Jump to content

Downtown Orlando Project Discussion


Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, klstorey said:

My friend grabbed some shots of downtown while flying into ORL. This one really shows how the I-4/408 interchange is coming along. f777b7fb380bb51ff2579fdd98c91f3a.jpg

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
 

In the words of one of  my two year old son favorite phrases. "Wwwooooowwwww"

 

It's looking like the FDOT video for sure. Coming along nicely.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Replies 8.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

My friend grabbed some shots of downtown while flying into ORL. This one really shows how the I-4/408 interchange is coming along.  Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

I think Lake Eola Park is one of the best urban parks in the country.  Today.  Haven't been to Orlando in 10 years or more and there is a lot more life downtown and around this park.  Great to see an

That was in the latest ARB report as well: http://www.cityoforlando.net/city-planning/wp-content/uploads/sites/27/2018/03/ARB2017-10009reportMarch2018.pdf Here is the new rendering:  A

Posted Images

12 hours ago, JFW657 said:

Bank of America Center, the Citrus Center and the One Orlando Centre. 

Bank of America Center - Location: 390 N. Orange Ave.

Renovations will focus on the lobby and courtyard. The renovations will open up the lobby into the courtyard and seating, lighting and covered areas in the outdoor space. On the second floor, the improvements include adding a new conference center, which the building currently doesn't have, for tenants to use. The conference center will be Wi-Fi equipped with a catering kitchen, a training room, two smaller conference rooms and a lounge. A fitness center in the building also is slated for renovation with new locker rooms and restrooms.

Citrus Center - Location: 255 S. Orange Ave.

All corridors and restrooms are expected to be renovated in the building. Additionally, renovations will continue in the lobby while Orlando-based New Moon Market, a juice bar, is expected to open in the lobby area.

One Orlando Centre - Location: 800 N. Magnolia Ave. 

Exterior renovations are planned for the building, along with furniture additions and a new conference center on the second floor. Updates are expected for the corridors and restrooms. Additionally, a rotating art gallery, in partnership with art organization Snap! Orlando, will be featured in the building.

Also, I had posted a link to an article earlier, about renovations planned for SunTrust Center after SunTrust moves into the new building.

So it's really four towers set to undergo renovations.

 

I appreciate you.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎8‎/‎2‎/‎2018 at 2:00 PM, I am Reality said:

Serious question . . . Why is architecture in Orlando so bland and uninspired? 

I have not seen an innovative design here since the old Pizzuti proposal.

The downtown has no identity at all, architecturally speaking. It's a total mismatch of buildings.  

We have perhaps the ugliest downtown building in the entire country. I want to implode the Fairwinds building every time I see it.  

The Bank of America building is almost as bad.  It's too wide at the base and too short to create any type of drama. It was supposed to be one of several other  similar-looking buildings at the old DuPont Center. That would have looked much better. Now it just stands alone and doesn't look right.

Do developers here even try to create anything distinctive?

I myself have joked about the plants proposed on the side of X Orlando. But at least it is distinctive. If other buildings did the same thing, the green building look could be Orlando's "thing", like some cities in Latin America. At least it would  be an identify and would be daring.

Other cities are trying all kinds of cool designs. The pic below is a $1 billion Frank Gehry-designed development going up in LA. It is super cool and daring. I am not comparing LA to Orlando. But I would love to see some more architectural ambition here.

IMG_0857.JPG

Count me as disgruntled for not getting the kind of architecture that ten-times-bigger global mega-city LA is getting.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

On ‎8‎/‎19‎/‎2018 at 12:41 PM, AndyPok1 said:

Definitely one of the coolest pics I've seen.  Impressed they were able to get that from a plane.

it must have been on a turn.  I didn't realize jets flew that close with course adjustments just south of downtown.   Well, maybe I did...I have seen jets flying south looking west past I-4.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Dale said:

Count me as disgruntled for not getting the kind of architecture that ten-times-bigger global mega-city LA is getting.

Ummm….you do know great architects don't just work in "global mega-cities" like LA, right? 

Frank Gehry in San Jose, Las Vegas, Cambridge (Mass), Cleveland, and Toledo (Ohio)

But we don't even need a Frank Gehry.   There are tons of really innovative designs floating around.  All it takes is a little imagination, which local developers and govt officials seem to lack. 

 

Frank Gehry San Jose.jpg

Frank Gehry, Las Vegas.jpg

Frank Gehry Cambridge Mass.jpg

Frank Gehry Cleveland.jpg

Frank Gehry Toledo.jpg

Edited by I am Reality
  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, jrs2 said:

it must have been on a turn.  I didn't realize jets flew that close with course adjustments just south of downtown.   Well, maybe I did...I have seen jets flying south looking west past I-4.

Not a jet. A Cessna 162 hobby plane for weekend fun. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, I am Reality said:

There are tons of really innovative designs floating around.  All it takes is a little imagination, which local developers and govt officials seem to lack. 

So I got a question: of all those designs you just posted (and the question is posed to everyone, not just you), which of them do you think would get approved by the DDB ?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Some of the celebrity architects who have designed buildings in the area: Michael Graves, Robert A.M. Stern, Cesar Pelli, Frank Lloyd Wright.

