sunshine

Downtown Orlando Project Discussion

It means they are doing geo-technical testing of the site. This is done by taking a soil "core" which is pretty much a plastic tube they fill up with dirt in order to determine the soil composition and any potential contamination or hazardous materials. It is one of the initial indicators that a site is planning to be sold or developed, as this and surveying usually take place at this phase before civil design process can begin. 

• Like 4

Ri

1 hour ago, spenser1058 said:

I'm guessing since the address is Orange Center Blvd that it's the redo of the Bunche Manor apartments near Gore and Tampa just west of the Citrus Bowl.

Right near Orange Center Elementary

• Like 1

10 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

I'm guessing since the address is Orange Center Blvd that it's the redo of the Bunche Manor apartments near Gore and Tampa just west of the Citrus Bowl.

It is - the Lift Orlando project. 

Edited by smileguy
Fixed the video
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, popsiclebrandon said:

I believe they outsourced their printing a while ago.

IIRC, it's done in Lake County now. Which makes sense - closer to the retirees between there and The Villages that still get the dead tree version. (I'm old, but I've been subscribing online for 20 years.)

• Like 1

I go by there all the time.  They've been gutting the Sentinel for the better part of 3 weeks now.  There's a few dumpsters at all the loading areas and some of the bay's doors are boarded up.  It's not going to take much to move the newsroom into one of the nearby office buildings and level the whole block.   Right now Wawa uses most of it to store trucks.  Wood has their surveying group based out of there, but signage is still AMEC which was 2 mergers ago.

Edited by codypet
  • Like 2

23 minutes ago, codypet said:

I go by there all the time.  They've been gutting the Sentinel for the better part of 3 weeks now.  There's a few dumpsters at all the loading areas and some of the bay's doors are boarded up.  It's not going to take much to move the newsroom into one of the nearby office buildings and level the whole block.   Right now Wawa uses most of it to store trucks.  Wood has their surveying group based out of there, but signage is still AMEC which was 2 mergers ago.

Originally, the newsroom was staying put. Has that changed? That has a cool, open-air 50's vibe I'd rather not lose. Plus the clock!

I know they outsourced the printing a while back, but they seem to be getting ready to do something there. That was my point. I hadn't noticed them slowly gutting the building as Cody said they were until today when I saw the presses. 

I have not heard any updates at all since probably 2016. Last I remember was a multi-phase mid-rise mixed-use development with about 400 units per phase, 4-5 stories with ground floor retail, parking garage. Phase II  was about the same but they added a hotel and some office space.  I remember it being really ugly looking massing plans with a courtyard in the middle. 

• Like 1

OK, I found this from last year about the plan to shut down the printing press operations. It sounds as though the papers will be printed by the News-Journal and Ledger.

Indications are the newsroom stays put, at least until somebody in Chicago changes their mind.

Scott Powers worked for the Sentinel for years, so probably has decent sources on this.

http://floridapolitics.com/archives/239624-orlando-sentinel-shutting-printing-plant

From Florida Politics

Edited by spenser1058

3 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

Indications are the newsroom stays put, at least until somebody in Chicago changes their mind.

I understand that the entire newsroom was recently "laid off" and asked to re-apply for their positions under yet another restructure.  I wonder how long the paper will last.

Updated Golden Sparrow renderings (sorry if these are a repost, I didn't see them in any threads yet). Really hope this project happens. It'd transform that part of Orange:

Screen Shot 2018-04-12 at 11.53.42 PM.png

Screen Shot 2018-04-12 at 11.53.18 PM.png

Screen Shot 2018-04-12 at 11.53.05 PM.png

• Like 1

7 hours ago, smileguy said:

I understand that the entire newsroom was recently "laid off" and asked to re-apply for their positions under yet another restructure.  I wonder how long the paper will last.

Of course, things may have changed, but for years, the Sentinel was more profitable than the Chicago Tribune which owned it after 1976. As a result, I suspect if Tronc continues to fall apart, someone, be it GateHouse (meh) or Poynter (yay!) will take over. 

Whether a new owner would keep the downtown newsroom is another matter. (Cox, which owns WFTV, infamously abandoned downtown Atlanta for their flagship daily and moved out to the Perimeter *sigh*.)

15 hours ago, IAmFloridaBorn said:

What is replacing the newspaper place?

There was talk of redevelopment back in 2014, including the massing model below, but the Orlando Sentinel's lease still has some renewals left. More here.

Orlando-Sentinel-Development-2b-e1409323

Midtown has always said they were fine sitting on their properties for a long while.  Was relieved when the empty lot next to Crescent changed hands last month

4 hours ago, alex said:

There was talk of redevelopment back in 2014, including the massing model below, but the Orlando Sentinel's lease still has some renewals left. More here.

Orlando-Sentinel-Development-2b-e1409323

I'd rather the lot sit empty for a while than for something with this massing to come to such a prime location. We don't need another Crescent here.

• Like 2