Downtown Orlando Project Discussion

sunshine

49 minutes ago, Jernigan said:

To inform the team that a permit application has been filed for a new multi family project   Currently called the Orange & Robinson apartments at the north west corner of Orange and Robinson .   

It's about time! Good catch.

The Diocese originally intended the apartments for senior citizens with an affordable housing component for the elderly. It will be interesting to see if they still want to go down that route, because if so, I'm sure that will affect the overall quality grade (i.e. we probably shouldn't expect modern urban lofts with floor to ceiling glass windows and award winning architecture).

Edited by nite owℓ
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, Dale said:

Would you say it sucks ?

I’m not that nice.

2 hours ago, Jernigan said:

To inform the team that a permit application has been filed for a new multi family project   Currently called the Orange & Robinson apartments at the north west corner of Orange and Robinson .   

So the permit calls for generally the same amount of units/parking  as Modera and 520.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, nite owℓ said:

It's about time! Good catch.

The Diocese originally intended the apartments for senior citizens with an affordable housing component for the elderly. It will be interesting to see if they still want to go down that route, because if so, I'm sure that will affect the overall quality grade (i.e. we probably shouldn't expect modern urban lofts with floor to ceiling glass windows and award winning architecture).

Another issue if they go the senior housing route is that they'll likely turn the place into a fortress at that location. The retirement towers over in South Eola, although they've gotten better as the neighborhood has improved over the years, have been absolutely paranoid about their residents interacting with the neighborhood. I can only imagine what it will be like if they're cheek by jowl with the Orange Ave bar district. 

13 minutes ago, Ivanhoe said:

I’m not that nice.

So the permit calls for generally the same amount of units/parking  as Modera and 520.

Ivanhoe, it's super weird you and Dale spend so much time thinking about me.  Under other circumstances, it would maybe  be flattering,  But it's really gotten kind of odd.

I have never noticed either of you until this week.  Are you new on here?  Is criticizing me your thing?  I honestly couldn't tell you anything else either of you have said.  About anything.

My suggestion . . . spend your time on something else.  

And for the unpteenth time, kindly block me.  This is getting old. 

2 hours ago, I am Reality said:

Orlando gets 70-80 million visitors a year that Anchorage, Kansas City or Wilmington, NC don't get.  But we're not even top 50?

You make a really good point about International Drive.  Do tourists think that is downtown Orlando?  

Actually,  yes they do.  I just spent a lot of time in JFK and LHR and many random airport bar conversations (even with people from FL.) prove that many people consider I-Drive/Convention Center to be Downtown Orlando. 

On 6/7/2018 at 5:48 PM, FLClarkKent said:

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, RedStar25 said:

Actually,  yes they do.  I just spent a lot of time in JFK and LHR and many random airport bar conversations (even with people from FL.) prove that many people consider I-Drive/Convention Center to be Downtown Orlando. 

That shouldn't be terribly surprising. Most tourists are blissfully unaware of downtown Las Vegas, assuming the Strip is the main drag. (That has begun to change with additional developments but only slowly, as Bob Snow discovered when he tried to do Rosie's there.)

Walt Disney made the decision to separate the Florida Project at the beginning (after all, the purpose was to build an Experimenal Prototype Community of Tomorrow), GOREDCO and other developers reinforced it as did Orange County voters when they selected the site for OCCC. Sea World and Universal did the same. Since that's by far as biggest industry (tech did the same thing  when Martin located on Sand Lake Rd and the state put UCF in the palmetto scrubs east of town.) 

Downtown has grown (a lot) and nearly come back from the dead over the years but the fundamental elements haven't changed about our economy and aren't likely to so long as tourism and tech continue to grow here.

That is surprising what you guys are saying about International Drive being the "face" of Orlando.

I have always assumed visitors knew there is real city here.  For a city it's size, Orlando actually has a lot of visibility.  

It's in the national news a lot (for better or worse).  I never hear anything about certain cities (Tampa, Phoenix and San Antonio come immediately to mind).

Our sports teams have done well (past and present).

Movies have been set here (not just filmed here).

We even have a television show set here. 

I would think most people understand it's a fairly large city.

Edited by I am Reality
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, I am Reality said:

That is surprising what you guys are saying about International Drive being the "face" of Orlando.

I have always assumed visitors knew there is real city here.  For a city it's size, Orlando actually has a lot of visibility.  

It's in the national news a lot (for better or worse).  I never hear anything about certain cities (Tampa, Phoenix and San Antonio come immediately to mind).

Our sports teams have done well (past and present).

Movies have been set here (not just filmed here).

We even have a television show set here. 

I would think most people understand it's a fairly large city.

You never hear anything about those cities, but you assume they have a downtown like most. When you visit I-Drive, you assume that is downtown because that’s all you see. You don’t even pass by downtown when leaving and arriving because the drive to the airport bypasses it.

same thing.

