Downtown Orlando Project Discussion

sunshine

On 12/20/2017 at 7:23 AM, steve_o said:

I believe this may be dead.  The lots are all up for sale listed by the agents originally promoting this project.  

This project is back and it looks great.  It's a shame to lose those older homes but this is a great looking design.  Hopefully, we will see more projects like this in the areas near Summerlin.

http://www.cityoforlando.net/city-planning/wp-content/uploads/sites/27/2018/07/ARB2018-10019report.pdf

• Like 1

I also agree with selling off the Eastern triangle portion of land. I don't like the new streetwall design, mainly because of durability issues. The drunken rabid animals will be sure to ruin the flimsy aluminum picket fencing along the perimeter. The existing retaining wall is high enough to deter people from sitting/climbing on it, plus the entire thing is concrete so which makes it pretty durable to stand up to the abuse of being located in AC-3 zoning area.

9 hours ago, gibby said:

This project is back and it looks great.  It's a shame to lose those older homes but this is a great looking design.  Hopefully, we will see more projects like this in the areas near Summerlin.

http://www.cityoforlando.net/city-planning/wp-content/uploads/sites/27/2018/07/ARB2018-10019report.pdf

Blech!  That is bland!  My wife and I walk up to the yellow house with our dog and let the old folks pet and play with her.   I'm sure its not going to be pleasant for those old folks while construction is going on.

Edited by codypet
  • Like 1

From the ARB

"ARB staff is impressed with the caliber of the proposed design and the forward thinking approach of Highwoods Properties.  The entire re-design is appropriately scaled with sophistically simple details that unite the property under a common theme and aesthetic flavor. "

i-do-not-think-it-means-what-you-think-it-means.jpg

• Like 2

On 7/16/2018 at 10:54 PM, gibby said:

It looks like an office building. That part of Thornton Park is the Maitland of downtown. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, I am Reality said:

Some tidbits:

On the table: Another hotel or a new apartment complex, said Austin Stahley, Lincoln Property Co.’s Florida region director. 

On the office side, Phase 2's pre-leasing has started, but no leases have been signed. Companies potentially vying for space range from engineering groups to law firms, with some companies wanting to enter downtown from other Central Florida submarkets. In addition, some potential tenants weren’t able to find space in the first tower but want to be in the second. “We’ve been pleased with the amount of traffic we’ve gotten,” Stahley said.

5 hours ago, bqknight said:

Some tidbits:

On the table: Another hotel or a new apartment complex, said Austin Stahley, Lincoln Property Co.’s Florida region director. 

On the office side, Phase 2's pre-leasing has started, but no leases have been signed. Companies potentially vying for space range from engineering groups to law firms, with some companies wanting to enter downtown from other Central Florida submarkets. In addition, some potential tenants weren’t able to find space in the first tower but want to be in the second. “We’ve been pleased with the amount of traffic we’ve gotten,” Stahley said.

Are they talking about CSP Phase II?

5 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

The Downtown Orlando Ambassadors program officially rolls out today. It could be a great program if they have enough man (and woman!) power and the right training to work through situations. Here's hoping.

https://www.clickorlando.com/news/downtown-ambassadors-program-officially-starts

From WKMG 6

It will keep those ____________'s from going down Magnolia in the wrong direction and keep them off the Lymmo lanes...

Colonial and Magnolia Retail and Self-Storage.

Significantly updated the architectural treatements and added glazing per the ARB's request. I like the architectural treatment, but note that there was a ground floor "arcade" like design along the building and the new renderings show that it is gone along the Colonial and Magnolia storefronts with the ground floor being build out closer to the curb and no covered walkway. Would have been nice to kee covered arcade on the corner. Overall an improved look, but sill not the greatest.  I wonder if they increased the footprint of groundfloor to gain more retail space or some other reason?

Pages from ARB2017-10020report_Page_1.png

Pages from ARB2017-10020report_Page_3.png

Edited by dcluley98

50 minutes ago, dcluley98 said:

Couple of updates on projects in latest City reports:

Travelodge Replacement Hotel. Initial basing renderings are up in the MPB. Pretty Meh on initial design, but I like the glass. 

Pages from MPBStaffReport2018-07_MPL2018-10023_Page_2.png

Pages from MPBStaffReport2018-07_MPL2018-10023_Page_3.png

Pages from MPBStaffReport2018-07_MPL2018-10023_Page_4.png

I like it.  Wow.  What a difference.  Very similar to the effect Steelhouse had on the corner of 50 & Orange compared to how it was prior.

2 hours ago, dcluley98 said:

Colonial and Magnolia Retail and Self-Storage.

Significantly updated the architectural treatements and added glazing per the ARB's request. I like the architectural treatment, but note that there was a ground floor "arcade" like design along the building and the new renderings show that it is gone along the Colonial and Magnolia storefronts with the ground floor being build out closer to the curb and no covered walkway. Would have been nice to kee covered arcade on the corner. Overall an improved look, but sill not the greatest.  I wonder if they increased the footprint of groundfloor to gain more retail space or some other reason?

Pages from ARB2017-10020report_Page_1.png

Pages from ARB2017-10020report_Page_3.png

Geez, they really uglied that thing up, didn't they?

Got rid of the pleasant, warm contrasting colors and replaced them with some kind of drab, grey muddy looking mess. That white arbor looking thing on the roof over the corners is less than impressive, and why did they replace the dentil molding along the cornice in the center section with that boring, featureless strip?

It looks like they went out of their way to remove anything remotely interesting.

ARB should stand for the Architectural Ruination Board.

Buncha maroons.

Edited by JFW657
  • Like 2