Also, Nils Schweizer (acolyte of Wright) and Barton Myers, who both designed noted buildings downtown.

Onward to Addison Mizner (helped plan the design for Rollins, which has won kudos as one of the most attractive college campuses in the U.S.)

Also: Milton Medary, architect of Bok Tower, whose fusion of Deco with Gothic is virtually unparalleled. While we're there, Frederick Law Olmsted, Jr. who designed the grounds.

Once again, there's this obsession that everything has to be in downtown Orlando. To assume that is to miss the very essence of the region.

 

Edited by spenser1058
Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, jgardnerucf said:

Is pic #3 the Marriott Residence Inn at Mama B's? :silly:

The Stata Center at MIT - a building universally hated by MIT students and administration alike for its inefficient design and a host of structural problems (Gehry was sued by the school shortly thereafter). Needless to say, Gehry hasnt worked in Boston ever since.

46 minutes ago, spenser1058 said:

Some of the celebrity architects who have designed buildings in the area: Michael Graves, Robert A.M. Stern, Cesar Pelli, Frank Lloyd Wright.

Also, Nils Schweizer (acolyte of Wright) and Barton Myers, who both designed noted buildings downtown.

Onward to Addison Mizner (helped plan the design for Rollins, which has won kudos as one of the most attractive college campuses in the U.S.)

Also: Milton Medary, architect of Bok Tower, whose fusion of Deco with Gothic is virtually unparalleled. While we're there, Frederick Law Olmsted, Jr. who designed the grounds.

Once again, there's this obsession that everything has to be in downtown Orlando. To assume that is to miss the very essence of the region.

 

A few others:  Graham Gund, John M Johansen

Edited by Ivanhoe
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

As Jernigan noted earlier, the Nunziata brothers have purchased the historic Church Street depot.

Now, they'd like to know what national retail tenant that you'd get all hot and bothered to have there.

They've even created a website so you can vote for your favorite:

https://www.makeorlandogreat.com/

Link to post
Share on other sites

Based on the responses, I must assume everyone is just delighted with the local architecture. 

I personally think it sucks.  It's totally unimaginative.  And everyone here knows it.  Everyone here talks about it frequently.  But I mentioned it . . . and now everything has changed.   Whatever.

In a related note . . can we end this notion that ANYONE is happy with the decentralized nature of Orlando?  If that is the case, everyone's comments totally belie them.  All  I hear are people desperate for Orlando to be a big-city with loads of downtown development.  That's my whole take-away from this.  

Let's at least be honest about our comments and our intentions on UrbanPlanet.  This is not an exercise in community boosterism.  It's a website about URBAN development with commenters literally begging for more urban development.  When I make a comment though, all of the sudden Orlando's greatest asset is it decentralized nature.  I say bullsh*t.  

Can we at least attempt to be consistent?

And if you'd rather talk about Lakeland or Bok Gardens, that is best saved for another website.  They have as much relationship to Orlando as Ocala.  They have no place on a website called UrbanPlanet. 

 

Edited by I am Reality
Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, I am Reality said:

Based on the responses, I must assume everyone is just delighted with the local architecture. 

I personally think it sucks.  It's totally unimaginative.  And everyone here knows it.  Everyone here talks about it frequently.  But I mentioned it . . . and now everything has changed.   Whatever.

In a related note . . can we end this notion that ANYONE is happy with the decentralized nature of Orlando?  If that is the case, everyone's comments totally belie them.  All  I hear are people desperate for Orlando to be a big-city with loads of downtown development.  That's my whole take-away from this.  

Let's at least be honest about our comments and our intentions on UrbanPlanet.  This is not an exercise in community boosterism.  It's a website about URBAN development with commenters literally begging for more urban development.  When I make a comment though, all of the sudden Orlando's greatest asset is it decentralized nature.  I say bullsh*t.  

Can we at least attempt to be consistent?

And if you'd rather talk about Lakeland or Bok Gardens, that is best saved for another website.  They have as much relationship to Orlando as Ocala.  They have no place on a website called UrbanPlanet. 

 

It’s your attitude we don’t like.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, I am Reality said:

And if you'd rather talk about Lakeland or Bok Gardens, that is best saved for another website.  They have as much relationship to Orlando as Ocala.  They have no place on a website called UrbanPlanet. 

 

You should spend more time in these places. It’s everything you rally for. A bit funny you are so unaware.

Edited by Ivanhoe
Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Ivanhoe said:

It’s your attitude we don’t like.

I don't give a rip if you like me or not.  There are very good odds I wouldn't like you either (if I actually knew you).  But I will withhold judgment.  That's how rational people think.

But given your distaste for me, kindly block me. I don't expect to ever hear from you again.  If I do, I will not respond. 

Edited by I am Reality
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, spenser1058 said:

As Jernigan noted earlier, the Nunziata brothers have purchased the historic Church Street depot.

Now, they'd like to know what national retail tenant that you'd get all hot and bothered to have there.

They've even created a website so you can vote for your favorite:

https://www.makeorlandogreat.com/

Chelsea Market concept? Yes please! 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.