Downtown Orlando Project Discussion

sunshine

6 hours ago, jack said:

That has nothing to do with it. The buildings are reflective of its owners or potential buyers. We are a middle class city with middle class looking buildings. You need a CEO that builds something dramatic no matter the cost, or buyers that are spending $1,000 a foot (for condos). We have neither. 

Agree, I think.  I can't imaging a building owner just taking whatever design  BB wants to sell them.  While I have no insight into whether BB has an inside track into contracts, the building owner is the one with the vision and controls the purse strings.  They can say NO if BB or any other design house shows something they don't like.  Also, the size of a building is a function of the owners wallet, and what the owner thinks will get the best ROI.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, cwetteland said:

Agree, I think.  I can't imaging a building owner just taking whatever design  BB wants to sell them.  While I have no insight into whether BB has an inside track into contracts, the building owner is the one with the vision and controls the purse strings.  They can say NO if BB or any other design house shows something they don't like.  Also, the size of a building is a function of the owners wallet, and what the owner thinks will get the best ROI.

The owners/developers get financing via bank loans. The size of the building and expectation of ROI depend on current occupancy rates which in turn determine the level of need and demand for new office space.

On 8/11/2018 at 12:53 PM, jack said:

That has nothing to do with it. The buildings are reflective of its owners or potential buyers. We are a middle class city with middle class looking buildings. You need a CEO that builds something dramatic no matter the cost, or buyers that are spending $1,000 a foot (for condos). We have neither. 

On 8/11/2018 at 7:30 PM, cwetteland said:

Well, during the last boom, I was close with colleagues at a major GC and that’s where I got the skinny on BB.  But if you had a pulse during the boom and followed the construction of projects downtown and who got the contracts, it is pretty obvious that there was favoritism and influence in landing BB those contracts.  There’s no such thing as coincidence.  Money dictates, but when BB presents a builder with a project catered towards his or her bottom line, they go with it, whether it’s the John Hancock Center or a building in a middle class city that looks middle class.

I think people on these boards need to see the reality from the developer’s perspective a little better.  When they value engineer a project that the City is ok with that gets the DDB approval that will only cost X and looks ok, why would the developer say no?  If BB made his target price possible for construction, why say no?  Why, because deep down you wanted them to design the Transamerica Pyramid instead?  What do you care?  You’re gonna be swimming in cheddar because of your new building.  

Why do you work?  To make money.  Why become a developer?  To make money.  Do you really care if people on urban planet criticize your wood framed apartment building for being on the cheap side when it is 90% leased?  No you don’t.  That’s the reality.  And if BB comes up with a design that helps you get to that goal, then why would you say no even if you aren’t sold on the design.  That’s a debate for an architecture class discussion, but not in the real world.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, gibby said:

There are plenty of developers that don't want to value engineer down to the last nickel on projects and who do want to have a good looking product when everything is finished.

Well, that has nothing to do with my original points, that BB has an inside track to landing projects downtown by having membership on the DDB.  And to my point that they are in fact landing those projects, which is why downtown is full of visors, regardless of whether a developer may disagree with some of their designs.  Evidently not since they are the architects of record on most of these projects.  And my point was in response to the question of why buildings downtown look so bland or unimaginative if those were the terms used.

Oh, and those developers that you describe probably design multi-million dollar houses in nice parts of town that have already been closed on.

But you said “want.”  You didn’t say they actually “do”.  I didn’t judge their intent; only commented on their actions.

8 minutes ago, Jernigan said:

Nuziata brothers have bought the train depot.   Looking to bring in a national retailer.   These guys pulled it off with Walgreens so I’m excited 

Back in the Market/Exchange days it was an ice cream parlor with a lot of wasted space. I'm not sure why no one seems to be able to make it work. I'm trying to think what national retailer would like an odd space like that but nothing comes to mind. OTOH, I never would have imagined a Walgreens without a pharmacy, either. I'm glad they're more creative than I am!

19 minutes ago, Jernigan said:

Nuziata brothers have bought the train depot.   Looking to bring in a national retailer.   These guys pulled it off with Walgreens so I’m excited 

Here is the possibly overlooked beauty with this:  Ferg's left a week or two ago.  These guys come in fairly quickly to bring in a national retailer.  The point is there are some cities historically where a business shuts down and the space stays vacant.  Not quite the case in Orlando, which is a great phenomenon.

• Like 3

Part of the sales pitch to Walgreens is the downtown traffic  may not be where you want it to be but if you wait your gonna miss out.   They were able to close that deal and now that UCF is a certainty and the hotel is going vertical at Church, I’m sure they are salivating to do it again 

• Like 1

Reopening the train depot as a semi public / private space that incorporates mixed use businesses (coffee, kiosks, cafes etc.) might give it the foot traffic needed to help businesses survive there. Who wants to stand in Orlando’s oppressive heat in the summer waiting for a train anyway?

Didnt these guys originally propose a Food Hall at the Walgreens? Maybe they’re up to it again.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

Back in the Market/Exchange days it was an ice cream parlor with a lot of wasted space. I'm not sure why no one seems to be able to make it work. I'm trying to think what national retailer would like an odd space like that but nothing comes to mind. OTOH, I never would have imagined a Walgreens without a pharmacy, either. I'm glad they're more creative than I am!

It was a convenience store for awhile back then, too. I used to go in there for sodas and chips, etc. 

Vertical Medical Village announced, "We have secured closing on both our #Downtown #Orlando and Downtown #Chicago Properties; in September/October we push MP forward into Site / Foundations Design Development for a Permit Package, to break ground on time at both locations."  I know many people here don't expect it to happen and there are some red flags but it does seem to be slowly but surely moving forward. I think Lake Nona shows that Orlando can be a medical research city. VMC is relying upon medical tech and that's something that's big in this area already. 

DUZhabPXkAIB64X.thumb.jpg.864819f190027a570b7746a394e45c63.jpg

• Like 3