Downtown Orlando Project Discussion

sunshine

Any of you Expressway authority types explain to me the right hand run up lane on WB 408 at the I-4 off ramp? You know the one that allows all of the folks that are too good to wait in traffic to creep up the clear lane on your passenger side? You can make as many flyovers as you want but until they find a way to not allow people to cut in at the last minute congestion will continue to be a problem.

Any of you Expressway authority types explain to me the right hand run up lane on WB 408 at the I-4 off ramp? You know the one that allows all of the folks that are too good to wait in traffic to creep up the clear lane on your passenger side? You can make as many flyovers as you want but until they find a way to not allow people to cut in at the last minute congestion will continue to be a problem.

Looks to me that its the future lane for the 408WB to I-4EB ramp that's being built. You'll then have 2 lanes that exit onto I-4.

Looks to me that its the future lane for the 408WB to I-4EB ramp that's being built. You'll then have 2 lanes that exit onto I-4.

Sounds reasonable to me. That said they at least need to block cars from getting over (left to right) just past the Rosalind exit. I dare say that most people running to the front of the line knew that their exit was coming up already, its just that sense of entitlement.

Sounds reasonable to me. That said they at least need to block cars from getting over (left to right) just past the Rosalind exit. I dare say that most people running to the front of the line knew that their exit was coming up already, its just that sense of entitlement.

I think you're giving people on the road too much credit. I think there are more people on the road on thier cell phones or just generally not paying attention and that right lane sneaks up on them.

I think you're giving people on the road too much credit. I think there are more people on the road on thier cell phones or just generally not paying attention and that right lane sneaks up on them.

...yeah... but, I've encountered enough @ssholes on the roads in this city where I can honestly say that most of the time they are driving with the intent of cutting you off at the last second... it's an aggressive driving style where noone wants to wait. what can you do?

that is a huge project. what an improvement just with that one ramp. once they open up the 408 WB to I-4 EB that will make an even bigger impact. I think that one's next.

Has anyone traveled on that new ramp? It is really really sharp! You have to slow wayyyy down to make the curve. It looks like someone already went over the edge. There isn't even guardrail or barrier wall there and it looks like its a pretty steep slope.

133795.jpg

"During the past few weeks drivers who commute to downtown Orlando have witnessed several improvements and modifications that change how they get around town. As the I-4 and SR 408 interim interchange moves forward, drivers can look forward to several more milestones in 2008. These include:

* A new I-4 westbound exit to Anderson Street (spring 2008)

* A new entrance ramp from Hughey Avenue to westbound I-4 (spring 2008)

* A new ramp from westbound SR 408 to eastbound I-4 (summer 2008)

* A new eastbound I-4 exit ramp to Garland Avenue (summer 2008)

Completion of improvements to South Street, Anderson Street, and I-4 auxiliary lanes between Anderson Street and Amelia Street are also anticipated this summer."

Light Rail would be good from Stanford to Tampa Bay on I-4. It would have also lines going to the East to OIA,Beaches,Sea World,408,436,Kennedy Space Center,Kissimmee,so on and to the West Disney World,441,19,50,1792 past Disney World and so on. Also could have Lines on Florida Turnpike,95,75 and so on.

A Subway system might work here because it's underground from Stanford to Tampa Bay along I-4 with same as above but underground.

Edited by mgsports

Light Rail would be good by OIA and Disney World/other Attractions and in Seminole County.

I would say in that Picture that their would be a Fly over Ramp.

A Subway system might work here.

:dontknow: Isn't that picture of the I-4 westbound ramp for the new Anderson overpass? If i'm not mistaken that's your typical half-diamond interchange.

How would a subway system work? I'd think you'd be constantly pumping water out of it, and the majority of the commuting public is 10-15+ miles out. Wouldn't it cost a fortune?

What kind of route are you thinking for the light rail? Along the Beeline? I think they tried to do that once. My memory is a bit foggy. :dontknow:

Edited by codypet

133795.jpg

"During the past few weeks drivers who commute to downtown Orlando have witnessed several improvements and modifications that change how they get around town. As the I-4 and SR 408 interim interchange moves forward, drivers can look forward to several more milestones in 2008. These include:

* A new I-4 westbound exit to Anderson Street (spring 2008)

* A new entrance ramp from Hughey Avenue to westbound I-4 (spring 2008)

* A new ramp from westbound SR 408 to eastbound I-4 (summer 2008)

* A new eastbound I-4 exit ramp to Garland Avenue (summer 2008)

Completion of improvements to South Street, Anderson Street, and I-4 auxiliary lanes between Anderson Street and Amelia Street are also anticipated this summer."

what I'm wondering is when are they going to start on the Phase II of the interchange once these first set of improvements are done... immediately thereafter, of a few more years down the road?

