Downtown Orlando Project Discussion

sunshine

6 minutes ago, I am Reality said:

I love the idea of a food hall.  I think we need to dial back the expectations though. 

The Chelsea Market is economically viable for a number of reasons. First, it is located in a huge (1 million+ square feet) office building.  There are a number of successful businesses and studios there.  My wife and kids attended a Food Network taping upstairs.  

The Chelsea Market is also the center of NYC's Google campus. The building itself is owned by Google.  Thousands of Google employees work in the market and surrounding buildings.  

The Chelsea Market is also located in NYC's most fashionable neightborhood and it's located on the High Line. It's also located a few minutes from the Financial District, one of the great employment centers in the world.  

My point is that the Chelsea Market is a once-in-a-lifetime kind of place. It cannot be easily reproduced just anywhere.  There is a reason why it make economic sense.

We need to think about something much less grandiose in Orlando.  A small food hall with a beer garden might work (and it would be my preferred choice).  Maybe something like the East End.   A Foxtail would work there as well (it would be preferred over ubiquitous Starbucks).  

I would avoid any soulless chains.

Stop being so small minded. Orlando should have a Chelsea Market already!

10 hours ago, I am Reality said:

I don't give a rip if you like me or not.  There are very good odds I wouldn't like you either (if I actually knew you).  But I will withhold judgment.  That's how rational people think.

But given your distaste for me, kindly block me. I don't expect to ever hear from you again.  If I do, I will not respond. 

Shan’t. I quite enjoy your uninformative posts with total lack of self-awareness.

I will continue to follow you in earnest.

18 hours ago, I am Reality said:

Ummm….you do know great architects don't just work in "global mega-cities" like LA, right? 

Frank Gehry in San Jose, Las Vegas, Cambridge (Mass), Cleveland, and Toledo (Ohio)

But we don't even need a Frank Gehry.   There are tons of really innovative designs floating around.  All it takes is a little imagination, which local developers and govt officials seem to lack. 

Frank Gehry San Jose.jpg

Frank Gehry, Las Vegas.jpg

Frank Gehry Cambridge Mass.jpg

Frank Gehry Cleveland.jpg

Frank Gehry Toledo.jpg

Well, why didn't you just say that you wanted something in Orlando that looks like a mess so we can talk about how cutting-edge we are ? FYI: the Gehry design for LA was proposed like a decade ago and is presumably value-engineered and possibly downside to get it limping across the finish line.

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Ivanhoe said:

As far as I’m concerned, your attack on people who work at Disney is much more offensive than anything said on this forum by anyone else. To each her own ;)

LOL.  

I will be passing the free-pass information to the Disney unions.  It's great stuff for their contract negotiations. 

Let me remind you . . . I am the ONLY person on UrbanPlanet who talks about living wages.  AT ALL.  It would be great to see Disney workers earning enough to move out of their cars or the roach-motels on 192.

An extra $1k per month would really help.  Is that somehow controversy?  

Some "attack"

I ask you again to block me.   I can only ask so many times.  

17 minutes ago, I am Reality said:

LOL.  

I will be passing the free-pass information to the Disney unions.  It's great stuff for their contract negotiations. 

Let me remind you . . . I am the ONLY person on UrbanPlanet who talks about living wages.  AT ALL.  It would be great to see Disney workers earning enough to move out of their cars or the roach-motels on 192.

An extra $1k per month would really help.  Is that somehow controversy?  

Some "attack"

I ask you again to block me.   I can only ask so many times.  

This is not correct.  There are plenty of well informed people here who have something to say about the state of the Orlando economy.

If only you would give them the oxygen...

Here is a national survey of the best city skylines conducted among 25k+ people.  

Suprisingly, Orlando did not make the top 50.  By my unofficial court, 32 of the cities in the top 50 are roughly the same size as Orlando, or smaller (much smaller, in some cases).

I personally think the people are sleeping on the Orlando skyline.  

Where would you rank Orlando on this list?

I would likely place it somewhere around #34, right after Tampa.  It may change somewhat after the Church Street tower adds more density and the CV buildings extend westward.  

I also would also seriously consider dropping it a couple of spots just for the Fairwinds building. 

https://m.ranker.com/list/best-american-skylines/ranker-travel

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Dale said:

Well, why didn't you just say that you wanted something in Orlando that looks like a mess so we can talk about how cutting-edge we are ? FYI: the Gehry design for LA was proposed like a decade ago and is presumably value-engineered and possibly downside to get it limping across the finish line.

I hate that ridiculous, gimmicky looking Gehry schlockitecture.

2 hours ago, I am Reality said:

Here is a national survey of the best city skylines conducted among 25k+ people.  

Suprisingly, Orlando did not make the top 50.  By my unofficial court, 32 of the cities in the top 50 are roughly the same size as Orlando, or smaller (much smaller, in some cases).

I would likely place it somewhere around #34, right after Tampa.  It may change somewhat after the Church Street tower adds more density and the CV buildings extend westward.  

I also would also seriously consider dropping it a couple of spots just for the Fairwinds building. 