They’ve been set here in a very general sense. The only movie that’s really been set here is Paper Towns, which barely featured the city itself.

Fresh off the Boat does not actually film here and the establishing shots don’t normally include downtown because it’s set in the suburbs. I believe it’s supposed to be the Dr. Phillips area.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, WAJAS98 said:

You never hear anything about those cities, but you assume they have a downtown like most. When you visit I-Drive, you assume that is downtown because that’s all you see. You don’t even pass by downtown when leaving and arriving because the drive to the airport bypasses it.

same thing.

They’ve been set here in a very general sense. The only movie that’s really been set here is Paper Towns, which barely featured the city itself.

Fresh off the Boat does not actually film here and the establishing shots don’t normally include downtown because it’s set in the suburbs. I believe it’s supposed to be the Dr. Phillips area.

I recently saw the movie "Sisters," with Tina Fey and Amy Poehler. Was really surprised that it was set in Orlando. Did a little digging and found out that the writer (who had a writing stint on SNL for a while) was from here originally, hence setting her movie in Orlando. Wasn't filmed here, but there were a few skyline shots throughout.  And there were no jokes about theme parks, tourists, etc.  It was just, hey, this is a place where people actually live.

Interestingly, something that is filming here is called David Makes Man. It's a drama series for OWN - Oprah's channel. Written by the guy who wrote Moonlight, with Phylicia Rashad on board as one of the cast. Not set here, supposed to take place in inner city Miami. I think filming gets underway this fall.  https://www.clickorlando.com/entertainment/filming-for-owns-david-makes-man-underway-in-orlando

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, Ivanhoe said:

Now I’m dating myself...

Does that get weird around the holidays?  It must be hard surprising yourself with gifts.

17 minutes ago, codypet said:

They did actually film Monster in Orlando.  It completely took me out of the movie after the opening scene.  I pretty much tried to identify locations the whole rest of the movie after that.

That was the main redeeming feature for The Florida Project (Kissimmee) for me.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

49 minutes ago, spenser1058 said:

D.A.R.Y.L. and Parenthood (both from the '80's) did extensive filming in actual Orlando locations (including my old boss' house.)

I watched them filming a scene from D.A.R.Y.L. at a house on Euclid Ave...

euclid.png

They also had the on and off ramps at the 408 and Mills shut down for a night or two while they were filming on the 408. They had some kind of wood ramps built for some reason. I was living at Pine and Summerlin at the time, so I walked over there and watched a little.

As for Parenthood, I worked as a substitute teacher for OCPS for awhile back then. One day when I was working an assignment at WP 9th Grade Center, word spread around the cafeteria during lunch that Ron Howard was supposed to show up because they were doing a scene at one of the softball fields behind the school. Everybody was hanging around the courtyard waiting and time was running out. The bell for the end of lunch was about a minute or two away and the chances of seeing him were dwindling, when  suddenly, an old Datsun B210 pulled up and out stepped Richie Cunningham!! All the kids were waving and yelling "Hey Opie!!!" He smiled and waved back then disappeared around the corner. The bell rang and the crowd dispersed. Just like in the movies. 

And finally, let's also not forget Ernest Saves Christmas

I watched them filming a scene from that one on Orange Avenue one afternoon, too. Scene had to do with a young gal running out of a store and jumping into a taxi cab. The cab would drive around the block, come back and they'd do it again. Must've refilmed it 20 times while I was there. It was the block between Pine and Central on the west side of Orange. I tried to get into a scene by standing in the doorway of McCrory's, but apparently, like so many other would be stars, I ended up on the cutting room floor. :cry:

• Like 3

2 hours ago, codypet said:

They did actually film Monster in Orlando.  It completely took me out of the movie after the opening scene.  I pretty much tried to identify locations the whole rest of the movie after that.

That bit where they are in Southern Nights and then walk out the door to the parking lot of Whiskey Lou's totally broke my immersion. :P

42 minutes ago, Camillo Sitte said:

"Parenthood', Ron Howard, "Monster", Academy awards? Pfft.

The undisputed  king of filmed-in-Orlando movies has to be "Shakma!"

61XnPz0YSJL._SY445_.jpg

I've seen this referenced on various crappy-movie sites that I haunt but never realized it had an Orlando connection. Now I have to watch it. 

And speaking of connections, Miami Connection has tons of Orlando scenes - a big kung-fu gang fight down on Church Street and Orange, lots of UCF scenes (because that's where all the kung-fu rock bands who go on world tour go to school) and there's a running ninja sword fight in what might be Mayor Carl T. Langford Park.  If you enjoy bad movies or Orlando references, I strongly recommend the Rifftrax of this film. 

• Like 1