I ask b/c of the bottleneck that still would occur when I-4 EB traffic tries to get on 408 EB... the 408 WB lane always seems to be empty there...

what I'm wondering is when are they going to start on the Phase II of the interchange once these first set of improvements are done... immediately thereafter, of a few more years down the road?

I ask b/c of the bottleneck that still would occur when I-4 EB traffic tries to get on 408 EB... the 408 WB lane always seems to be empty there...

I agree I think the worst back up is from UCF to Disney and vise versa. It blows my mind that they didn't fix this first. The only indication from Trans4mation indicates construction to start on the new interchange in 2016.

:dontknow: Isn't that picture of the I-4 westbound ramp for the new Anderson overpass? If i'm not mistaken that's your typical half-diamond interchange.

How would a subway system work? I'd think you'd be constantly pumping water out of it, and the majority of the commuting public is 10-15+ miles out. Wouldn't it cost a fortune?

What kind of route are you thinking for the light rail? Along the Beeline? I think they tried to do that once. My memory is a bit foggy. :dontknow:

While I agree that a subway is not a good idea here, considering the issues and unused land we have to work with, it's worth noting that other major subway systems deal with this same problem.

This is from the NY Sun in 2006:

On a dry and sunny day his department's 700 or so pumps, at about 280 locations, push 13 million gallons of water out of the subway system and into New York City's sewers. That's the equivalent of all the wastewater produced by the city of Boca Raton, Fla., every day.

And on a wet day?

"It's more water than I can measure," Mr.Velaszquez said.

13 Million gallons is enough to supply about 50k homes each day with potable water.

New Orleans no doubt has the same issues citywide. But anyway, it's beyond stupid for us to not have mass transit for capative 'audiences' like tourists going to Disney and Universal.

Yeah it's not popular to build transit for non-residents, but that should be able to be sold pretty easily as they are the most likely lines to pay for themselves and they will result in the most (and most lost) traffic being taken off the streets.

Oh well....instead we applaud brand new freeways to and around the hinterlands to subsidize developers of farm, swamp and even former bombing range land.

Edited by neon9

Some transportation (oil) related articles...

Corn (ethanol) can't save us

...consider that 20 percent of the U.S. corn crop was converted into 5 billion gallons of ethanol in 2006, but that amount replaced only 1 percent of U.S. oil consumption. If the entire national corn crop were used to make ethanol, it would replace a mere 7% of U.S. oil consumption -- far from making the U.S. independent of foreign oil.

Greenspan: Growth at zero, boom in oil prices will 'go on forever'

Not really as we can't get pluck hydrogen out of the air and use it for free, we have to retrieve it from some other compounds which takes energy and may cause just as much polution as traditional fuels depending on the method used. TINSTAAFL !

Link to hydrogen production pdf

Not really as we can't get pluck hydrogen out of the air and use it for free, we have to retrieve it from some other compounds which takes energy and may cause just as much polution as traditional fuels depending on the method used. TINSTAAFL !

Link to hydrogen production pdf

Truly, I'm reading that book now...

But, I thought hydrogen was the most abundant element? It should be free, dammnit! Where is my hydrogen economy!?!

:rofl:

Maitland BLVD Extension has started, Story in today's Newspaper. Means more land to development Office,Commercial Buildings and also more Stop Lights.

but it also means I can take 414 to 429 initially and bypass downtown Apopka as could all the semis transporting goods and clogging the roads.

Maitland BLVD Extension has started, Story in today's Newspaper. Means more land to development Office,Commercial Buildings and also more Stop Lights.

From what I have read, most of this project especially phase I is going to be elevated. With something like 20 bridges or so and very few on and off ramps, I see little commercial development in this area just the planned residential neighborhoods. The interchange plans for US 441 and the existing Maitland Blvd look to flow very well. This going to be a very welcomed road when everything is done.

From what I have read, most of this project especially phase I is going to be elevated. With something like 20 bridges or so and very few on and off ramps, I see little commercial development in this area just the planned residential neighborhoods. The interchange plans for US 441 and the existing Maitland Blvd look to flow very well. This going to be a very welcomed road when everything is done.

But until then, even when they get the leg done from 441 to 429, the 429 will be backed up for a couple miles at 441 where it terminates now. I dont see a reason to build the leg from 441 to 429 without building the other leg at the same time, traffic backs up now for a mile or so at rush hour to get on 441 past apopka. Then once that second leg is done from 429 to 441 near plymouth sorrento, that road and 441 will be a horrible mess going into mt. dora. It is going to creat more residential and industrial developement out that way, not much commercial at all, infact it looks as if a ginormous industrial warehouse is going up in the 429/414 interchange area right now.