Yeah, I agree. I mean, Anchorage #28? I would put Orlando in the mid-30's. These articles always feel so click-baity and something like this is so subjective anyways. Orlando doesn't have any significantly tall buildings (and I don't suspect it will in the near future). I guess right now there isn't a great vantage point that really encompasses the breadth of the Orlando skyline and it lacks a signature building/feature. I currently live in a high rise south of Eola with a nice but incomplete view of downtown from the balcony. Having just moved here from New Orleans, I would say that, moreso than tall buildings, this place needs more hip locales for eating/drinking/listening to music.  Having said that, we've been to some great restaurants so far and I'm a big fan of running around Lake Eola.

Edited by opivys85
mis-typed
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, opivys85 said:

Yeah, I agree. I mean, Anchorage #28? I would put Orlando in the mid-30's. These articles always feel so click-baity and something like this is so subjective anyways. Orlando doesn't have any significantly tall buildings (and I don't suspect it will in the near future). I guess right now there isn't a great vantage point that really encompasses the breadth of the Orlando skyline and it lacks a signature building/feature. I currently live in a high rise south of Eola with a nice but incomplete view of downtown from the balcony. Having just moved here from New Orleans, I would say that, moreso than tall buildings, this place needs more hip locales for eating/drinking/listening to music.  Having said that, we've been to some great restaurants so far and I'm a big fan of running around Lake Eola.

Since you mentioned hip locales for music, I'll put this here rather than Mills/50. Deep in this intown residential neighborhood, it's the Person Cave. It looks to be to listening spaces what Maxine's on Shine is for foodies.

http://bungalower.com/2018/08/20/garage-turned-gathering-space-rocking-colonialtown-neighborhood/

There's also Will's Pub on Mills and I'll let Andy tell you about spots for music along Orange Ave downtown.

From Bungalower

25 minutes ago, spenser1058 said:

Since you mentioned hip locales for music, I'll put this here rather than Mills/50. Deep in this intown residential neighborhood, it's the Person Cave. It looks to be to listening spaces what Maxine's on Shine is for foodies.

http://bungalower.com/2018/08/20/garage-turned-gathering-space-rocking-colonialtown-neighborhood/

There's also Will's Pub on Mills and I'll let Andy tell you about spots for music along Orange Ave downtown.

From Bungalower

Awesome, thanks for the recs!

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, opivys85 said:

I didn't realize you have moved already.  I hope you are settling down and enjoying it here. 

As for having more hangouts, Orlando is getting there.  When I moved back here, I was surprised by all the food trucks and microbreweries.  We did that 15 years ago where where I moved from.  (And you probably did it 15 years ago in New Orleans).   It was pretty upsetting.  But I learned about some really great places around town.  You have to kind of dig deep, but it's there for the finding.  Have fun exploring.  It's a pretty eclectic place.  For example, I am dying to try an Ethiopian place I stumbled on.  Can't wait.

31 minutes ago, Jernigan said:
Permit Number: MPL2018-10061
Project: Orange and Robinson Apartments
Address: 336 N ORANGE AVE ORLANDO FL
Description: Master Plan request for a 325-unit multi-family development with a 606 space parking garage.
Application Status: Open

Is this the parking lot due south of the BOA tower?

7 hours ago, I am Reality said:

I would hypothesize a contributing factor very well might be that since most tourists never make it to the City proper, there are tons of folks voting in a survey like this who've visited Orlando but have never seen the skyline.  Or, think I-Drive is the skyline...

Edited by uncreativeusername

3 hours ago, Jernigan said:
Description: Master Plan request for a 325-unit multi-family development with a 606 space parking garage.

In a not rude way, I do not understand the point of this post. Can someone kindly explain?

image.thumb.png.a049869b8c82ab9ba9e7f970c099bce9.png

Edited by IAmFloridaBorn
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, IAmFloridaBorn said:

In a not rude way, I do not understand the point of this post. Can someone kindly explain?

image.thumb.png.a049869b8c82ab9ba9e7f970c099bce9.png

To inform the team that a permit application has been filed for a new multi family project   Currently called the Orange & Robinson apartments at the north west corner of Orange and Robinson .   

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Jernigan said:

To inform the team that a permit application has been filed for a new multi family project   Currently called the Orange & Robinson apartments at the north west corner of Orange and Robinson .   

Cool I was just over thinking it. This is good. Can have over 1000 unit's potentially in that area depending on Golden Sparrow

Edited by IAmFloridaBorn
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, uncreativeusername said:

I would hypothesize a contributing factor very well might be that since most tourists never make it to the City proper, there are tons of folks voting in a survey like this who've visited Orlando but have never seen the skyline.  Or, think I-Drive is the skyline...

Orlando gets 70-80 million visitors a year that Anchorage, Kansas City or Wilmington, NC don't get.  But we're not even top 50?

You make a really good point about International Drive.  Do tourists think that is downtown Orlando?  

11 hours ago, Jernigan said:

When will preliminary information be available on the MPB website?

• Like 1