homeless people, and large crowds of drunk fans), but they've always lived in the city and don't pay much attention.  Last option: Uber.  We do it when the kids aren't coming and I want to be one of those drunk fans...

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, dcluley98 said:

That was in the latest ARB report as well: http://www.cityoforlando.net/city-planning/wp-content/uploads/sites/27/2018/03/ARB2017-10009reportMarch2018.pdf

Here is the new rendering: 

Also LOL at the shopping bags and the Lambo and Ferrari. Why do the architects making these things always insist on doing that? Hahaha. I bet those people had a great time shopping at the Lake Eola Amphitheater retail destination.  

Maybe they were just at the homeless feeding and are now sneaking their free food back into the hotel in the shopping bags. :P

  • Haha 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.