Downtown Orlando Project Discussion

sunshine

On ‎4‎/‎14‎/‎2018 at 1:04 AM, Don't Talk To ME said:

They reportedly have a big handful of editorial lay-offs coming

It hasn't looked like there has been an editor in sight at the OS for a decade now.  Who could they possibly lay off?

Their articles aren't even spellchecked sometimes.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, spenser1058 said:

Tampa's been waiting to be America's Next Great City since the '70's. Maybe this will do the trick.

Tampa seems to be doing much better than Orlando development-wise. 

Not only is this building getting built; but the massive Water Street Tampa project  broke ground this week.

And a new $800 million baseball stadium will be built in Ybor City.

Why is Tampa doing better than Orlando?  I honestly don't think it's economy is that much better than Orlando's.  Tampa reminds me of Orlando without Disney (with maybe a slightly better corporate presence).

Is it leadership? 

To your comment, a 50-story building does NOT make for a great city.  

Jobs jobs jobs.

Edited by I am Reality

I disagree. I'm in Tampa twice every week. These proposals look nice but a lot of the new construction is very very bland. One building about to be finished is literally a giant grey box with little windows, I swear it looks like a prison. 

Most of the new construction is bland, even by Orlando standards. 

Then there's areas like West Shore with ugly, generic apartment buildings similar to what we see going in SoDo but in Westshore they rarely have any retail and all are independent with walkability almost impossible. Traffic is nightmare since none of the parking lots connect. 

Tampa has promise but it still has a long ways to go to even be on the same level as Orlando. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Tampa is growing more slowly than Orlando (OC will be larger than Hillsborough within 20 years at current rates.)

Tampa has a downtown that to date no one really wants to live in.

If you think Orlando is anti-transit, you ain't seen anything compared to Tampa Bay..

MLB exists  for Tampa Bay because of a ridiculous lawsuit that St Pete came up with, not Tampa. Given that the only baseball fans west of the Trop are fish, it stands to reason they want to move across the Bay.

Meanwhile, Orlando has NBA and the faster-growing sport, MLS. The Rowdies just missed their chance again for the better league.

All of that and Tampa, thanks to its port, was bigger than Orlando for half a century. Sorry, we stack up just fine vs. them.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, spenser1058 said:

Tampa is growing more slowly than Orlando (OC will be larger than Hillsborough within 20 years at current rates.)

Tampa has a downtown that to date no one really wants to live in.

If you think Orlando is anti-transit, you ain't seen anything compared to Tampa Bay..

MLB exists  for Tampa Bay because of a ridiculous lawsuit that St Pete came up with, not Tampa. Given that the only baseball fans west of the Trop are fish, it stands to reason they want to move across the Bay.

Meanwhile, Orlando has NBA and the faster-growing sport, MLS. The Rowdies just missed their chance again for the better league.

All of that and Tampa, thanks to its port, was bigger than Orlando for half a century. Sorry, we stack up just fine vs. them.

Low-wage economy v. Low-wage economy.

In economic terms, I have no interest whatsoever comparing Orlando to Tampa. There're both rock-bottom in wages. 

My question was more about development. Why is Tampa doing better? 

(And by the way...I too have spent a lot of time in Tampa.  People in Tampa could give a rip about Orlando.)

The new baseball stadium is far from a "done deal". Though I think it would be a great deal for the area and in that location would benefit from Disney.

As far as development activity, the maps indicate Orlando has more going on, but I did not drill down to look at the numbers associated with each project.

https://www.bizjournals.com/orlando/maps/crane-watch

https://www.bizjournals.com/tampabay/maps/crane-watch

1 hour ago, I am Reality said:

Low-wage economy v. Low-wage economy.

In economic terms, I have no interest whatsoever comparing Orlando to Tampa. There're both rock-bottom in wages. 

My question was more about development. Why is Tampa doing better? 

(And by the way...I too have spent a lot of time in Tampa.  People in Tampa could give a rip about Orlando.)

The real question is "Why is downtown Tampa doing better in terms of development while still being so dull and boring?"

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, AmIReal said:

The new baseball stadium is far from a "done deal". Though I think it would be a great deal for the area and in that location would benefit from Disney.

As far as development activity, the maps indicate Orlando has more going on, but I did not drill down to look at the numbers associated with each project.

https://www.bizjournals.com/orlando/maps/crane-watch

https://www.bizjournals.com/tampabay/maps/crane-watch

I would agree the stadium deal is not a done-deal.

Financing may be a problem.

If they don't put a financing-package together, the Rays will be looking elsewhere.

The current lease in St. Pete ends in 2027.

You listening Orlando? 

Tampa is taking its verticality AND its quality of architecture to another level. Heck, drop $4 billion dollars into downtown Lubbock and I'd want to vacation there. That's the magnitude of what's happening in Tampa. On the other hand, ask Tampa urbanists and they'll tell you they have the worst transit in the nation. They do have a vintage streetcar system. But no commuter rail. And the city government prefers BRT to rail. That said, if it does get Brightline, it would likely go to downtown.

1 minute ago, gibby said:

I did a day trip to downtown Tampa via Amtrak a few weeks ago and I was very impressed.  The Riverwalk is really excellent and Ybor is great.  There was way more downtown residential that I had expected.

It's definitely coming around.